I've Been Throwing P2188 for months... with no happy ending.

AlexPotichnyj

:
2006 Mazda 3 S 2.3L
Started out at the start of the summer on a nice pleasant drive down to Pt. Colbourne. originally it was caused by stretched MAF sensor wires. when the code was cleared i had extremely erratic RPMs which actually got so bad i had to ride the clutch to my mechanics shop so that it wouldn't shake and rip more wires / components lose in the process. upon arrival the wires were inspected and replaced. i also took the liberty of purchasing a new MAF sensor at this time which was also installed. the car ran fine for roughly 5000km. at which point. coincidentally again on my way to Pt. Colbourne i threw the same code. this is where i started to poke around online. i have replaced every damn thing associated with this code save for an O2 sensor. theres a new purge valve. EGR is okay. all my numbers are good on the computer. and the code seems to drift off and come back without any warning. i believe this may have something to do with the Weapon R SRI i purchased (yeah i already know i'm gonna get roasted for it (f***ing puddle sucker)). not being packaged with instructions made the install a bit of a "wing it f*** it" situation. this is what originally led to the stretching of my MAF harness (improperly secured). but has since then been fixed with appropriate means to the air box mount. however, the car ran fine for almost 20,000km with the intake installed prior to the original throw of P2188. the vacuum line for the PCV systems look a little cracked/old but the lack of combustible materials reentering the intake would trigger a lean condition in the motor..? unless the ECU compensated for a PCV dump by increasing the fuel in the mixture. so where i'm standing right now i have 3 options.

Option A: investigate the MAF sensor wiring again - forums and second opinions from mechanics indicate that GND wiring is a massively common issue with this engine code sometimes warranting additional visits to the shop.

Option B: test and replace possibly faulty O2 sensors

Option C: purchase new PCV hose.

what do you guys think i should do?

Back