CX-9 Comparison Test

Much like Car and Driver, Alex Dykes of Alex on Autos also declared the Mazda CX-9 as the 'Best large 3-row' CUV in his latest review video. He also goes through the pros and cons of competitor 3rd row CUVs against the CX-9. It's a pretty good review, IMO.

[video=youtube;SxNjdk87Ob0]2016 Mazda CX 9 Review and Road Test[/video]

I sat in a 2016 CX-9 a few weeks ago when I had my 2010 CX-9 for the lower control arms recall. I thought I would not mind the non-adjustability of the driver's seat to raise/lower the front part of the seat, but it is a deal breaker for me. I could not get over the sensation of possibly tipping over while driving, much like when one rides a roller coaster that's about to go over a peak. I'll wait until Mazda adds that driver's seat adjustability, and hopefully, by that time, Apple CarPlay and/or Android Auto are available, as well. No question, though, the CX-9 is an awesome CUV.

I didn't drive the new GMC, but we dismissed it due to the smaller size...we need a more spacious 3rd row. The Toyota felt old when we drove it. The CX-9 outclassed it by far, IMO.
We also drove an Explorer, and wanted to like it. Back to back with the CX-9, it looked and felt a generation behind (becasue it is).
Durango was a solid 2nd for us. It's more truck-like, though, with poorer visibility and some wallow in the chassis. I liked the Durango a lot.

Most of MT's points are valid, despite a few compromises, the CX-9 is a great ride. 23.3 MPG average in mixed driving isn't bad, either.

I wanted to like the Acadia but it was not as nice as the CX-9. Plus the price climbs very quickly with options. High price combined with ho-hum driving experience and a somewhat vanilla design is what steered us away from Acadia. Well, that plus there will literally be hundreds of thousands of new Acadias on the streets here soon and I like to be a little unique.

We just tested the Highlander, the MDX and the CX-9. The highlander was very disappointing. The 3rd row was terrible and the car drove like a rented u-haul. The MDX was nice and felt like it had the most oomph. The CX-9 was really nice. We test drove a Signature model for close to an hour - with 6 people in the car. Was very comfortable and felt like it had enough power. It never felt like it had power to spare - like the MDX but enough. The fit and feel was similar to the MDX. Overall, I was very impressed. Honestly, it felt like what I would want my CX-5 to be. My thinking is now to replace my CX-5 with a Cx-9 and get the wife a new min-van.

I didn't drive the new GMC, but we dismissed it due to the smaller size...we need a more spacious 3rd row.

Durango was a solid 2nd for us. It's more truck-like, though, with poorer visibility and some wallow in the chassis. I liked the Durango a lot.

I think GM blew it on the re-design. Don't get me wrong. The Lambdas needed updating. But they still sold (and sell in the case of the Traverse and Enclave) based on one major competitive advantage: Size. They were roomier than anything in the class. They offered more cargo room and a third row that was relatively comfortable and had three seatbelts. The new Acadia takes that advantage and throws it out the window. They shrunk the car and gave up one of the seats in the third row. They did this in the name of fuel efficiency and they probably also noticed that most of the competitors were smaller. Fine. But people bought the Lambdas because of the cargo/passenger capacity. Now that advantage is gone and they have to compete against the rest of the field based on drive, handling, features, price, quality, etc. Poor choice GM.

I sold my CX-9 this spring. I couldn't find an old one with the features I wanted and wasn't sure about being an early adopter given the new powertrain, etc. I shopped around and went with the Durango. I like the Durango a lot. In some ways, its better than the Mazda but it's a much less engaging drive. The old CX-9 (and the new one is supposedly even better) was the best driver in the class. The Durango actually handles fairly well but there is absolutely zero steering feel. This makes it much less satisfying to drive.

... Well, that plus there will literally be hundreds of thousands of new Acadias on the streets here soon and I like to be a little unique.

4 - 5 months with my CX9 in Mexico and so far I only see 2 x CX9 on street. We are unique, for sure!

I think GM blew it on the re-design. Don't get me wrong. The Lambdas needed updating. But they still sold (and sell in the case of the Traverse and Enclave) based on one major competitive advantage: Size. They were roomier than anything in the class. They offered more cargo room and a third row that was relatively comfortable and had three seatbelts. The new Acadia takes that advantage and throws it out the window. They shrunk the car and gave up one of the seats in the third row. They did this in the name of fuel efficiency and they probably also noticed that most of the competitors were smaller. Fine. But people bought the Lambdas because of the cargo/passenger capacity. Now that advantage is gone and they have to compete against the rest of the field based on drive, handling, features, price, quality, etc. Poor choice GM.

I sold my CX-9 this spring. I couldn't find an old one with the features I wanted and wasn't sure about being an early adopter given the new powertrain, etc. I shopped around and went with the Durango. I like the Durango a lot. In some ways, its better than the Mazda but it's a much less engaging drive. The old CX-9 (and the new one is supposedly even better) was the best driver in the class. The Durango actually handles fairly well but there is absolutely zero steering feel. This makes it much less satisfying to drive.

The Durango is very nice but is a lot, a lot more expensive (at least here in Mexico).

I enjoy every single day driving my CX9. It's just amazing.

Congratulations on your new Durango.

Back