2010 CX-9 Transmission needs replacement

My 2010 CX-9 has about 70K miles on it. Couple of weeks ago, the engine and AT light came after I was driving back from the dealer after an oil change + break fluid flush + Coolant flush. The dealer flushed the transmission fluid (it was one of their recommendation which I declined before the problem occurred) which fixed the problem only for few days but now it has resurfaced. The dealer is now telling me that the transmission needs to be changed and quoted me a price of about $5K including labor. Few questions:

1. The light came after the work was done so am I right to be suspicious on the timing of the problem ?
2. Is 5K reasonable ? I live in NJ.
3. I am not entirely convinced that replacing the transmission will solve the problem. I guess it reflects the fact that I do not fully trust the dealer. I am thinking of trading-in for a relatively used car but afraid that I may not get a good deal due to the pre-existing condition. Should I take a chance on replacing the transmission ?

Regards,
-NKA

My 2010 CX-9 has about 70K miles on it. Couple of weeks ago, the engine and AT light came after I was driving back from the dealer after an oil change + break fluid flush + Coolant flush. The dealer flushed the transmission fluid (it was one of their recommendation which I declined before the problem occurred) which fixed the problem only for few days but now it has resurfaced. The dealer is now telling me that the transmission needs to be changed and quoted me a price of about $5K including labor. Few questions:

1. The light came after the work was done so am I right to be suspicious on the timing of the problem ?

timing seems suspicious, but the work that you did get done (oil change + break fluid flush + Coolant flush) should should not have triggered AT light. so it might just be bad luck, you're in NJ, I would assume you have AWD for Jersey winters ? if so, have you serviced the transfer case ever ?

seems a bit high, most transmission avg about $3500 to $4000

3. I am not entirely convinced that replacing the transmission will solve the problem. I guess it reflects the fact that I do not fully trust the dealer. I am thinking of trading-in for a relatively used car but afraid that I may not get a good deal due to the pre-existing condition. Should I take a chance on replacing the transmission ?

Agreed, need to find root cause first before throwing money at the unknown problem, I bet it's the transfer case if you have one.

Regards,

They might have disconnected a trans sensor which is why the light is on and you are having problems. Try to find someone you trust for a second opinion

timing seems suspicious, but the work that you did get done (oil change + break fluid flush + Coolant flush) should should not have triggered AT light. so it might just be bad luck, you're in NJ, I would assume you have AWD for Jersey winters ? if so, have you serviced the transfer case ever ?

seems a bit high, most transmission avg about $3500 to $4000

Agreed, need to find root cause first before throwing money at the unknown problem, I bet it's the transfer case if you have one.

Regards,

Yes, I do have AWD. I don't recall getting transfer case serviced.

Thanks for your response.

-NKA

Last edited:
They might have disconnected a trans sensor which is why the light is on and you are having problems. Try to find someone you trust for a second opinion

Thank you for your comments. I am definitely going to get a second opinion. I have not experienced any transmission type problems while driving.

Yes, I do have AWD. I don't recall getting transfer case serviced.

Thanks for your response.

-NKA

agree with kornholio, check for any disconnected sensors first.

does your cx9 drive normally? or is there jerkiness?

but whoa, at 70,000 miles, it's long overdue for transfer case oil change, I bet that's what it is, the oil in the transfer case has turned to sludge and causing so much drag that it's making the transmission work in overtime which creates more heat and triggering the temp sensor thus the AT dashlight

first thing to check is if there's any signs of oil leak from the transfer case,

even if you put in a new transmission, a faulty or seized transfer case may shear off the new transmission splines

see link below for info :

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123847373-Changing-CX-9-transfer-case-gear-oil-%28photos%29

Last edited:
Back