Smart City Brake System - Activated at wrong time (when accelerating)

Aerya

:
2016 CX-5 GT Tech
Hi everyone, newbie here.

I bought my 2016 CX-5 GT with tech package in January 2016. Drove it all winter, spring and summer fine, until today. Today's weather is very grey and has a light mist and occasional light rain coming down. I live in Ontario, Canada.

I encountered the activation of the SCBS while in bumper to bumper traffic. We had been going forward a couple feet here and there, stop and go. Then traffic opened up (light ahead turned green) so when the car in front of me started going, I waited to have proper spacing between us for me to start accelerating. So I started and the car in front kept going faster and I had plenty of room in front of me (yay no more traffic!). Then I heard a beep and within a second the brakes were on and the car shook (I guess the tires skid a bit from the wet pavement). I was going a reasonable speed (approx. 20km/h), had plenty of room in front of me and I was accelerating. The car behind me was very surprised by the braking and it took a couple seconds before it would register my accelerating again.

It totally freaked me out because it shouldn't have breaked. I think the rain made the system overreact (like it saw something in front of the car). However, from the info I've seen, the system isn't supposed to work when you're actively accelerating. I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this and if I should contact my dealership. I'm kind of wanting to turn the thing off if it's going to act up like this. Especially since we're going to have snow soon, and definitely more rain.

Thanks for reading.

The Smart City Brake System freaked me out the 1st time too.

There is a TSB showing various reasons for a spurious intervention. I'll see if I can dig it out.

Great explanation! Thanks.
I for one would welcome future technical bulletins you may feel are appropriate for release... but don't go so far that you feel the need to take up residence in the Equadorian embassy. (whistle)

Back