Dreaded Navigation Error Message

:
Mazda 6s GT
The navigation system in my 6 says:

a program cannot be read. consult to a dealer.

I've searched high and low for cause or answers and the interwebs is not being very informative. I find plenty of reports but no true resolution.

I just bought my '09 6s and the previous owner said he disconnected battery for two weeks. When he reconnected battery, navigation no longer worked and only showed the message above.

If anyone is knowledgeable or had this happen, what was the issue in your particular situation?

Mine is the DVD disc type navigation. Now, the navigation DVD that's in the car is not the original Mazda navigation disc, it's an update disc. Knowing that the battery was disconnected for an extended period of time, is it possible the operating system was erased, let's say from RAM, for instance? Is it also possible that the original Mazda disc contains operating system files?

I've scheduled an appt with dealer and they will be charging me $140 to diagnose. That's steep, when that's half the cost of a JVC or Kenwood head unit. Navigation isn't my priority, but it would be nice to keep stock head unit that is integrated into all controls (steering, etc.).

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Alls I hear around here are chirp chirps.

Anywho. I resolved my issue in case anyone around has the same problem.

Here's more detail. The navi had an update disc installed when I bought the car and not the original Mazda navi dvd disc. The battery had been disconnected for two weeks, which I figured something got lost, like memory erased.

After finding one post online indicating success with a different disc, I bit the bullet and ordered an original disc from eBay.

Received the discs today. I slid the first Mazda disc in and voila! the disc loaded up the prgramming and navi loaded up again for full functionality.

Dang it feels good to fix something!

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

You are probably correct. Glad it sorted out.

Sent from a Samsung that doesn't explode.

I read that. Scratching guy head on that one.

Wait... Bump the crew thread.

Sent from a Samsung that doesn't explode.

Back