Need maintenance suggestion 2013 cx5 sports awd

:
mazda cx5 13
I am newbie to car maintenance. I have owned 2013 cx5 since June 2012. It is at 70k now. I have done all the maintenance on time as suggested. Other than oil change and tire rotation:

rear differential was done at 41k. driveline service: not done yet ... Dealer suggested at 50k that it was due at 30k...I forgot afterwards...realized just now.

Now, Dealer said that

brake fluid is dirty and should be flushed: $90+ tax

Spark plug change...due at 70k? But they will also clean up fuel system....quoting $215 for spark plug and $150 for fuel service.

What's your thought? Should I go for it or get a second opinion? Are the quotes reasonable?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Looks like typical stealership prices. I would find a reputable local independent mechanic and see what they say. I would also like to know what is done for the $150 fuel service. $215 for spark plugs is out of this world.

Brake fluid flush may be reasonable if they actually flush it at each caliper, and not just replace the fluid in the reservoir like most places do. I will also add, that while it is good practice to change out the fluid every couple of years, I have seen cars with 10 year old fluid that are ok - but extended periods on old fluid does increase the chance of having to replace other parts in the brake system. So, its usually worth it to get it flushed to try to minimize future issues - but as I said before, you have to make sure they are truly flushing it and not just the old remove and replace out of the reservoir.

And what does a driveline service include?

Brake fluid: they said it's dirty and they would flush it.
Spark plug and fuel service: dealership said that they always clean fuel system when they replace spark plug. Not sure what are included. Will do some google on this.

Next weekend I will go to couple of independent mechanic and will update.

I have no idea about drive line service. This is the 4th dealer I am going to .... Have moved to 4 different cities in the last 4 years.

Thanks! I will get that checked too. If there is anything else that should have been done, please let me know.
that could mean front transfer case oil change and transmission oil change ? both should have been done before 70K, like @30K, they should have been changed.

spark plugs were very easy to change save yourself 200$ and do it yourself
as for brake fluid i say they are full of s***
Fuel service full of s*** also

I was thinking about changing the spark plug myself. Didn't get time to look for instructions. I will get brake fluid checked at a reliable local mechanic. What about drive line service?

Depends on exactly what the driveline service includes...fluid replacement would be wise - would rather change fluids than change transmissions, differentials, etc

Review the owners manual first. Spark plugs are due at 75,000 miles acording to the book. Brake fluid is normally not changed until the brakes pads are replaced but, $90 seems about 2X excessive. Forget the fuel system service. Ed

Depends on exactly what the driveline service includes...fluid replacement would be wise - would rather change fluids than change transmissions, differentials, etc
I will check the owners manual for details about the drive line. Rear differential was done at about 40k.

Review the owners manual first. Spark plugs are due at 75,000 miles acording to the book. Brake fluid is normally not changed until the brakes pads are replaced but, $90 seems about 2X excessive. Forget the fuel system service. Ed

Brake pads and rotors - front and rear- were changed at about 50000 miles as they both went bad prematurely. I don't think brake fluid was changed then. Dealer specifically mentioned that brake fluid is dirty and needs to be flushed. If I remember correctly they said it will be flushed at each caliper.

I am newbie to car maintenance. I have owned 2013 cx5 since June 2012. It is at 70k now. I have done all the maintenance on time as suggested. Other than oil change and tire rotation:
rear differential was done at 41k. driveline service: not done yet ... Dealer suggested at 50k that it was due at 30k...I forgot afterwards...realized just now.
Now, Dealer said that
brake fluid is dirty and should be flushed: $90+ tax
Spark plug change...due at 70k? But they will also clean up fuel system....quoting $215 for spark plug and $150 for fuel service.
What's your thought? Should I go for it or get a second opinion? Are the quotes reasonable?
If I were in your situation, I'd do automatic transmission fluid drain-and-fill ASAP even though it isn't on Mazda's maintenance schedule. I'd definitely specify Mazda Genuine ATF FZ to prevent any compatibility issues in the future as you can only drain about a half of the used ATF out and you're going to mix the fresh ATF with plenty of old fluid. Many DIY'ers do drain-and-fill 2~3 time within weeks.

