Load Brake Pedal on Release

Loud Brake Pedal on Release

Is it just me or do the brake pedals spring loudly back into place when you release them and step on the gas? I can't remember if our old CX-5 was like this, but my Audi A4 certainly do not make that sound.

It's when you release the brake pedal and it makes a thump.

*edit: sorry just noticed, title is a typo I meant "Loud" not "Load"

Last edited:
Assuming that you're talking about a 2016, mine doesn't make that sound.
Might want to have the service department check it out and/or compare to another vehicle on the lot or showroom floor.

Assuming that you're talking about a 2016, mine doesn't make that sound.
Might want to have the service department check it out and/or compare to another vehicle on the lot or showroom floor.

thanks. I'll watch it for a couple more days. It's my wife that's driving when I hear it. When I'm driving I either don't hear it, or I'm busy paying attention to the road. It could be possible it's her driving habits or something.

so I drove the cx9 to work today (it's my wife's car so I don't usually drive it). I do hear the sound as well although not as loud as my wife's. I'm thinking I release the brake pedal in a more controlled manner than my wife.

just listening to it a bit more, it sounds like something on the pedal is loose, and it rattles when I let the pedal go and it springs back up to its top position

just an update, I dropped off my cx9 last night to the dealer to get some accessories installed, and I mentioned the brake pedals to them so they can check it out.

in the meantime, they gave me a CX5 as a loaner, 2016 I think. and it seems this one also has the pedal sound issue. although I did notice that the loudness of the sound depends on how quick I pull my foot off. If I just quickly pull my foot off, it louder. compared to when I slowly release the brakes, it's softer. I usually release the brakes slowly and in a controlled manner so the sound for me is softer (although I can still hear it). my wife's though, I'm guessing she releases the brakes more quickly/aggressively so it's louder for her.

so I guess it's more of a driving habit than a car issue?

You may be correct.

I generally ease off the brake pedal and onto the accelerator.
As noted above, I don't have unusual sounds coming from that area.

I can see where a quick release might produce a "popping" sound.

Ok ... just went to the garage to check ... a rapid release or letting my foot slide off the depressed brake pedal does allow for a "thump" and a bit of pedal vibration.
I'd call that behavior normal as the return spring quickly pulls the pedal to the top of its travel (noise).
The vibration is most likely due to clearances between moving parts that prevent the pedal from binding.

I also observe similar behavior in my 2016 Miata.

Bottom line ... I think it's a normal sound.

You may be correct.

I generally ease off the brake pedal and onto the accelerator.
As noted above, I don't have unusual sounds coming from that area.

I can see where a quick release might produce a "popping" sound.

Ok ... just went to the garage to check ... a rapid release or letting my foot slide off the depressed brake pedal does allow for a "thump" and a bit of pedal vibration.
I'd call that behavior normal as the return spring quickly pulls the pedal to the top of its travel (noise).
The vibration is most likely due to clearances between moving parts that prevent the pedal from binding.

I also observe similar behavior in my 2016 Miata.

Bottom line ... I think it's a normal sound.

awesome yes that's exactly what I was experiencing, a thump/popping sound that's louder with a rapid release of the pedals. glad to know it's normal. thanks for your help Turborascal

Back