Rear Brake Pad Wear and Electronic Parking Brake Service Bulletin

blue08mz3hb

:
16 CX5 GT w/ Tech
So I dropped my 2016 CX5 GT off yesterday at the dealer for an oil change and tire rotation. They called me later in the day to let me know that there is an issue with my brake pads. I only have 20,000 miles on it so this came as a shock. She said that inner rear brake pads were down to 3/32 and the outers were at 9/32. Seems weird that there would be that big of a discrepancy that early on in the car and brakes life. So they checked to see if there was a service bulletin out and in fact there is. Mazda would only replace the brakes under warranty if the owner complained of a vibration or noise while braking. Well since they found it while doing the full-circle inspection and it wasn't safe to give back to me, Mazda agreed to replace them under warranty. They also said about replacing the parking brake controller/modular. Well since they have to order the parts from Mazda, I'm without my car for a few days. Not really complaining since the loaner they gave me is a '16 MX-5 GT Convertible.

Has anyone else had this issue? I didn't even know about it until they told me. Thinking back, I don't remember feeling a vibration or I just didn't notice it.

So I dropped my 2016 CX5 GT off yesterday at the dealer for an oil change and tire rotation. They called me later in the day to let me know that there is an issue with my brake pads. I only have 20,000 miles on it so this came as a shock. She said that inner rear brake pads were down to 3/32 and the outers were at 9/32. Seems weird that there would be that big of a discrepancy that early on in the car and brakes life. So they checked to see if there was a service bulletin out and in fact there is. Mazda would only replace the brakes under warranty if the owner complained of a vibration or noise while braking. Well since they found it while doing the full-circle inspection and it wasn't safe to give back to me, Mazda agreed to replace them under warranty. They also said about replacing the parking brake controller/modular. Well since they have to order the parts from Mazda, I'm without my car for a few days. Not really complaining since the loaner they gave me is a '16 MX-5 GT Convertible.

Has anyone else had this issue? I didn't even know about it until they told me. Thinking back, I don't remember feeling a vibration or I just didn't notice it.

Wow... Thanks for the heads up, man. I have felt the rear brakes vibrate (this is before ABS engages) when heavy braking from high speeds. I did visually inspect the pads and they seemed ok...I will still ask the dealer to check the entire system out on my next visit, per the bulletin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unacceptable wear. Also, sounds like they took care of you! Good for them, everyone can have an issue from time to time. FWIW, I am at 52K on OEM brake pads and they have plenty of life left.

Wow... Thanks for the heads up, man. I have felt the rear brakes vibrate (this is before ABS engages) when heavy braking from high speeds. I did visually inspect the pads and they seemed ok...I will still ask the dealer to check the entire system out on my next visit, per the bulletin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brake vibration is usually due to warped rotors. Warped rotors are usually due to over-torquing or un-evenly torquing the lug nuts with a pneumatic wrench and no torque bars.

So I dropped my 2016 CX5 GT off yesterday at the dealer for an oil change and tire rotation. They called me later in the day to let me know that there is an issue with my brake pads. I only have 20,000 miles on it so this came as a shock. She said that inner rear brake pads were down to 3/32 and the outers were at 9/32. Seems weird that there would be that big of a discrepancy that early on in the car and brakes life.
They also said about replacing the parking brake controller/modular. Well since they have to order the parts from Mazda, I'm without my car for a few days. Not really complaining since the loaner they gave me is a '16 MX-5 GT Convertible.
Your rear brake pad issue is very typical symptom due to lack of lubrication on caliper pins. And many CX-5 owners have found out that this's a very common problem from every CX-5 as for some reason Mazda has been refusing to make these caliper pins well lubricated since 2013!

As for Electric Parking Brake, we've seen one TSB but only for the area with very cold weather. I'd tried to get the EPB controller / module replaced based on that TSB to no avail.

