looking for donor Tranny for MP3, needs 4th, (prim, Sec) and both 5th

gs01rct

:
Mazda, Blue MP3
Hello all,

Just purchased a hard driven MP3 with locked-up tranny as a "first car" for my son. Dropped the tranny, (thanks for write-up on How-to), popped it open and holy-crap, lots of gear pieces ...
Long story short, it needs, 4th Primary and Secondary, 5th and 5th Alternate. Looking all over for donor trannies. Finding 626 and Probe trannies are most affordable, but they are mostly 90's versions. Found the MP3 tranny was a G15M-R, the early Probes were M5R2C, and the 626 were G25M-R(??).

BIG QUESTION IS:

Can I used ANY 626 or Probe as a donor AND can I just swap complete Primary and Secondary, as is, along with the 5th gears and come out with a safe, reliable car for my (soon-to-be) 16 year old?

Thanks, in advance for assistance.

I don't know about which years you can use for donors. But since you are already replacing 5th gear, you may want to switch to the one that lowers the rpm at highway speeds. If you search you will find the info on this, but the 5th gears on these are no really tall, and you are around 3500rmp at like 80mph. Its pretty annoying on long drives. And the other gears don't help a ton, but since you apart anyway...

Also, I see you are pretty new. You may want to look at the protege and protege 5 sections for more info. They are basically the same cars with a few differences and those forums are way more active and full of info. MP3 forum has been pretty dead for a few years.

Back