2013 skyactive 6speed shifting question

davemsc

:
mazda protege5
Hey all,
I just picked up a2013 Mazda 3 gs-sky active. I'll be on these forums a lot... You guys know your stuff! Great source of info!
I have a question on shifting.
I'm hoping it's just an issue of me not used to this car, but I'm having trouble shifting smooth from 1st to 2nd. I lurch it forward almost everytime. Other gears are fine.
Anyone else notice this or am I just not used to it? I've never really had any issue adapting to different manuals before so I'm kinda nervous this might not be me. The clutch checked out ok.
Thanks all. Greatly appreciate any feedback.
Cheers
Dave
Oh and one other thing. They have 215 45 17 on them. That should be fine right? They are coming off a 2012... Rims and everything. I think the normal is 205 50 17.

What size should winters be... The original size tires on the car were 205 55 16 so I'm thinking they would be a good size for winters?
Thanks!!

I can't say anything about the shifting, since my 3 has an auto trans, but regarding your tires:

215/45/17 = 24.6 inches/625mm

205/50/17 = 25.1 inches/638mm

205/55/16 = 24.9 inches/633mm

You should be fine with any of these sizes, although I would be tempted to get 205/50/17 snow tires if the majority of your winter driving is on dry or wet roads. 55 aspect ratio tires tend to be somewhat sloppy in the steering response/handling department.

"Lurch" suggests that your difficult isn't with the actual shift at all, but with re-engaging the clutch. I don't have this difficulty, so all I can suggest is to pay attention to what you are doing with the clutch pedal, rather than thinking it's your shifting

Back