Seeing that most of the complaints seem to be on 2016-up with the ELECTRIC PARKING brake:

My theory is that in colder temps the long actuator cable that runs from the electric parking brake motor to the caliper contracts and gets too short. Thus, not allowing the pads to retract enough from the rotor face, causing the constant squealing complaints, and the accelerated pad wear complaints.

Oh...and the caliper pins either need a different design or more grease...(chair)

Last edited:
Do you have the TSB number. Today mine made a brake pad wear noise with 5k miles. As soon as I let the brakes go and coasted at 5 mph it would still make that noise. This is a 2016 manual sport in CA

Do you have the TSB number. Today mine made a brake pad wear noise with 5k miles. As soon as I let the brakes go and coasted at 5 mph it would still make that noise. This is a 2016 manual sport in CA
I believe your issue is more likely caused by the lack of lubrication on the caliper pins. Some members here had found out there's minimum grease on them even though their CX-5's are almost brand new!

I was trying to replace my EPB control module with a newly revised one according to this TSB. But my dealer said "no code, no replacement"! And the link to full details of the TSB is also broken now.

Craigo: That is a good TSB site.

http://oemdtc.com/?s=cx-5

Here is one for '16s with Electric Parking Brake & cold weather

http://oemdtc.com/18619/electric-pa...l-not-release-in-cold-weather-2016-mazda-cx-5
H
2016 CX-5 ELECTRIC PARKING BRAKE (EPB) WARNING LIGHT ON / EPB WILL NOT RELEASE IN COLD WEATHER

APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS

2016 CX-5 vehicles with VINs lower than JM3KE676325 (produced before June 9, 2015)

DESCRIPTION

In cold weather conditions of approx. -4 to 14 degrees F (-20 to -10 degrees C), some vehicles may exhibit the Electric Parking Brake (EPB) warning light on with one or more of the following DTCs present.

Yes, I have this issue. CX5 Akera diesel with 5000kms on clock.

It sounded/felt like to me like a warped disc (ie excessive run out) on the rear,and for some reason it seemed worse after I had used the park brake. The weird thing was that the noise wasn't consistent - happened worse at some times than others. Sometime you could hardly notice it at all. And most noticeable under a gentle trailing brake.

So I took my car to the nearest dealer who sent a tech for a test drive with me, and he concluded it was front discs. So they replaced the front discs under warranty. Problem not solved. But at least we ruled the front discs out, at Mazda's expense!

So I took it back again, this time they checked and found the service bulletin that revealed a problem with the electronic park brake control module. I had a quick glance at the bulletin and the symptoms seem exactly as I reported themI'm now waiting for the part to arrive, apparently there is a shortage due to this issue. It is going to be a few weeks.

By the way, this issue has nothing at all to do with weather - its summer here in Brisbane, Australia and temps are in the 25-33 C range.

Last edited:
Yes, I have this issue. CX5 Akera diesel with 5000kms on clock.

It sounded/felt like to me like a warped disc (ie excessive run out) on the rear,and for some reason it seemed worse after I had used the park brake. The weird thing was that the noise wasn't consistent - happened worse at some times than others. Sometime you could hardly notice it at all. And most noticeable under a gentle trailing brake.

So I took my car to the nearest dealer who sent a tech for a test drive with me, and he concluded it was front discs. So they replaced the front discs under warranty. Problem not solved. But at least we ruled the front discs out, at Mazda's expense!

So I took it back again, this time they checked and found the service bulletin that revealed a problem with the electronic park brake control module. I had a quick glance at the bulletin and the symptoms seem exactly as I reported themI'm now waiting for the part to arrive, apparently there is a shortage due to this issue. It is going to be a few weeks.

By the way, this issue has nothing at all to do with weather - its summer here in Brisbane, Australia and temps are in the 25-33 C range.

No, its got nothing to do with the guide pins either.

I have complained three times about brake noise at two different dealers, both have said on all three occasions that theres no fault. I've put it down to cheap pads and just put up with it.

My first cx-5 made little to no noise, this one can actually be embarrassing especially while light braking at lights etc.

