New to the Mazda crowd

:
2014 Mazda5 Sport auto
Hi, everyone. My wife and I just sold our house and currently buying another one together with my father and are keping some of the cash for future house upgrades and a Mazda 5! We have a 4-year old and plan on having another once we're settled into the new place and feel the 5 is the perfect vehicle for us. I've a VW guy (currently own three) and this will be my first Mazda.

We rented a 5 many rears ago for a Vegas trip with some friends and LOVED it. The small exterior dimensions, compact car-like driveability, sliding doors, and flexible seat configurations are really appealing to me. I find it insane that, despite being the only manufacturer to offer anything with these features, sales managed to fall to the point where they decided to discontinue it. I guess America only like minivans that are more like megavans.
(sadbanana)

Anyway, we are looking at a couple different dark blue 2014 models with 40-50k miles. I'm really excited about a particular CPO one that's a couple hours away so it better be there Saturday morning when we go. Unfortunately, practically every one we find is sport model with an automatic so that's what I'm expecting to end up with. I'll be getting my own 17's, adding some projector fog lights, and a stereo redo with bluetooth, a backup camera and possibly nav (android app radio or something).

This forum seemed to be the most active so I joined. I've already learned some things and look forward to contributing what I can.
(hi)

Welcome and here's hoping you get the CPO MZ5! Post pics if/when you purchase :)

Thanks, Hank.

We got her! A 2014 Sport A/T in deep crystal blue on black. (Image)

Paid $12k plus tax, license, etc (13.3k total) from a Mazda dealer about an hour away. Since it's from a Mazda dealer, it's a CPO and we get 12k miles of comprehensive warranty and, of course, the drivetrain warranty til 100k. It has 45k now and was a previous rental. It has a fair amount of scratches and a ton of "spiderwebbing" in the paint. I can't wait to spend a day polishing and waxing.

Planned mods are:
  • Double-din receiver with nav, BT, and backup camera
  • LED DRL (https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)) and maybe projector fogs
  • HID low beams
  • 17" or 18" wheels, probably OEM Mazda
  • Mild lowering
  • Speaker upgrade; component fronts, possibly 2-way rears
  • A subtle rear hatch spoiler and/or front lip

Last edited:
If I can throw in some advice that may or may not help...

Turn signal based DRLs work exceptionally well on the Mazda5 as the signals are at the far front corners and shine both forward and laterally. These are stock on a number of vehicles and are an explicitly legal NHTSA (and Canadian and Mexican) DRL configuration for the stock signals, while many aftermarket DRLs haven't been tested to comply with legal limits regarding both luminosity and spacing from a turn signal.

When not running the parking lights or a turn signal, this setup runs the turn signals filaments full-time (not the much dimmer parking filaments), and has shown more accident reductions in studies that have been run than any other type of DRL (and was markedly superior in broad daylight to running the headlights full time). Web Electric (and a few others) sell a kit for $40ish that works really well in the MZ5, here's a MZ3 with it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPPhqjlfc0E

Where low beams are concerned, I honestly think the best upgrade (for seeing ability) is to stick with the (very good) stock projectors, but to go to halogen H9 bulbs with a slight base modification in the lows. These offer much more light (2100 lumens vs 1200, going from H11 long-life bulbs in the lows!) but with an identical filament position to the original halogens - so they glare far less than most HIDs, which by their nature can't match the optical properties of halogen filaments. HIR1/9011 bulbs can similarly be placed into the highs, and generate more light at the same wattage as stock. The light is "whiter" than stock but by no means blue - H9 and HIR1 bulbs are uncoated per their standards in order to throw as much light as possible. These are in an entirely different league than "+80%" and "+100%" stock fitment bulbs, which offer improved light distribution over stock due to higher filament precision but actually only throw about 20% more lumens, at best.

The HIR1 high beams just make the night go away. You have to be responsible with them, but they are very nice out on an empty road with possible wildlife. They also light up reflective street signs like they're on fire.

One reason I'd be especially wary of doing a HID conversion is that the stock MZ5 halogen projectors throw a significant amount of light above the cutoff line. This can be greatly worsened by off-center light as would be found coming from a HID capsule (halogen filaments are brightest in the middle, HID capsules are brightest at the endpoints of the curved arc). If you could lay hands on some stock MZ5 HID projectors (which are totally different than the halogen ones) then I think you'd be in good shape (but these are pricy).

Have fun with your MZ5! I picked up a 2013 6MT with 36k on it earlier this year and it's probably been the best car I've ever bought. Some other things that I found to be great improvements:

Swap in a pair of stock Mazda continental European heated mirror glass (aussenspiegelglas, if you're looking on ebay.de...). These are convex on both sides and really eliminate any trace of a blind spot far better than the stock mirrors. Even the sport has wiring going up to the mirror assembly for heated mirrors!

Mazda6 sun visors. These take a small modification to the sun visor clip, but can extend out on an arm - the stock Mazda5 visors are just poor for dealing with sideways sun. The Mazda6 ones cut down the area that can't be covered by something like 75%.

