2016 CX-9 Rear Cargo Area Nets

racerscott

:
2016 CX-9 Signature
Below are some pictures of the 0000-8K-N21 Rear Cargo Floor Net that I just installed. The picture on the Mazda website isn't very good, so I thought I would include these in case anyone is wondering what it really looks like. I also have the Left and Ride Side Cargo Nets (0000-8K-N11) that I will post pictures on later after I get them installed (they involve drilling holes and some disassembly of the interior).
CX9_Cargo_Floor_Net_zps6mumlq4a.jpg

Below are some pictures of the 0000-8K-N21 Rear Cargo Floor Net that I just installed. The picture on the Mazda website isn't very good, so I thought I would include these in case anyone is wondering what it really looks like. I also have the Left and Ride Side Cargo Nets (0000-8K-N11) that I will post pictures on later after I get them installed (they involve drilling holes and some disassembly of the interior).

I'm currently using my 2013 CX-9 cargo net since it works perfectly. The cargo net that it can be folded with quick snap on each side so I can use it as a rear cargo barrier of some sort and be unfolded it to use as a floor net. Does the one you have has the same quick snaps? Hard to see from the picture.

I'm currently using my 2013 CX-9 cargo net since it works perfectly. The cargo net that it can be folded with quick snap on each side so I can use it as a rear cargo barrier of some sort and be unfolded it to use as a floor net. Does the one you have has the same quick snaps? Hard to see from the picture.
Yes, it has a plastic snap in each corner of the net (see below)- probably identical to the ones on your 2013 CX-9 net.
CX9_Cargo_Floor_Net_Hook_zpshchaiobn.jpg

Last edited:
Are you happy with the WeatherTech? I was thinking of ordering. Did you find any coupon codes?

Are you happy with the WeatherTech? I was thinking of ordering. Did you find any coupon codes?
I've only had it for about a week, but so far I am happy. It fits perfectly (as does all of WeatherTech's topline products). I would say that it's not an ideal product if you are going to be using the third row seats a lot; perhaps WeatherTech or someone else will eventually come out with a similar product that fits only the small area behind the third row seats. I didn't look for coupon codes (which I often do when internet shopping), I guess because I was already prepared to pay more for it than what WeatherTech eventually listed it for ($119.95 +$18.00 shipping).

I just did the side cargo nets this past week. What a freaking pain!!! I have bruises all over my arms from them being pinched while installing the clips closest to the front. They're so TINY! I had side cargo nets in my forester that had pockets. I used them all the time. The madza ones can hold something light in the side wells.

How much slack does the floor cargo net have? I need something that will hold a stroller in place.

How much slack does the floor cargo net have? I need something that will hold a stroller in place.
It is very stretchy. But for something as big as a stroller, I would try disconnecting both clip hooks on the left side (or both clip hooks on the right side), put the stroller in, and then stretch the entire net over it and reconnect the clips. Seems like this would be easier than trying to insert the stroller inside the net. NOTE: I just added a picture of a clip hook a few posts above this one.

I just did the side cargo nets this past week. What a freaking pain!!! I have bruises all over my arms from them being pinched while installing the clips closest to the front. They're so TINY!
The instructions that come with the 0000-8K-N11 Sidewall Nets aren't all that great. For Steps 5, 6, and 7, I just left the templates in place and carefully drilled the holes through them (no grease pencil marking or drill stop used). Step 14 says to remove the plastic cover from the D-rings, but doesn't say how. You have to push the cover near the top to one side to release one tab, and then pull it the opposite direction to release the other tab. The cover is hinged at the bottom and can then be pulled down. MOST IMPORTANTLY, the instructions don't mention removing the sidewall cover (by the 3rd row seats) and the Phillips screw head behind it. Without this screw removed, it is almost impossible to reach your arm behind the sidewall to get to the two forward hooks. Also, the instructions don't mention that the right (passenger) side plastic support below and forward of the storage tray, and the left (driver) side storage side tray have to be removed, but do them both. The right (passenger side) tray support is secured to the floor with 3 white clips; the tray has to be moved in a particular (and different) direction for each clip to release it, but the tray is fairly flexible which makes this fairly easy. The left (driver) side tray is more difficult - it also has 3 clips, but one of them cannot be seen except from below the vehicle - pinch it on the sides and push it up; the tray can then be released from the remaining 2 clips by sliding it the appropriate direction. When reaching forward and down behind the sidewall to install the metal washers and rubber well nuts on the 2 forward T-anchor studs (which you can't see - this part is done by "feel"), don't be surprised if your arm gets some scratches or cuts, especially if you fail to remove that Phillips head screw from behind the sidewall cover! Other thoughts: Once you can see the back of the sidewall and the 2 aft holes (the forward 2 holes are not visible), don't be overly concerned if some of the hole is through hard plastic and the rest of the hole is in the softer/thinner sidewall material - the rubber well nuts are fairly forgiving as far as the surface(s) that they seat on. Having said that, make sure that your templates are positioned correctly before your drill.
CX9_Sidewall_Cargo_Nets_zps0s0es1me.jpg