I had a service last Tuesday and did ask the driver who collected the car to report the brakes if he heard the noise, it was wet and rainy so wasn't surprised that no fault was found.

At 6490 miles front pads are at 7mm, rear 5mm. I have no idea what they are new?

Does anyone think my issue is the EPB? I never use the auto release I just use it like the old lever type. But out of habit use it every time I park, apart from when the brakes are wet.

Last edited:
There is a TSB for it XTM. It may also have worn the pads unevenly if the particular fault exists. If you are saying the Mazda pads are cheap, you are wrong. They will have been thoroughly tested and approved. Have a read;

Last edited:
Brake vibration is usually due to warped rotors. Warped rotors are usually due to over-torquing or un-evenly torquing the lug nuts with a pneumatic wrench and no torque bars.

I'm not looking forward to this at all, and I've complain to Mazda about it once already. I bought my 16.5 CX5 sport in Feb. 2016, and my driver side front rotor warped at 600 miles and 5 weeks later. The dealer tried to just re machine mine, and I had to call Mazda North America to have a new rotor ordered. Vehicle has 5204 miles on it now, and it was serviced in August and pad readings were ok. I 'll be shock if mine doesn't have to be replaced around 30k miles at the latest.

There is a TSB for it XTM. It may also have worn the pads unevenly if the particular fault exists. If you are saying the Mazda pads are cheap, you are wrong. They will have been thoroughly tested and approved. Have a read;
Interesting how they say to only replace the worn out pad(s) or rotor(s). Traditional practice was to replace an entire axle for even braking/wear. I have 30k on a new set of rear pads/rotors on my '14. The drivers side is worn more than the passenger which looks like new yet. Probably due to the fact that the drivers side is warped a little. You could here it when you turn the rear wheel. Yes, the lug nuts are always tightened with a torque wrench (87 ft/lb). The original brake pads were worn evenly and had about 4/32 left at 32k miles.

For comparison, last weekend I have replaced my wife's 09' CRV rear brake pads, at 98k and it still had pad material, for probably another 10-20k!!
20k, is not acceptable.

Interesting how they say to only replace the worn out pad(s) or rotor(s). Traditional practice was to replace an entire axle for even braking/wear. I have 30k on a new set of rear pads/rotors on my '14. The drivers side is worn more than the passenger which looks like new yet. Probably due to the fact that the drivers side is warped a little. You could here it when you turn the rear wheel. Yes, the lug nuts are always tightened with a torque wrench (87 ft/lb). The original brake pads were worn evenly and had about 4/32 left at 32k miles.

I read that as saying if the pads are worn, replace both sides and the same goes for discs. The part numbers are for an axle set of pads and either none or two discs.

For comparison, last weekend I have replaced my wife's 09' CRV rear brake pads, at 98k and it still had pad material, for probably another 10-20k!!
20k, is not acceptable.

Friction material wear is related to temperature so pads that wear out in 20k have been hot. In the cases above, the inner pad is staying in contact with the disc and the pad wear is inevitable.

I'll print out the TSB thanks. But the noise appears to be from the front, and its only when coming to a stop or not applying full pressure with the foot on the brake and creeping forward.

Mr google does suggest cheap brake pads could be the issue.
I'll see if I can estimate the rear pad wear for being even both sides, but suspect I might not be able to see them both?

the noise appears to be from the front, and its only when coming to a stop or not applying full pressure with the foot on the brake and creeping forward.

Might have been helpful to mention that in a thread about rear brake noise ;-)

Again, if you are talking about genuine Mazda pads, they are not cheap and cheerful. The fronts get absolutely caked up with wear debris - the stuff that makes the wheels black. I pressure wash mine through the front wheels every week which helps (attached photo was at 6500 miles when the winter tyres were going on). You might need to pull the pads out and clean the abutments and you can grease them but do not use copper based grease, use Ceratec or something similar.

IMG_2644_zpsvzk3njur.jpg

Back