CX-9 2.5T drives better with 91 Octane

Mine also hangs around 18-20 MPG (18 in the dead of winter, 20 in summer temps). 90% "city" driving, with a very short 80km/h stretch on my commutes to and from work. I would expect better numbers if you're on the highway more often, but that can easily be negated if you're a little heavy in the foot. Admittedly, its really easy to push the car without noticing it :)

I called Mazda. They stated 0 testing has ever been done on 91, but that the relationship is linear and based offnof 02 readings....which Infind odd..but ok

I called Mazda. They stated 0 testing has ever been done on 91, but that the relationship is linear and based offnof 02 readings....which Infind odd..but ok

Interesting thanks. I'm not sure what percentage of the country carries 93 octane but I never see it anywhere in the intermountain west. Mostly 91 and occasionally 92 in Montana. So I'm going to go with 240 HP on 91 octane. I wonder why Mazda chose 93 octane as the measuring stick? Bigger power number I guess.

Interesting thanks. I'm not sure what percentage of the country carries 93 octane but I never see it anywhere in the intermountain west. Mostly 91 and occasionally 92 in Montana. So I'm going to go with 240 HP on 91 octane. I wonder why Mazda chose 93 octane as the measuring stick? Bigger power number I guess.

I only use non-ethanol fuel. For a while, no 93 octane non-ethanol was available where I live. It's back now and the Mazda rides silky smooth getting 22mpg in 90% city driving.

It makes sense on a smart ecm vehicle that it would get very slightly better mpg on fuel that gives more power. At any given power requirement on the road you are a few percent smaller throttle opening..

But yeah I'll stick with my 87. I don't think you can beat it dollar wise despite that. I think lately ours has been at twenty and a half.

The 22 on ethanol free don't surprise me either, that ethanol stuff has good octane boosting effect, but its not got much energy in it. My gallon probably has 5% less calories versus yours.

Back