Ticking sound

cincyfan218

:
Mazda 5
My wife drives a 2014 Mazda 5 Sport, 6 speed manual transmission, 34k miles and it recently started making a ticking sound when accelerating. I drove it tonight and the symptoms have changed a bit.

So the ticking sound changes in frequency and tone as the engine revs, but if the clutch is pushed in, or the car is put in neutral, no tick - even if I rev the engine while in neutral.

There has been no noticable change in performance nor in fuel efficiency. Just the noise.

Because of the mileage, I need to take action before the warranty runs out. However, because it is a manual transmission and the clutch is a wear and tear part I'm on the hook for $120 just to have mazda look at it if it ends up not being covered by the warranty.

In honesty I can't afford even the $120 right now as I'm working 2 jobs just to scrape by since my wife was laid off, so my hippie is that this is something I can (with help and guidance) diagnose and correct on my own. Or at least be reasonably sure when I take it in to the dealer that it will be a warranted item.

Any insight is appreciated!

This could be the tensioner pulley. Take the serpentine belt off and start the motor. Just don't let it run too long. You can also hand crank with the belt on.

Back