Newbie Purchase Questions: window tint and mudflaps

hankdfw

:
2016.5 Mazda CX-5
Seriously considering buying a 2016.5 CX-5 Grand Touring. I don't see the option to purchase mud flaps on the mazdausa website, or to get the windows tinted.

Questions:
- Do the windows come tinted as standard, especially the front?
- Are mud flaps necessary for driving in the rain and preventing road debris and dirt from being flung onto the paintwork? Are these available after market for this car?

The windows are tinted, standard on the Touring and Grand Touring models.

The mud flaps you will have added on at the dealer, and they install for you at the time of purchase, or you will sign a "DUE BILL" at the time of your contract, that will show that the dealers is promising to order and install the mud flaps at a later date when they arrive. Or you can just order later yourself from the parts department and install yourself.

I have never added them or felt like I need them, and they cause further drag and MPG loss.

(headbang)

Last edited:
I had always had the dealer install mudflaps on all of my other cars at time of purchase, but I didn't on my 2016 GT. I don't miss them and instead spent the money on all-season mats.

The windows are tinted, standard on the Touring and Grand Touring models.

The mud flaps you will have added on at the dealer, and they install for you at the time of purchase, or you will sign a "DUE BILL" at the time of your contract, that will show that the dealers is promising to order and install the mud flaps at a later date when they arrive. Or you can just order later yourself from the parts department and install yourself.

I have never added them or felt like I need them, and they cause further drag and MPG loss.

(headbang)

Is the Tint standard as in does it leave factory with the tint? I think I saw CX-5s without them. But the tint could be regional or offered only in certain US geographies.
The dealer I bought for had a window sticker with a $495 tag on it - If the tint comes from Mazda factory then this would be unethical.

To the OP:
I would say mudflaps are available if you want to buy aftermarket. Do you do most of your driving in rain - I would say then it is a must. If not just forget it.
For Texas all i cared for were Cargo Tray and tints. Floor mats are nice too but are sort of over protection for certain drivers.
I never had any in my cars but now i notice my older car - the factory floor mats have a hole since wifey drives wearing a high heel lolzy.

Last edited:
Is the Tint standard as in does it leave factory with the tint? I think I saw CX-5s without them. But the tint could be regional or offered only in certain US geographies.
The dealer I bought for had a window sticker with a $495 tag on it - If the tint comes from Mazda factory then this would be unethical.

To the OP:
I would say mudflaps are available if you want to buy aftermarket. Do you do most of your driving in rain - I would say then it is a must. If not just forget it.
For Texas all i cared for were Cargo Tray and tints. Floor mats are nice too but are sort of over protection for certain drivers.
I never had any in my cars but now i notice my older car - the factory floor mats have a hole since wifey drives wearing a high heel lolzy.

On the Touring and GT, the actual GLASS is tinted, Mazda calls it "PRIVACY GLASS" there is not a film applied to the windows.

If the dealer added film, then that would be a film applied to the interior. Not to mention you would be able to see the film if you rolled the window down a bit and looked at the edge of the glass.

To get more clear - the Privacy glass darkens the windows but does not provide UV protection as per reddit forums. I cannot confirm or deny this - but the fact that my dealer went to lengths to do the Tint on windows and charges customers (not me!!! but others) for it and includes it in the new car purchase leans me to believe that there is no UV protection.

The fronts are not tinted from the factory on any level trim. The Touring and GT come with privacy glass for the 2nd row, rear and rear pillar windows. The Sport doesn't come with any tinting.

To get more clear - the Privacy glass darkens the windows but does not provide UV protection as per reddit forums. I cannot confirm or deny this - but the fact that my dealer went to lengths to do the Tint on windows and charges customers (not me!!! but others) for it and includes it in the new car purchase leans me to believe that there is no UV protection.

More like the dealer added more tint so he could charge more. Dealer doesn't care about UV protection! FWIW, the glass has UV protection, virtually all cars made now do. Glass itself blocks most of the UV. Front side windows will have UV stamp if they've built in additional protection. Privacy tinted windows should block most of it - can't imagine the physics behind how it wouldn't.

Seriously considering buying a 2016.5 CX-5 Grand Touring. I don't see the option to purchase mud flaps on the mazdausa website, or to get the windows tinted.
Questions:
- Do the windows come tinted as standard, especially the front?
- Are mud flaps necessary for driving in the rain and preventing road debris and dirt from being flung onto the paintwork? Are these available after market for this car?
- As others had said, CX-5's Touring and GT come with "privacy glass" where the glass itself is heavily darkened only on rear door windows and rear window. Normally people, especially in Texas, would tint all windows with films of different grade of darkness so that the front door window can be as dark as rear door and rear windows for more consistent look. People also put a lighter film on windshield for UV and some heat protection.
- Our own CX-5 has Mazda OEM splash guards installed by myself after we've had it for a couple of months. I know the before and after comparison after went through several spring rains and I can tell they're very effective to keep the dirt away from lower body and the entire rear end area. Highly recommend them! You can install the splash guards by yourself, or negotiate the OEM splash guards into the purchasing price which are dealer-installed accessory, or select OEM splash guards as a port-installed option which will be listed on the window sticker if you special-ordered your CX-5. Of course there're aftermarket CX-5 splash guards available with different shape and may be material.

