First real cold morning of the year- tire sensor went off

Infamous-D

:
CX-9, 2015 AWD
Haven't checked actual pressure but doesn't appear to be low on any of the tires and just thinking the cold triggered the drop in pressure.

I have Nitrogen filled tires. Should I check the pressure and throw in some air?

Or should I just restart the system due to the cold?

You are right in the pressure probably went down due to the cold. You will have to get some more air in there. I would check all of the tires, if one went low, the others are probably not too far behind.

Yes you can add some reg air to the NITROGEN...
Do not reset the TPMS without checking/adjusting the tire pressures...

Check the COLD PSI on each tire.

Adjust to desired PSI.

Follow the TPMS Reset procedure. (Press and hold button until you hear beep/flash ~1 sec)

For AIR inflated tires the rule of thumb is that the PSI drops 1.0 PSI for every 10.0 degrees F. of temp drop.

I do not know what the rule of thumb would be for Nitrogen tires, but would like to find out... (cool)

Last edited:
But then how would the sellers of the nitrogen fill systems make any money?

While there are huge benefits to using nitrogen in racing, mainly the PT chart and being able to consistently get the same pressure at a certain tire temperature. Nitrogen does have its place in daily driving too. The pure, dry nitrogen will last longer in your tire, due to the larger molecule size of nitrogen compared to dry atmospheric air, amongst other benefits. Main problem is that shops are way overcharging people for it, and making it out to be like its the end all be all, with no competitor.

Back