2009 Manual, 5th gear popping out

Getsmurfed

:
2009 MZ5 SP P
My Wife ant I just rotated cars, so I just started daily driving the '09 that we have had for 4 years. After 2 weeks of me driving it, it popped out of 5th gear on the highway, and now will not stay in 5th anymore. If I put it in 5th while loading the engine, it holds the gear, but the second I let off the throttle to coast, it chirps and kick the stick into neutral. I tried holding it in gear, and it makes a terrible squealing sound... so I'm only using 4 gears now.

It has Koni Yellows up front, and the Trans fluid was replaced with Ford MC Full Synth 11 months ago. Since the issue only started yesterday, I have not yet checked the fluid level. I have spent all yesterday searching here and elsewhere, only to find that it might be one of 2 things: low trans fluid, or a bad 5th gear.

Anyone have any other ideas of what it could be?
If I need a new trans, what fits from other models (as a MT 5 is rare in my area)

Thanks

The shift linkage would be something I would want to inspect.

Also a bad motor mount or transmission mount could be allowing the powertrain move, but the shifter linkage is stationary, causing the trans to pop out of gear.

Are you anywhere in the rust belt?

Since it makes that noise when you hold it in gear, I'm betting in worn shaft bearings, internal to the transmission.

http://www.wcengineering.com/articles/popout.html
Internal issues are caused by a few items, but the most common one is worn bearings. The helical-cut gears used in production cars put great strain on the bearings. Helical gears are used because they run much more quietly than straight-cut gears. (However, helical gears are much more expensive to produce, so we know cost isn't the factor here.) The two shafts that are engaged with helical-cut gears are always trying to force each other apart along the axis of the shafts. This force is transferred to the bearings and then onto the case. Once the bearings begin to wear, the shafts develop a small amount of play and can then move along their axes. Since the engagement forks and their respective hubs also move in a motion along the axis of the shafts, any movement is going to effect gear engagement. The shift hubs are normally free to move along the shafts and once pushed or pulled into an engagement position they are held in place by only small "detent" springs. These springs need to apply only a minimal force to hold the hubs in place, but if the shaft was to move along its axis, such as in a "power on, power off" application, the detent springs have no chance of holding the hubs in place.

The car has been in New Jersey the past 4 years, and we purchased from Massachusetts. There is minimal rust on some bolts and brackets in the engine bay, but is overall in pretty good shape.

The Motor/Trans Mounts have not been replaced by me, so I assume they are stock. Whats an easy way to tell if they are shot? The car has always felt sub-par, so stuff might be bad.

I'm afraid that it is something internal, but still hoping that it's not. What Manual Trans are direct swaps, so I can start looking around now...

I replaced the Passenger Motor Mount (it was destroyed). I have the 2 other Mounts, but I had trouble breaking the bolts loose on the Rear Mount, so maybe this weekend. I just got more Trans Fluid, but have not added (showed up too late on Sunday), but when I was under the engine trying to get the Rear mount loose, I noticed that the Passenger side axle seal is leaking, so I MAY be low fluid?

I don't really like this car...

I added Transmission Fluid, put 5 ounces in it, and also replaced the top Transmission Mount. No change. Well it shifts better, but 5th still pops out... I also looked at all the shift linkages, but everything seemed/operated fine.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what Manual transmission swap directly into the 5? I can't afford one right now, but will be driving with 4 gears until I have enough saved up.

And does anyone have a PDF Shop Manual?

Last edited:
Back