More like the dealer added more tint so he could charge more. Dealer doesn't care about UV protection! FWIW, the glass has UV protection, virtually all cars made now do. Glass itself blocks most of the UV. Front side windows will have UV stamp if they've built in additional protection. Privacy tinted windows should block most of it - can't imagine the physics behind how it wouldn't.
Yes I do believe all glasses on CX-5 would come with some UV protection due to the nature of the glass itself. And two front door windows, although they're not as dark as rear door and rear windows from factory, do stamped "UV" indicating UV protection.

May states do not allow window tint on the front windows at all, some are no darker then 50% or at most 35%. Maybe some southern states with much more sun has different laws but the northern states are pretty much all like that. To get the front windows to match the rears in darkness a 20% tint film is needed. I would find a reputable tint shop to do the front windows, I wouldn't trust the dealer. Should be around $100 to do both front windows.

Mazda makes a set of OEM mudflaps that can be ordered and installed by the dealership or your self. The backs are decent the fronts are a bit small. I got some ebay mud flaps and installed them for a fraction of what mazda wants, but they don't have the greatest fit and finish to them. You should be able to find them on mazdas website under exterior accessories.

I got rear mudflaps on AliExpress and I got the genuine Mazda front flaps. I think the Mazda rear flaps are too big.

I got rear mudflaps on AliExpress and I got the genuine Mazda front flaps. I think the Mazda rear flaps are too big.
I have to agree with you on this. Someone else once said OEM rear splash guards are like dumbo ears! :) But the bigger the better as far as functionality wise!

May states do not allow window tint on the front windows at all, some are no darker then 50% or at most 35%. Maybe some southern states with much more sun has different laws but the northern states are pretty much all like that. To get the front windows to match the rears in darkness a 20% tint film is needed. I would find a reputable tint shop to do the front windows, I wouldn't trust the dealer. Should be around $100 to do both front windows.

Mazda makes a set of OEM mudflaps that can be ordered and installed by the dealership or your self. The backs are decent the fronts are a bit small. I got some ebay mud flaps and installed them for a fraction of what mazda wants, but they don't have the greatest fit and finish to them. You should be able to find them on mazdas website under exterior accessories.
I don't tent my windows. They are plenty dark for me. As for the mud flaps, I bought the OEM mud flaps and installed them myself. They are easy to install if you can use a screwdriver

Sent from my Verizon Note 4 using TapTalk

Agreed. With the factory fronts, we still get stuff thrown all over the lower door panels. I'd be happy to find some larger fronts to prevent this.
As to mudflaps hurting mpg...I'd love to see some data that shows there's a meaningful loss.
We just returned from a 1500+ mile road trip in the Sierras. Whereever practical we chose secondary roads, climbing multiple 5k to nearly 10k ft mountain passes and enjoying the CX-5s prowess on twisty roads. I haven't crunched the numbers yet but the onboard display shows 30.8 mpg. Before our last leg which, due to weather-related pass closures, included running up I-5 from Red Bluff to Weed, CA, the reading was over 31.

As to tinting windows there are several wibsites which outline local regulations. Here's one: http://www.tinting-laws.com/.
Also, if you have a sunroof, it helps to tint it as well.

Last edited:
I think the Mazda front flaps are way too small. I added an aftermarket flap to the existing Mazda OEM flap.
P2180002.jpg

Really not sure about the comment about having the flaps hurting the mileage, I have not noticed any drop whatsoever.
Honestly, even if it cost 1/10 or even a 1/4 MPG, Its not going to break me, I would prefer the crap not get thrown all over the side of my car.

Last edited:
I think the Mazda front flaps are way too small. I added an aftermarket flap to the existing Mazda OEM flap.
P2180002.jpg

Really not sure about the comment about having the flaps hurting the mileage, I have not noticed any drop whatsoever.
Honestly, even if it cost 1/10 or even a 1/4 MPG, Its not going to break me, I would prefer the crap not get thrown all over the side of my car.

WOW! Now those are some MUDDING FLAPS!

No, I do not think the MPG loss will be measureable by our standards, but it does nothing to help it either. :)

P2180002.jpg
I like them. Source???

Exactly!

CX-5 and Mazd6 were straight off the delivery truck. I requested the dealership not to install tint (they mark it up in price to like $500). For less price I opted for a brand of my choice.

The plastic trim on the CX-5 does a good job preventing light mud from getting to the paint already. Saw no need to add mudflaps. Purchased cheap $20 mudflaps from ebay that were nearly identical to OEM ones for the Mazda6 and installed myself.

Want to try something interesting? Purchase some red plastic cutting boards (for cutting veggies) from Ikea and bolt them on your CX-5 as mudflaps!!!!

Back