Next on the list is a Mazdaspeed 3 rear sway bar and replacement end links. Zoom zoom. ;)

Ruby

Last edited:
Welcome! I sure do miss my 5 sometimes...

Good Tires, Koni FSD shocks, nice headunit, upgraded speakers. Those were the mods I enjoyed the most on my 5...

In my own opinion, I think that the 17 inch tires are the optimum size for this application.

Congrats on the new ride. I've got 166k on mine and its still running well. You might want to wait on some of the mods till the CPO warranty expires, as you don't want to give Mazda a reason to deny a claim.

Great info, Ruby! Cmprehensive, well-written and it all makes sense. Let me comment on your points, piecemeal...
Turn signal based DRLs work exceptionally well on the Mazda5 as the signals are at the far front corners and shine both forward and laterally. These are stock on a number of vehicles and are an explicitly legal NHTSA (and Canadian and Mexican) DRL configuration for the stock signals, while many aftermarket DRLs haven't been tested to comply with legal limits regarding both luminosity and spacing from a turn signal.

When not running the parking lights or a turn signal, this setup runs the turn signals filaments full-time (not the much dimmer parking filaments), and has shown more accident reductions in studies that have been run than any other type of DRL (and was markedly superior in broad daylight to running the headlights full time). Web Electric (and a few others) sell a kit for $40ish that works really well in the MZ5, here's a MZ3 with it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPPhqjlfc0E
While that module is a good plug-and-play solution, I've believe that an effective DRL would be a bright, white light projecting forward--Something that would be most noticeable to a driver waiting at an intersection that you are rapidly approaching who might otherwise pull out in front of you. At least that is the scenario that I'm most interested in preventing. The bright filament of the front turn signals would be effective, too, but white LEDS are generally more eye-catching and that is the point. Plus I think those aftermarket DRL's I linked to are very OEM-looking and add a little upscale-ness to the 5. :)

Where low beams are concerned, I honestly think the best upgrade (for seeing ability) is to stick with the (very good) stock projectors, but to go to halogen H9 bulbs with a slight base modification in the lows. These offer much more light (2100 lumens vs 1200, going from H11 long-life bulbs in the lows!) but with an identical filament position to the original halogens - so they glare far less than most HIDs, which by their nature can't match the optical properties of halogen filaments. HIR1/9011 bulbs can similarly be placed into the highs, and generate more light at the same wattage as stock. The light is "whiter" than stock but by no means blue - H9 and HIR1 bulbs are uncoated per their standards in order to throw as much light as possible. These are in an entirely different league than "+80%" and "+100%" stock fitment bulbs, which offer improved light distribution over stock due to higher filament precision but actually only throw about 20% more lumens, at best.

The HIR1 high beams just make the night go away. You have to be responsible with them, but they are very nice out on an empty road with possible wildlife. They also light up reflective street signs like they're on fire.
Okay, you convinced me to stick to old-fashioned incandescents. :p It sounds like they're plenty of an upgrade and the simplicity of plug-and-play without extra wiring, relays, etc is appealing since I don't have as much free time as I used to.

One reason I'd be especially wary of doing a HID conversion is that the stock MZ5 halogen projectors throw a significant amount of light above the cutoff line. This can be greatly worsened by off-center light as would be found coming from a HID capsule (halogen filaments are brightest in the middle, HID capsules are brightest at the endpoints of the curved arc). If you could lay hands on some stock MZ5 HID projectors (which are totally different than the halogen ones) then I think you'd be in good shape (but these are pricy).
Judging by sac02's light thread, the beam cutoff seems pretty good. I notice a little bleeding above, but I didn't think it generally got much better than that. I haven't owned a car with projector headlamps before, though.

Swap in a pair of stock Mazda continental European heated mirror glass (aussenspiegelglas, if you're looking on ebay.de...). These are convex on both sides and really eliminate any trace of a blind spot far better than the stock mirrors. Even the sport has wiring going up to the mirror assembly for heated mirrors!
Good tip! COnvex mirrors would be appreciated. I read somewhere that Mazda cheaped out with the later years ('014/'015?) and body harnesses were specific to trim levels, ie. they didn't have connectors for features that weren't needed. I'll find out, though.

Mazda6 sun visors. These take a small modification to the sun visor clip, but can extend out on an arm - the stock Mazda5 visors are just poor for dealing with sideways sun. The Mazda6 ones cut down the area that can't be covered by something like 75%.
Those would be awesome. I found out 15 minutes into the drive home from the dealer that the sunshades weren't adequate for blocking the sun from the side. After I first read your post, I stopped in to a local scrap yard on the way home from work and the visors they brought out (from an '09, I think) didn't have extenders. After reading it again just now, I realize the whole visor itself slides out on the arm. D'ohh. Guess I'm going back. BTW, they wanted $30 each so I might look around on ebay first.

Next on the list is a Mazdaspeed 3 rear sway bar and replacement end links. Zoom zoom. ;)
I'm with ya, there! Thanks for bestowing your 5 wisdom, Ruby.

Welcome! I sure do miss my 5 sometimes...

Good Tires, Koni FSD shocks, nice headunit, upgraded speakers. Those were the mods I enjoyed the most on my 5...