If you usually use others doing the maintenance and don't know too much about it, I'd suggest you to go to a reputable Mazda dealer and let them do the maintenance. The key is you only let them do the maintenance by the book, based on maintenance schedule in owner's manual. At least the dealer uses quality OEM parts and fluids, and they know the car; and you pay more expensive labor rate but sometimes it's worth it.

Mazda OEM PE5R-18-110 spark plugs for SkyActiv-G engines cost $31.79 EACH list. And I wouldn't say the OP can save $200 even if he'd change the spark plugs by himself!

At 4+ years and 70K miles, brake fluid flush is a legit maintenance too! Many Euro car manufactures suggest 2-year maintenance interval despite the mileage. Just to make sure they flush brake fluid through all 4 calipers and slave cylinder for clutch if it's a manual.

Mazda OEM PE5R-18-110 spark plugs for SkyActiv-G engines cost $31.79 EACH list. And I wouldn't say the OP can save $200 even if he'd change the spark plugs by himself!

At 4+ years and 70K miles, brake fluid flush is a legit maintenance too! Many Euro car manufactures suggest 2-year maintenance interval despite the mileage. Just to make sure they flush brake fluid through all 4 calipers and slave cylinder for clutch if it's a manual.
Sounds about right price if they are using the original plugs... Yes Brake fluid flush @2yrs is optimum 4 yrs is overdue, as fluid is cheap, and there are lots of expensive brake parts in the system that get damaged by watery brake fluid.

i used from amazon at $6.21 each spark plug Denso (4711) IXEH20TT Iridium TT
Mazda dealers are going to use Mazda brand PE5R-18-110 spark plugs which is special-made for SkyActiv-G high-compress engines. Mazda dealers are not going to use $6.21 Denso plugs. Even if they do, the OP is still not going to save $200 like you claimed. :)

Our owner's manual specifically stated "*This spark plug provides the SKYACTIV-G engine with optimum performance." for specified Mazda Genuine PE5R-18-110 or PE5S-18-110 spark plugs. I wouldn't use much cheaper generic Denso plugs for my CX-5!

Mazda dealers are going to use Mazda brand PE5R-18-110 spark plugs which is special-made for SkyActiv-G high-compress engines. Mazda dealers are not going to use $6.21 Denso plugs. Even if they do, the OP is still not going to save $200 like you claimed. :)

Our owner's manual specifically stated "*This spark plug provides the SKYACTIV-G engine with optimum performance." for specified Mazda Genuine PE5R-18-110 or PE5S-18-110 spark plugs. I wouldn't use much cheaper generic Denso plugs for my CX-5!
Not always, there are plenty of stories of dealers using aftermarket parts. This all needs to be specified at the time of service.

If I remember correctly, the SKYACTIV system uses the spark plug and coil to sense pre-ignition in each cylinder. One of the reasons for the higher spec advanced plugs.

Didn't the forum do research on skyactiv spark plugs? Mazda doesn't make the plugs I think they contract out to one or two makers such as NGK and Denso. We dug up the stock plugs and they were identical in specs and alike in photos with some aftermarket plugs. I could've sworn a couple years ago I compared the skyactiv plug specs and they were identical to other makes/models like some infinitiy's and mercedes vehicles meaning the spark plug makers determine the specs and the auto manufacturers develop engines to accept certain plugs already developed.

SkyActiv-G Spark Plugs

Didn't the forum do research on skyactiv spark plugs? Mazda doesn't make the plugs I think they contract out to one or two makers such as NGK and Denso. We dug up the stock plugs and they were identical in specs and alike in photos with some aftermarket plugs. I could've sworn a couple years ago I compared the skyactiv plug specs and they were identical to other makes/models like some infinitiy's and mercedes vehicles meaning the spark plug makers determine the specs and the auto manufacturers develop engines to accept certain plugs already developed.
Where did you get spec for Mazda PE5R-18-110 spark plug? It's not like OEM spark plug I used for my VW which stamped a VW mark but also NGK mark, and NGK's model number. Mazda PE5R-18-110 plug has its own model number, and very well like mazdadude said, as SkyActiv-G uses the spark plug and coil to sense pre-ignition in each cylinder. Since SkyActiv-G engine is unique, very likely Mazda gave the specs and NGK or Denso custom-made it for them. It's very hard for me to believe a $6.21 spark plug is identical to a plug costs $31.79! Looks the same doesn't mean they're identical or even compatible! There's no free lunch, which is so true! :)

Back