Last edited:
Here is the finished product; all 3 nets installed. Note that I also have the WeatherTech cargo liner, and it had to be notched for the 2 lower forward hooks.
SCN_8_9_text_zpsk0jxk2z7.jpg

It is very stretchy. But for something as big as a stroller, I would try disconnecting both clip hooks on the left side (or both clip hooks on the right side), put the stroller in, and then stretch the entire net over it and reconnect the clips. Seems like this would be easier than trying to insert the stroller inside the net. NOTE: I just added a picture of a clip hook a few posts above this one.

Thanks! I wasn't going to try to fit the stroller in the pocket. Lol! Right now, the generic net I have has a hard time reaching all 4 corners with the stroller. I had a net from Toyota in the past that only held down objects under 4-5" tall.

I had NO idea about that philips head screw you mentioned. No wonder why it was so hard for me. I have skinny arms and really flexible joints. There's no way a man could get his arm in there.

The weathertech mat looks really nice, too!

Yes, it has a plastic snap in each corner of the net (see below)- probably identical to the ones on your 2013 CX-9 net.
CX9_Cargo_Floor_Net_Hook_zpshchaiobn.jpg

If I'm reading this correctly, are you saying the 2016 nets can be folded in half and used as a barrier, for when the 3rd row is up? Can you guys elaborate on this a bit more please (or provide pics if you guys have one handy)?

I don't have the car right now and I'm at work so I can't check. But this would be awesome if the net is usable with the 3rd row seats up. When I installed it the other day it didn't look like it would work with the 3rd row up. But I didn't really spend too much time with it so I'm not sure.

If I'm reading this correctly, are you saying the 2016 nets can be folded in half and used as a barrier, for when the 3rd row is up? Can you guys elaborate on this a bit more please (or provide pics if you guys have one handy)?

I don't have the car right now and I'm at work so I can't check. But this would be awesome if the net is usable with the 3rd row seats up. When I installed it the other day it didn't look like it would work with the 3rd row up. But I didn't really spend too much time with it so I'm not sure.

If it's totally identical as to my 2013 CX-9 cargo net, then it can be folded and used as a barrier. Like turborascal had mentioned that it has the quick snap buttons on the each side of the net which is what it's for.

If it's totally identical as to my 2013 CX-9 cargo net, then it can be folded and used as a barrier. Like turborascal had mentioned that it has the quick snap buttons on the each side of the net which is what it's for.

where does the top part of the net mount onto though? the bottom part has D-rings to attach to. On the top part, only thing I;m seeing are some plastic hooks but no D-rings. Do you guys hook the bungie from the net on those hooks?

where does the top part of the net mount onto though? the bottom part has D-rings to attach to. On the top part, only thing I;m seeing are some plastic hooks but no D-rings. Do you guys hook the bungie from the net on those hooks?

That's where the difference is I believe. On my 2013 CX-9 cargo net, it has a bungee loop in every corner as well that I can use to attach it to the hooks on both upper sides that has no D ring making it as a barrier. The new one doesn't have those. I will try snap some pictures and post it here for your reference as soon as I get the chance.

This is how my 2013 CX-9 rear cargo net looks like folded and used as a barrier.

A close up pics of the upper part of the net with a hook and loop.

Bottom part that attaches to the D ring.

Last edited:
awesome thank you sir.

I'll try to see if I can use the 2016 net the same way. if not, I'll grab a 2013 net from ebay/amazon.

thanks

awesome thank you sir.

I'll try to see if I can use the 2016 net the same way. if not, I'll grab a 2013 net from ebay/amazon.

thanks

No problem needmovies. Let us know if the new one works the same as I'm curious too.

No problem needmovies. Let us know if the new one works the same as I'm curious too.

new one kinda works as well as a barrier like that. I have the net hooks closest to the hatch hooked up to their respective D-rings, and I have the bungie for top net hooks hooked up to the cargo hooks like you have on your pic. It works but it looks a bit sloppy since it's not folded in half like yours, and it has all that excess net slouched on the bottom. It works well for groceries and stuff though so I think I will keep them

Back