Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Daytime running lights dim/flickering

Registered Member

2016 Mazda CX-5 AWD GT

Thanks for the info.

My passenger side failed in October and the dealer replaced it with one they had in stock which happened to be the H version (didn’t know at the time of replacement about the J). The one they replaced it with looked equal to the Drivers side so I had happy.

Now, a few months later the Drivers side went. After doing research I saw about the J version. I checked with my dealer and they confirmed the J version was order for my drivers side.

I contacted the dealer and told them I was a little upset they didn’t give me the J version back in November and instead used an H version that was in stock from July (sticker on headlight shows (7/2017).

They told me if there’s any noticeable difference they will try to get me the J for the passenger side (I have a feeling they will deny even if it is mismatched).

Mazda CC covered the passenger side in November for 75% of the P&L cost and the Drivers side for tomorrow at 100% of the P&L cost.

Seeing as I have 65k and they still covered most of the replacement costs I don’t want to sound ungrateful but at the same time I don’t want it looking mismatched when they should have ordered a J version in the first place back in November instead of using an older stock piece.

I guess we will see what tomorrow brings.
    Mike

2016 Mazda CX-5 AWD GT
    Blue Reflex Mica w/ Black Interior
    Tech and I-Activsense Packages
    ------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
    '16 Mazda CX-5 AWD GT (New / Wife's DD)
    '16 Ford F-150 XLT Sport (New / My DD)

Registered Member

2016 Mazda CX-5 AWD GT

So quick follow up. I had the light replaced today - from what I can tell the new J DRL ring looks identical to the older H version on my passenger side - I can’t really see any noticeable differences in my dark garage - I’m going to look again tonight from a further distance.

However, the new J headlight (left on photo) seems to have a more yellowish color to it when compared the other side older H side (right on photo). I can see the tint difference when looking at the housing from the side and when looking at the wall projection. I’ll further evaluate this tonight but I’m uncertain if I should make a deal out of it.

My service manager told me to call him tomorrow either way if I’m happy or not, and if not he will get back on the phone with corporate and look into replacing the H version with the J.

I know sometimes LEDs can vary in color for the exact same part so I haven’t decided if it’s worth proceeding or not - especially since I’m at 65k, way out of warranty and they covered most of the cost with the first two.

I tried to take a picture of the color difference but it's hard with a camera. This is the best I got. I can see the color difference more on my iphone then on my laptop.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by adgjqetuo; 03-28-2018 at 02:45 PM.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow Daytime running lights dim/flickering

Quote Originally Posted by adgjqetuo View Post
    So quick follow up. ⋯
    So MNAO covered 75% and now 100% this time on your LED headlight replacements even though you're out of warranty, that really a nice guesture!

I'm pretty sure "J" version was available last November. I guess you should always try to get "J" version for both sides if you can. I believe something must be wrong on "H" version, hence the upgraded "J" superseded it.

Can you see those white dots along the DRL accent strip on your "H" LED headlight?

Registered Member

2016 Mazda CX-5 AWD GT

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    So MNAO covered 75% and now 100% this time on your LED headlight replacements even though you're out of warranty, that really a nice guesture!

I'm pretty sure "J" version was available last November. I guess you should always try to get "J" version for both sides if you can. I believe something must be wrong on "H" version, hence the upgraded "J" superseded it.

Can you see those white dots along the DRL accent strip on your "H" LED headlight?
    Yes, my total out of pocket for parts and labor for both sides was only $300 when it should have been around $2,600 - I am very grateful to Mazda CEC which is why i'm not sure if I should be picky and ask for a third replacement.

I took pictures of both DRLs if anyone is interested.

Passenger's side (installed 11/2017):
    HL Sticker states: KA0G-51-030H (Manufacture date 7/2017)
    Invoice states: KA0G-51-031H

Driver's side (installed 03/2018):
    HL Sticker states: KA0G-51-040H (Manufacture date 1/2018)
    Invoice states: KA0G-51-041J

I'm not sure why the part numbers don't match up - but both look to have the dot matrix DRLs and around equal brightness and color. The only issue I seem to be having is the newer one looks to have a slightly more yellow tint on the headlamp.
    Last edited by adgjqetuo; 03-28-2018 at 04:37 PM.

