CX9 jerking when shifting from reverse to drive n vise versa

Adri96707

:
2014 Mazda CX9 Touring
Anyone has this problem when you press the break pedal to reverse and then break to shift into drive and it clunks and jerks and feels like someone just hit your car from the back?...I haven't taken it in to service yet but what i do is put the car in park turn it off for a min and then turn it back on and its Fine after that, but still have the problem after driving it....

The only "jerking" I have ever experienced is when it's in park without the e-brake on, on an incline, going into reverse or drive.
But from reverse to drive, or from drive to reverse, I've never had a jerk.
Also have a slight jerk from 2nd gear to 3rd gear when cold, leaving the house, going up our hill. But it's always been that way, no change when I performed a drain/refill of the trans. (fwd).

I know yours is newer but here is a TSB related-

Bulletin No: 05-001/14

Last Issued: 11/18/2014
Subject:
2011-2013 CX-9 - ENGINE SURGE AND/OR SHIFT SHOCK

BULLETIN NOTE
* ^ This bulletin supersedes the previous bulletin 05-001/14, issued 01/21/14 and 04/03/14. The REPAIR PROCEDURE has been revised.

^ Changes are noted below in Red beside the change bar or by asterisks.*

APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS

2011-2013 CX-9 vehicles with VINs lower than JM3TB******424854 (produced before July 17, 2013)

DESCRIPTION

Some vehicles may experience one or more of the following concerns:
^ Engine surging concern when the vehicle is driven up hill with the cruise control ON.

^ Shift shock when shifting from N, R or from P to D.

^ Shift shock when down shifting from 5 to 4.

Engine Surge cause: Due to an inadequate control logic of the TCM, the throttle valve repeats ON and OFF before obtaining enough driving force to maintain the set speed on an up hill road. The TCM control logic has been optimized to eliminate engine surge as of Jan. 15, 2013 vehicle production (VIN: JM3TB******410765).

Shift Shock cause: Inadequate learning of hydraulic pressure leakage by the TCM may occur depending on production variation of the seal ring inside the transaxle. In this case, correction of the hydraulic pressure during shifting operation is not properly performed causing a shift shock. The TCM control logic has been optimized to eliminate shift shock as of Jul. 17, 2013 vehicle production (VIN: JM3TB******424854).

CONTINUED -

Perform the "INITIAL LEARNING PROCEDURE" found below.

WARNING : When performing initial learning, be aware of other vehicles, people, and other impediments in order to avoid an accident.

NOTE : While self-learning control gradually reduces shock during normal driving, initial learning is performed to initially learn a certain number of driving conditions.

INITIAL LEARNING PROCEDURE:
a. WARM-UP:

Increase the ATF temperature by leaving the engine at idling or city driving. Verify that the ATF temperature is between 66 - 110 C {151 - 230 F}. If the ATF temperature is outside this range, work to bring it inside the range.
CAUTION : Do not raise the ATF temperature by stalling the engine.

NOTE : If the ATF temperature is not between 66 - 110 C {151 - 230 F}, initial learning cannot be performed. Before learning, inspect for variable shift shock.

b. GARAGE SHIFT MODE:

With the vehicle standing still, depress the brake pedal and keep the selector lever in N position for 3 seconds. Then, shift the selector lever from the N position into D position, and maintain this condition for 3 seconds. Repeat this procedure 5 times. Then repeat it again 5 times in R position.
c. INSPECT LEARNING RESULTS:

Verify that variable speed shock and shift shock have decreased compared to the conditions before learning.
*7. (For TCM Replacement Only): Perform the "TCM NEUTRAL POSITION LEARNING" procedure according to MS3 online or the Workshop Manual (section 05-17 TCM NEUTRAL POSITION LEARNING [AY6AEL, AY6AX-EL]).*

*8. Verify the repair.*

Back