All-New 2017 Mazda CX-5 to Premiere at Los Angeles Auto Show

All-new-CX-5_teaser-image-2-1024x411.jpg

2017-Mazda-CX-3-side-view-alloy-wheels.jpg

Looks kinda of like a bigger version of the 2017 CX-3 (styling-wise).

The front overhang on that CX-5 looks enormous. Like 2X as long as the CX-3 which is already too damn long.

The front overhang on that CX-5 looks enormous. Like 2X as long as the CX-3 which is already too damn long.

Yeah has to fit the 2.5l engine and the headers. If you've ever seen the Mazda3 hatchback or sedan in person now that thing also has a long hood relative to the rest of the car's shape. The Mazda6 and CX-9 look balanced with the long hood. The CX-5 (2012-2016) don't appear like the hoods look too long for their size.

These photos are of the CX-3 which is derived from the Mazda2 platform.

Last edited:
Yeah has to fit the 2.5l engine and the headers. If you've ever seen the Mazda3 hatchback or sedan in person now that thing also has a long hood relative to the rest of the car's shape. The Mazda6 and CX-9 look balanced with the long hood. The CX-5 (2012-2016) don't appear like the hoods look too long for their size.

These photos are of the CX-3 which is derived from the Mazda2 platform.

The 2013-2016.5 CX-5's also fit the 2.5L engine and their overhang is not as large as what is barely visible in the dark picture. I hope the picture is just misleading, because if not, the approach angle is going to be really really bad on the 2017's.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 2013.png
    2013.png
    128.6 KB · Views: 1,103
  • 2017.png
    2017.png
    23.4 KB · Views: 1,064
Last edited:
Maybe the overhang is longer because maybe they will finally add turbo option?

CX-9 engine shown:

2016_mazda_cx-9_overseas_25.jpg

Maybe the overhang is longer because maybe they will finally add turbo option?

CX-9 engine shown:

2016_mazda_cx-9_overseas_25.jpg

I don't think there is a platform change - that's a big deal. Sheet metal updates. I believe there is enough room in the current compartment for a turbo, Mazda usually leaves enough space for it when designing their cars. Note the large space around the exhaust header.

EDIT: Yup, there's room: http://www.autoblog.com/2016/07/08/mazdas-new-turbo-four-fits-in-6-and-3/

Last edited:
Lease on my '15 CX-5 is up late May 2017. I have a whopping 12K miles on it.

Guess, I'll wait 'n see...

Ok we can all assume it will look very similar to the latest CX-9, based off of the spyphotos and inside Mazda teaser:

2016_cx9_18-1400x540.jpg

Man, can the LA Autoshow come any sooner???!? I want to see the updated interior.

That actually looks pretty darn good! The photo seems to have a TINY bit of horizontal stretch to it, to my eyes, though. Maybe? Maybe they just chose angles very carefully to give that appearance.

One of the things I like best about the current is there isn't chrome trim. Only thing I dislike more is plastic pieces made to look like wood. Makes zero sense to me.

Back