Registered Member

2016 Mazda CX-5 AWD GT

Here are the part stickers since I can only do 5 Images per post...
    Last edited by adgjqetuo; 03-28-2018 at 04:28 PM.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Here are the part stickers since I can only do 5 Images per post...
    Where are the part number labels in your picture? Yeh the part numbers are wrong, and both of yours are "H" version? BTW the "J" version LED headlights are available as early as my post here dated on 8/21/2017:

Yeah if the cost of replacement on these LED DRLs is similar to incandescent or halogen bulbs, nobody would complain! But now you're talking about $1,250 list for a single replacement unit of LED headlight for flickering DRLs! With labor Mazda dealer often charges $1,500 for a single LED headlight replacement on something which is supposed to last a lot longer than 2 years!

The only good news out of this is the list prices on latest "J" version of these LED headlights are cheaper now:

UNIT(R) HEAD LAMP - MAZDA CX-5 Right with LED
    KA0G-51-031J (Replaces: KA0G-51-031C, KA0G-51-031D, KA0G-51-031G, KA0G-51-031H, KA0G-51-031)
    List Price: $1,059.36

UNIT(L) HEAD LAMP - MAZDA CX-5 Left with LED
    KA0G-51-041J (Replaces: KA0G-51-041C, KA0G-51-041D, KA0G-51-041G, KA0G-51-041H, KA0G-51-041)
    List Price: $1,048.88

Hopefully the problems on LED headlights have been truely fixed after that many revisions during these 2 years ⋯
    And here are part numbers on the box of my replacement LED headlights:

Got my 2016 CX-5 back with a new pair of “J” version LED headlights replaced under warranty due to failed accent LED DRLs. Mazda/Stanley actually has changed the hardware design of the accent LED DRLs as my originals use fiber optic LED accent light similar to BMW’s “angel eyes”, but my new ones now have many bright white LED “dots” which looks like most other LED accent DRLs. Of course I like smooth and more expensive fiber optic LED accent DRLs much better, but apparently Mazda/Stanley couldn’t overcome the reliability issue with fiber optic LED accent light for some reason and had to change the hardware design totally. Now I know why the MSRP’s on newer “J” version LED headlights are about $150 lower than previous versions.

Attachment 218817Attachment 218818

Registered Member

2016 Mazda CX-5 AWD GT

Where are the part number labels in your picture? Yeh the part numbers are wrong, and both of yours are "H" version? BTW the "J" version LED headlights are available as early as my post here dated on 8/21/2017
    On the back of the HL housing. It was fairly easy to find by looking in the engine bay.

They both state “H” on the housing sticker but I clearly have the dots now. The invoice shows the $1,049 “J” price too.
    Last edited by adgjqetuo; 03-28-2018 at 05:17 PM.

Yes, my total out of pocket for parts and labor for both sides was only $300 when it should have been around $2,600 - I am very grateful to Mazda CEC which is why i'm not sure if I should be picky and ask for a third replacement.

I took pictures of both DRLs if anyone is interested.

Passenger's side (installed 11/2017):
    HL Sticker states: KA0G-51-030H (Manufacture date 7/2017)
    Invoice states: KA0G-51-031H

Driver's side (installed 03/2018):
    HL Sticker states: KA0G-51-040H (Manufacture date 1/2018)
    Invoice states: KA0G-51-041J

I'm not sure why the part numbers don't match up - but both look to have the dot matrix DRLs and around equal brightness and color. The only issue I seem to be having is the newer one looks to have a slightly more yellow tint on the headlamp.
    Wife just got back and it’s raining. Here are the info of my replacement LED headlights:

Passenger's side (installed 3/17/2018”):
    HL Sticker states: KA0G-51-030H (Manufacture date 12/28/2017)
    Invoice states: KA0G-51-031J Unit (R), Head Lamp

A56EBBE4-5202-42BE-BAD9-03813981E37B.jpeg

Driver's side (installed 3/17/2018):
    HL Sticker states: KA0G-51-040H (Manufacture date 12/13/2017)
    Invoice states: KA0G-51-041J Unit (L), Head Lamp

44A466F1-C0EC-448E-A598-E53BD7D7BA0B.jpeg

So your “H” version LED headlight seems to be the same as my “J” version after all.