In my own opinion, I think that the 17 inch tires are the optimum size for this application.
I never heard of the FSD's until you mentioned it. Reading about them, they seem kind of magical and long-overdue. A bit pricey, though!

I've definitely leaning more towards 17's as well and probably sticking to stock springs.

Congrats on the new ride. I've got 166k on mine and its still running well. You might want to wait on some of the mods till the CPO warranty expires, as you don't want to give Mazda a reason to deny a claim.
I have a Jetta with 270k on it so 166k barely seems middle-aged to me. This is only the second automatic car I've ever owned and the transmission was the demise of the first so I can only expect that to be the limiting factor on this car's longevity. I plan on running it into the ground.

Good call on the warranty! I didn't even think of that. I wouldn't put it past any car maker/dealer to blame a modified headlight bulb for, say, a window motor failing.

Okay, you convinced me to stick to old-fashioned incandescents. :p It sounds like they're plenty of an upgrade and the simplicity of plug-and-play without extra wiring, relays, etc is appealing since I don't have as much free time as I used to.

Judging by sac02's light thread, the beam cutoff seems pretty good. I notice a little bleeding above, but I didn't think it generally got much better than that. I haven't owned a car with projector headlamps before, though.
The FMVSS automotive lighting standards cap light thrown above the cutoff line to 800cp. While sac02's (excellent) review showed the H9 light to be below that, it wasn't a lot below that - the "squirrel spotters" in HID projector headlights are designed to cut off considerably more light, proportionally.

A 35W HID light will produce somewhat more raw light than an H9, albeit at a lower CRI. More importantly it will produce that light off-center, which due to the geometry of a halogen projector headlight generally makes it more likely for light to end up going through the gap in the cutoff for upwards light throw. So...I can't think of a way that a 35W HID in the stock projectors could pass photometric standards for lighting, and a 55W would be much worse (with vanishingly few exceptions, no HID conversion except one using OEM parts is legal in the USA or Canada, but that's a separate issue). The USA already has one of the looser limits for upwards light of most countries and I don't think that exceeding them is a good idea.

The H9 does consume 65W, vs the 55W of the H11. However the luminous efficiency is so much higher that you only end up with, net, about 5-6W of extra radiated heat. If this feels too risky than one of the uncoated high performance *standards-conforming* H11 bulbs like the Philips Xtreme Vision is probably your best choice.

The 9011/HIR1 has identical wattage to the stock 9005 high beams, just fairly awe-inspiring luminous efficiency for a halogen bulb (38 lumens per watt!). The ones now available (Philips) are basically are an improved 9005 with a higher performance filament with more precise placement, and an improved gas fill. They even have the same connector as the 9005, just slightly different keying on the base. I find it pretty hard to imagine any problems coming from using them as long as you stay very responsible with them.

Whatever you do, *keep your headlights aimed well*. I've found that my Mazda5 easily squats down in the back if heavily laden, and that moves your light cutoff upwards. When you put out a lot of light I think it's incumbent on you to make absolutely sure that it doesn't diminish road safely.

More later. :)

Ruby

Last edited:
Those would be awesome. I found out 15 minutes into the drive home from the dealer that the sunshades weren't adequate for blocking the sun from the side. After I first read your post, I stopped in to a local scrap yard on the way home from work and the visors they brought out (from an '09, I think) didn't have extenders. After reading it again just now, I realize the whole visor itself slides out on the arm. D'ohh. Guess I'm going back. BTW, they wanted $30 each so I might look around on ebay first.

I'm with ya, there! Thanks for bestowing your 5 wisdom, Ruby.
Oh, you're welcome, I'm glad some other people could benefit.

The Mazda6 shade does slide out on the arm, and in its contracted state it fits neatly into the ceiling well on the Mazda5. Unfortunately even in that state, the portion of the visor that engages with the clip on the ceiling is just a little further away than it is on the stock Mazda5 visor. The part that fastens the arm to the ceiling is almost identical, thankfully, and fits just as the Mazda5 one does after removing a very small bit of plastic (it's obvious, holding them side by side).

I've shaped clips (a coping saw and dremel works well here) to narrow the portion of them that clips onto the visor, and then everything fits. This probably does decrease the ultimate lifespan of the clip to some degree, but I think it's a pretty reasonable tradeoff all in all - you can live without the clips entirely if you really have to.

Hope this helps! I have a friend who does parts prototyping for a living and he might help me make a set of custom clips, if it happens I'd let other people know.

Ruby

Hi Tawrus, just one more thing (geez I sound like Columbo lately)...

The reason I advocate the H9+HIR1 setup is in part because the 2012- NA Mazda5, and other vehicles with a projector H11 low beam and a 9005 high, have the best-case setup there is for potential halogen upgrades. It's a reasonable bet that when properly aimed you will be compliant with legal photometric standards for lighting, yet you get more lumens at near stock wattage than if you'd started from housings using any other types of incandescent bulbs. Combined with the widely spaced turn signals, amber on the rear, I think a lightly upgraded Mazda5 has some of the best visibility from the drivers seat and from outside that there is.

I love this silly car. Does it show?

Ruby
2013 Mazda5 6MT

Back