Interstate Megatron Plus Dead 3 years 10 months

Have to say, I'm rather disappointed. They advertise the battery as "3 year free replacement" and "6 year performance."
I paid 164.00 for the battery, thinking I could actually get 5 or 6 years out of it.
It was problem free until this week when suddenly it ran out of juice while trying to start the car.
I bought a battery tender plus to try and charge it, but its blinking indicating a problem with the battery, it won't charge.
So now after 3 years 10 months, I'm contemplating using the 45% pro rated warranty, or going with a different brand.

Perhaps I just got a lemon. My CX-9 has auto off for all interior and exterior lights, so my battery has never discharged on accident, so its not me.

Thoughts?

The same thing happened to me when I bought a replacement mazda battery from the dealer. I got almost 4 years out of it when it went. I wasn't going to go the pro rated route. I just went to Costco and got an interstate battery with a 42 month free replacement for 92 bucks. It has more cca's than the mazda battery at 700 and the price can't be beat, plus the free replacement is 3 /12 years as opposed to 3 years. I paid 160 at the dealer for the other battery. Never again.

The same thing happened to me when I bought a replacement mazda battery from the dealer. I got almost 4 years out of it when it went. I wasn't going to go the pro rated route. I just went to Costco and got an interstate battery with a 42 month free replacement for 92 bucks. It has more cca's than the mazda battery at 700 and the price can't be beat, plus the free replacement is 3 /12 years as opposed to 3 years. I paid 160 at the dealer for the other battery. Never again.

I went to the Interstate wholesaler store, they confirmed a dead cell. Got 40% pro-rated for another Megatron Plus, which was still cheaper than the next best option so I just put another Megatron Plus in there. But for someone buying a new battery paying full price, I would not get this one.

If I was in the same situation as you yes I would go the route you went. The dealer sells those crappy mazda batteries. The one that originally came with my car was a Panasonic and it looked beefier than that mazda battery the dealer put in the car. I definitely wasn't putting in another mazda battery.

UPDATE:
My new Megatron Plus at only a couple of months old has died. But I can't blame the battery, not 100% at least.
We drove about 7 hours and parked it up in cold Pennsylvania around 8pm. Next morning, I found that I had left ALL the interior lights on, front, center, and rear.
(I thought the car is supposed to detect it and turn it off, but I guess not)
I turned the interior lights off. Car barely started. Ran it for 30 minutes. Drove around the area a bunch same day, and next day. The third day, went out
in the morning and it was dead. Jumped it. Bought a 6 amp Schumacher charger, it said fully charged after about 4 hours, so I knew something was off.
It started after that, but barely. Kept charger/maintainer on all night, and the next day when we headed out, we drove for a couple hours, stopped to gas up. It then barely started.
Drove about 4 more hours and found a local Interstate battery store. They tested and confirmed a dead cell. Replaced it for free.
So now I'm back home with another new Megatron Plus.
I'm trying to figure out whether or not to hook up my Battery Tender Plus.
We keep our CX-9 in the garage, and it does not get driven some times for a week, even 2 weeks some times. Not the primary vehicle.
I jumped the battery a total of two times, and tried to charge it, but it was dead. I'm wondering if my use of my Battery Tender Plus combined with keeping it
in the garage somehow contributed to a single event killing the battery. I just feel like one night of leaving inside lights on shouldn't kill the battery for good.
Car is back home, in the garage.
What do you guys think. Should I use my battery tender plus, or throw it in the trash? Or did it not contribute to premature battery death?
I want to get the most life out of this new battery as possible.

Do not use the tender for now and see what happens. If you can start the car and let it run for at least 10 min once a week see if that will work. I have always started my car when it is very cold and let it get to operating temps before driving off when it is very cold. If you still have a problem I would check the electrical system. You may have something that is drawing more than it should.

Back