Registered Member

2016 Mazda CX-5 AWD GT

So your “H” version LED headlight seems to be the same as my “J” version after all.
    Interesting - good to know the numbers are the same. Thanks for taking the time!

I looked at mine at night and the DRL look balanced on both housings. However, I definitely notice a slight color difference between my driver and passenger side head lamps.

I shined them against my white garage door at night and I can see the Drivers side installed today has a more yellowish tint compared to the passenger side replaced a few months ago which is more crisp white.

Sucks - I guess I’m not sure if I want to push my luck for a third housing that may or may not be different.

Honestly, I like the older passenger side (crisp white) better.

CX5

As I mentioned earlier, I had the same issue. They ended up replacing BOTH (eventually) with J lamps but the right side is oddly still more blue than the left side but not as bad as it was when one was J and one original. I also preferred the cooler blue color but I think they changed it a bit because of glare complaints from opposing traffic.

I would recommend that you change the passenger side if it's the original and if they will cover it out of warranty, it WILL fail if it's the first batch headlight and will also have a high chance of developing the white residue inside the housing due to a design flaw. (My J lamps have not developed the white residue after 6 months, the originals started showing the residue within 2 months of vehicle purchase)

Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    As I mentioned earlier, I had the same issue. They ended up replacing BOTH (eventually) with J lamps but the right side is oddly still more blue than the left side but not as bad as it was when one was J and one original. I also preferred the cooler blue color but I think they changed it a bit because of glare complaints from opposing traffic.

I would recommend that you change the passenger side if it's the original and if they will cover it out of warranty, it WILL fail if it's the first batch headlight and will also have a high chance of developing the white residue inside the housing due to a design flaw. (My J lamps have not developed the white residue after 6 months, the originals started showing the residue within 2 months of vehicle purchase)
    Do you mind to check part numbers on actual label on the back end of replacement headlights? My "J" version headlights still say "H" on the actual labels. See pictures in post #143 above.

And I agree, the LED DRLs on original LED headlights WILL fail!

Registered Member

2017 CX-5 GT AWD

i haven't really looked but does anyone know if the gen2 uses dot matrix leds or fiber optics? the LEDs look very nice at night or overcast but in sunlight conditions it's sometimes hard to tell if they're even on, especially since the always-on headlight washes them out too
    Last edited by Carfo; 04-11-2018 at 10:47 AM.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5 GT AWD

saw a cx5 with the "j" version today in the sunlight and could barely tell the car had DRLs. they looked really bad. in comparison, a few cars down the road was another cx5 with the original LED DRLs and the difference is incredible. even though the sunlight was hitting it, you could still see it clearly and had a nice blue tint. the new DRLs looked really washed out-- had to really look to see if it even had the LED DRLs.

even the 2017-18 cx5 has this issue although it's not as bad. in the sunlight it's hard to tell if the headlights are even on. at night they look incredible, but i wish they took the cx9's LED drls and put the min the cx5.
    Last edited by Carfo; 04-11-2018 at 10:50 AM.

Registered Member

2016 CX-5 GT | FWD | Soul Red | Tech Package

Quote Originally Posted by arunka007 View Post
    Stealer replaced my entire headlight module last week. Problem resolved. Hope this doesn't happen again after warranty expires
    Spoke too soon. My driver-side headlight module was replaced in Nov 2016 due to the DRL flickering issue. The passenger-side DRL has the exact same issue now and car is not under warranty. Have any of you guys had any success in replacing the headlight module for free outside of warranty? My CX-5 is still within the 3-year period, but past the 36k miles.
    Last edited by arunka007; 04-16-2018 at 10:54 AM.

2017 CX-5 GT AWD MG and previously 2016 CX-5 FWD GT SR

Quote Originally Posted by arunka007 View Post
    Spoke too soon. My driver-side headlight module was replaced in Nov 2016 due to the DRL flickering issue. The passenger-side DRL has the exact same issue now and car is not under warranty. Have any of you guys had any success in replacing the headlight module for free outside of warranty? My CX-5 is still within the 3-year period, but past the 36k miles.
    My dealer replaced my driver's side when my warranty was gone. Still in 3 year period, but way over 36k. They asked their local manager or whatever, they did a 'good faith' deal where she agreed to cover the part if I covered the labor, ended up costing me about 60 something. So doesn't hurt to ask

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast