2016 cx-9 lost keyfob

:
White 2016 Mazda CX-9 GT
Anyone know the best (cheapest) way to replace a lost key for this car?
I was convinced I had lost it in the car somewhere but I think you can't lock it, even with the secondary key, if there's a key inside?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was convinced I had lost it in the car somewhere but I think you can't lock it, even with the secondary key, if there's a key inside?

It shouldn't lock if the lost key is in the car, unless the lost key has a dead battery then theoretically, you would be able to lock the doors with your spare key.

So what is your situation now? can you lock or not lock the doors? If you can't, that's actually good news, it means your main keys are somewhere in the car. If you can lock, that can mean two things, main key is not in the car or main key battery is dead.

Last edited:
It shouldn't lock if the lost key is in the car, unless the lost key has a dead battery then theoretically, you would be able to lock the doors with your spare key.

So what is your situation now? can you lock or not lock the doors? If you can't, that's actually good news, it means your main keys are somewhere in the car. If you can lock, that can mean two things, main key is not in the car or main key battery is dead.

I'm using the second key. It does lock with the second key so I'm assuming the second one is no longer in the car.
Anyone know how much for a new one? I suppose I just need to call the dealer.

I'm using the second key. It does lock with the second key so I'm assuming the second one is no longer in the car.
Anyone know how much for a new one? I suppose I just need to call the dealer.

Ouch! Sorry to Hear!

Key cutting, plus the fob, plus programming by the tech? ~$250

Hope you can find the lost one...

Last edited:
Key FOB available on Amazon.

I'm not sure which FOB you need, but here is an example of a FOB from Amazon for US$55.96. Make sure it is exactly the right key for your vehicle before you buy it. Also, I suggest you read the buyers questions and comments. You will need to take it to a dealer or Mazda approved locksmith to program it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Last edited:

I can't say about the '16 CX-9, but my other cars allow you to lock the car, with one fob in the cabin, if you are locking with the other fob, and not with the request button on the door handle. If you can start up the car without the 2nd fob in the cabin, then the first fob is in there somewhere (but the reverse may not be true--if the fob is in the way back, you may not be able to start the car).

Check a local locksmith. The guy here says he can supply and program one at about half the cost of the stealership.

I bought a nearly new Mazda OEM key fob (even came with an uncut emergency key!) as an additional spare for my 2016 CX-9 Signature (so now I have 3 fobs total). Is it true that ONLY the dealer or a locksmith (with the correct equipment) can program it? I've searched the internet, but it seems like do-it-yourself instructions stop around model year 2013 for Mazdas. Thanks for your help!

Back