Annoying "pinging" noise while accelerating... YES IVE SEARCHED!!!

dorkidori_s13

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
So, Ive spent hours searching for an answer to this question both on and off the forums and I havent been able to find any sort of conclusion to the problem.

I have a 2002 Protege5 with 200k+ miles on it... now before I go into any further details, this is what Ive done since I purchased the car over the summer:

• Replaced timing belt assembly + water pump (brand new)
• Changed oil (running 10w40 now due to heat in Vegas)
• Replaced fuel sending unit (brand new)
• Replaced fuel pump (brand new)
• Replaced fuel pressure regulator (brand new)
• Replaced spark plugs (brand new OE longer design)
• Replaced coil wires + packs (brand new)
• Cleaned MAFS
• Cleaned Ambient Air Intake Temp Sensor
• No ECU codes being thrown (checked with OBD2 sensor)
• Car is run on nothing but 91 octane
• Replace K&N air filter element on AEM intake with brand new K&N (old one was TRASHED, previous owner didnt care for the car at all)
• Reset ECU post installation of new parts for ECU to relearn

NOTHING Ive done has helped alleviate the issue. Basically after driving the car for 15-20 minutes and letting the engine reach normal operating temperatures for an extended amount of time, through the entire RPM band above 2500 I get what sounds like pinging (pre-detonation) coming from the engine bay!!! Pinging occurs at almost any amount of throttle pressure given to the pedal. Though sometimes AT RANDOM, Ill jump on the throttle and the pinging will stop but as soon as I shift (ie: 2nd to 3rd), it comes back.

Outside of replacing the MAF itself, installing new injectors, replacing ambient air temp sensor, replacing fuel pulsation damper and possibly installing a new knock sensor... im really out of ideas for how to fix the problem! Ive read all over that pinging occurs in damn near everyones motor, but this doesnt sound right at all! Pre-detonation is bad mmmkay and I highly doubt Mazda engineered this motor to ping scars into the cylinder walls and toast pistons!!! Ive been thinking about removing the VICS (whatever the butterfly valves are called) from the intake manifold as Im thinking Im hearing the butterflys fluttering via my intake pipe (since its metal and doesnt dampen intake manifold noise like the rubber OE unit does). My IS300 had a butterfly valve in the intake mani that would flutter open around 3500rpms on the dot and make a sound like pinging, but it was literally only for an instant and then never heard again thru the power band.

So yeah, anyone wanna try and help me out with this as Im really frustrated and seriously feel like Im just throwing parts at the car until I figure out what fixes the problem instead of diagnosing it properly based on experience from other folks who have actually SOLVED this issue!

Last edited:
oh, one other thing to note... if im sitting at idle, at random times the cars idle will dip/stumble and then come back up (its only a few seconds). foot isnt on the gas (its resting completely on the brake) and the car is usually out of gear.

oh, one other thing to note... if im sitting at idle, at random times the cars idle will dip/stumble and then come back up (its only a few seconds). foot isnt on the gas (its resting completely on the brake) and the car is usually out of gear.

Mine has been doing that some as of late (@137K miles). I'm going to try and clean the IAC valve this weekend to see if that helps.

well has anyone ever experienced the VICS making a fluttering noise that reverberates through an aftermarket intake pipe while accelerating? i know the butterfly valves in the VICS create turbulence in the air for better mixture with the fuel (and also to aid in lower end torque IIRC)

Maybe if the servo was leaking and not allowing them to open all the way, or there is one loose in there that's banging around. There was a recall on the screws.

I thought I read something once on here about how the longer spark plugs could cause something similar to this..? I could be completely wrong...

Maybe if the servo was leaking and not allowing them to open all the way, or there is one loose in there that's banging around. There was a recall on the screws.

this was on a certain range of 2003 models only

I thought I read something once on here about how the longer spark plugs could cause something similar to this..? I could be completely wrong...

my motor was doing this prior to the longer OE plugs

As soon as my car starts to get the slightest stumble, I give it a Seafoam treatment.
Half a can in the gas, half a can up the the brake booster vacuum line.

(takes five minutes and makes a neat smoke show !!!)

ive owned 4 of these cars and this last one (protege5) i bought has this annoying pinging issue that you described and also burns a little bit of oil. i never thought about replacing the knock sensor. maybe i'll try that soon.

I believe the can says 1/3 through a vacuum line, 1/3 in the tank, and 1/3 in the crankcase.

Try to add your Seafoam to the gas when you are at 1/4 tank or less... It helps to run it through richer.

I put a shot in the gas with every fill up... My car idles as smooth as glass...

Last edited:
I thought it could be the fuel injectors, because 2 of mine are running lean according to the spark plugs. I replaced those with re manufactured ones, but now the fuel pump seems be an issue. Once I get things running right I will let you know.

Injectors and a new knock sensor are next on my list! There arent many more things associated with air/fuel in the motor that can be causing this issue! :(

Back