Mazda5 Engine Knock

ibdead

:
2008 Mazda5
My 2008 Mazda5 has an oil leak that I've been trying to get to the bottom of. It got low on oil and started making a knocking sound from the engine that changes with the rpms. I did some reading online and think it may be rod bearings? How would I go about checking the bearings and what else could it be? Any help is appreciated.

The rod bearings can only be inspected upon removal of the crankshaft.

(boom06)

Start looking around for a low mileage engine to replace it... Who knows what else is damaged in your motor.

Sorry...(thinkbeer

Last edited:
I'm not too mechanical of a guy, is the crankshaft difficult to remove? Do I have to take much off to remove it?

Typically the motor is removed from the car for this, and the engine placed on a stand and turned upside down to access them.

At that point, you may as well replace the piston rings, and oil pump also because they are likely to be damaged by the oil starvation as well.

Typically for most, the quickest and cheapest way to go is to locate a used engine with low mileage, and swap engines.

Last edited:
Engine swap.
To rebuild your engine you are looing into 3k-4k and usually they don't run well after.
Engine swap should be 2k-3k but at least it will run, just look for low mileage one.

Back