Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CX-9 2.5T drives better with 91 Octane

Registered Member

CX-9

Quote Originally Posted by MattGoose View Post
    I've long suspected, but have been unable to prove, that there is something off with my car.
    Sounds like you are correct. i routinely get 22.4 mpg (10.5l/100km) just driving into town and back doing shopping and the like, and I averaged 26 mpg (9l/100km) on a recent highway trip of about 300 km, typically running at about 10 km/h over the limit. All on regular gas.

Could there perhaps be a problem with your right foot?

Registered Member

Mazda CX-9 Signature

Well.. very cold weather will yield poor mpg

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 GT

I bought it for the zoom-zoom, right

In all honestly, not really any different than the Honda Pilot that I had before that - got right around 21mpg with that.

I do spend a LOT of time in stop and go traffic driving in the ring of hell around the Boston area. But even on clean highway trips in the low to mid 70's I've never seen anything approaching 26mpg.

I've long suspected, but have been unable to prove, that there is something off with my car.
    I wonder if the cold temps and bad traffic are playing a big role. I am now in South Carolina and a cold day for us is 45 degrees. Most days have been in the 50's and 60's since my purchase. That has to be close to ideal temps for a car! I am also pretty good about coasting when I can and I generally don't drive much over the speed limit in town and only up to 9 MPH over the speed limit on the highways
    2014 Silver Mazda CX-5 GT
    2017 Eternal Blue Mazda 3 Touring
    2018 Machine Grey Mazda CX-9 Signature

2018 Mazda6, CX-9

I bought it for the zoom-zoom, right

In all honestly, not really any different than the Honda Pilot that I had before that - got right around 21mpg with that.

I do spend a LOT of time in stop and go traffic driving in the ring of hell around the Boston area. But even on clean highway trips in the low to mid 70's I've never seen anything approaching 26mpg.

The likelyhood of something being wrong with a new car in that it affects fuel economy is super slim.
    There's millions of variables that determine economy, mostly driving style. Engine development is extremely consistent with only rare lemons. My CX-9 also hangs around 20 mpg.
    2018 CX-9 Signature
    2018 Mazda 6 GT Reserve

My Way IS the Highway

2018 CX-9 Signature Silver & 2007 CX-7 GT AWD Liq Platinum

K
    Quote Originally Posted by Silly Wabbit View Post
    Well.. very cold weather will yield poor mpg
    Very true indeed. I*ve been driving the turbo four in the 7 these past 12 years, and in extreme cold temps, say below 20 degrees F, gas miliage drops precipitously. If temps get into single digits, it is easily 20-25% fewer miles per gallon. That engine was never known for great efficiency, so a drop from 18 or 19, down to 13 or 14 mpg is very noticeable. I think turbos are likely more susceptible than naturally aspirated engines.

Donated: $25

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

Mine also hangs around 18-20 MPG (18 in the dead of winter, 20 in summer temps). 90% "city" driving, with a very short 80km/h stretch on my commutes to and from work. I would expect better numbers if you're on the highway more often, but that can easily be negated if you're a little heavy in the foot. Admittedly, its really easy to push the car without noticing it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12