Front turn signal wiring

graham015

:
2014 Mazda CX-5 GS AWD
Hello
I installed LED turn signals on the front of my CX-5 and would like to know if anyone knows which wire does what for the turn signals. I'm trying to install a resistor and I don't have a multimeter so i'm unable to know which does which.

Hello
I installed LED turn signals on the front of my CX-5 and would like to know if anyone knows which wire does what for the turn signals. I'm trying to install a resistor and I don't have a multimeter so i'm unable to know which does which.

Brown and black wire
Avi6qFk.jpg

Is there no drop in electronic flasher for these. When I did LEDs on my bike, I replaced the normal flasher relay with an electronic unit and it cured the super fast flash. I think they are way better since you don't have to mess with the factory wiring and it actually reduces the draw on the system instead of dissipating the excess energy through a resistor.

Is there no drop in electronic flasher for these. When I did LEDs on my bike, I replaced the normal flasher relay with an electronic unit and it cured the super fast flash. I think they are way better since you don't have to mess with the factory wiring and it actually reduces the draw on the system instead of dissipating the excess energy through a resistor.
Mazda uses a proprietary Body Control Module (FBCM) to control the turn signals and there's no traditional electro-mechanical flasher relay you can interchange.

You should read this excellent recent post before installing your front resistors. According to picture of this detailed write-up, the wires should be yellow (+) and black (-).

Installing switchback resistors to fix hyperflashing

On my pre 16' GT w/tech, brown and black are what's used. Yellow didn't work which is why it has tape on it. It may be different with 2016's or non techs. But I also have white/yellow alternating switchbacks and not orange only/white only.

Last edited:
On my pre 16' GT w/tech, brown and black are what's used. Yellow didn't work which is why it has tape on it. It may be different with 2016's or non techs. But I also have white/yellow alternating switchbacks and not orange only/white only.
From this 2014 CX-5 GT wiring schematic, for front turn signals it's white with red stripe and red wires on the left and white and yellow(?) on the right side:

Correct, it's controlled by the body control module.

attachment.php

And this is from 2016 CX-5 non-LED headlights:

here is the wiring diagram for the resistor on driver side, you only need to connect the resistor wires to the OEM yellow and black wires, leave the brown wire alone.
2mfbxty.jpg

here is the wiring diagram for the resistor on passenger side, you only need to connect the resistor wires to the OEM yellow and black wires, leave the brown wire alone.
xfb879.jpg

So wiring colors for front turn signals are not consistent among all CX-5 model years. We have to either measure the wires to figure them out or like Chris_Top_Her, try them out! (whistle)

The hyper flashing is a feature to warn the driver of a burned out filament type bulb. Is there any way to turn that off in the Body Control Module?

Mazda uses a proprietary Body Control Module (FBCM) to control the turn signals and there's no traditional electro-mechanical flasher relay you can interchange.

The hyper flashing is a feature to warn the driver of a burned out filament type bulb. Is there any way to turn that off in the Body Control Module?
It's proprietary so nobody but Mazda knows how to modify the firmware code. And I suspect the code is burned into a ROM for lower cost and that's why Mazda has been insisting to use incandescent bulbs on turn signals for many years even though other lights have been gradually switched to LEDs.

Update: after installing the resistors to the yellow and black wire, the hyperblinking continued. The correct hookup is the brown wire. LED's look great!

Update: after installing the resistors to the yellow and black wire, the hyperblinking continued. The correct hookup is the brown wire. LED's look great!

Thanks Graham, appreciate the update.

I try to found an headlight wiring diagram for my Mazda cx5, 2.2, diesel engine, 2015, European version. Mentioned that the headlight is full led. The issue came after I was involved in a accident and the left side headlight was destroyed. After I replaced with another headlight ( the same year and model) I was not see that the turn signal have not wire to connect. I was thinking that is something inside the headlight that make connection !! Evidently is not ,and the wire is missing. So if somebody have access to a wiring diagram for a driver side headlight to check the connection and see where is missing something will be a real help. Actually today I was visiting a Mazda garage for the year check ( oil and filters change) , and explain them the issue, but unfortunately for me they don't have electrician to check !!!

Back