Bluetooth driving me nuts

buddyboy

:
2014 CX-9
Hi. I own a 2014 CX-9 and following is my use case. I connect to my iPhone 6's bluetooth audio and play music.
At the same time I open Maps and it uses bluetooth audio for voice directions. Now when I pause my Music,
my Maps voice gets paused as well (I am sure its not my phone misbehaving as I don't see this issue on my 15 year old
bluetooth unit in my other car). When I play my music the Maps voice also comes through.

I tried power cycling the audio in the car but the music starts playing as soon as it powers back up and I set "bluetooth" tab in focus.

So, basically, I need to play music if I want other apps to stream audio.

Now, sometimes I see that the bluetooth display in the car shows "No name, No album" and in that case music doesn't play.
But I am unable to figure out how I get back to this state if I'm already playing music.

Any help will be deeply appreciated.

Ok. So I have a couple of workarounds, in case anyone is interested. Enable the HFP (hands free profile) mode on both Apple and Google Maps, so that even if the bluetooth audio is paused the directions will play over the bluetooth phone channel. Only annoying thing is, every time the phone channel connects and disconnects for playing the directions, it emits a beep and music starts playing if you have the bluetooth tab in focus. Good thing is, the HFP mode will work even if the audio system is powered off (bless the soul who provided a way to power the system off in the pre-2015 model.

Another workaround is to play a silent track in a loop in lieu of pausing the music.

Back