Intake off?

Jfunk

:
02 protege5 5spd- wrecked rip. 03 protege5 5spd (parts)
So this weekend I was bored and was looking at cold air and short ram intakes online just for fun and decided that I'm too broke to by one (I'm in high school lol). Out of curiosity looked under my hood and saw that there was a bunch of plastic crap (resonators and crap I assume) attached to the intake. I ripped it all out and now I can hear that nice suction noise a cold air intake gives you. I guess my question is will taking this stuff off hurt my engine/reduce performance. I can't see how it can as the tube from the actual intake and the stock filter box is still there (with the filter in it of course). Something that came across my mind was possibly hydrolocking and the radiator fan blowing the air the intake is trying to suck away but im not sure if I'm just stupid lol. I guess you can't be too safe.

Nope, it's all there to reduce noise.

Regardless of what you read, you can't hydrolock an engine unless you completely submerge the filter.

There is a factory scoop that draws cool air from the grille. Removing the silencer will make it pull hot air off the radiator. Not a huge difference either way, but cooler air is better.

Last edited:
Back