Left and right dash speakers replaced with components.

I have a set of Infinity Primus PR6500CS components, front and rear. I have placed the tweeter on the little triungular plastic cover, next to the mirror. It is parallel with the window, most likely it is not ideal.
I have purchased a year ago, a set of Focal 165FX set and I'm planning to install it, in one of the upcomming weekends.
I'm lassy to run wires to the dash, so I'm planning to install them, in the same spot, using the tweeter pods and I'm planning to point them, toward the center of the car.
If I'm correct, the dash ones are installed in parallel(wiring) to the door speakers. I have never measured the total resistance, when I have installed my system. I hope, that the total resistance is not way under the required resistance. Most likely it is lower at front compared to the rear(no dash speakers).
I did not have any issues, until now. I'm thinking about, removing the dash speakers, or adding a set, in the d pillar.

Tweeters are supposed to face the listeners as the high notes are directional. Putting the missing tweeters on the A-pillars is the least the Mazda should do for the new CX-5!
Not always true, back when I was seriously interested in auto-SQ general wisdom was saying that installing tweeters to be reflected of the windshield helps to reduce the harshness of metallic and lower end tweeter models - without greatly affecting the staging.
So are you suggesting Bose and Mazda made a mistake adding a pair of new tweeters on the A pillars for 2017 2nd-gen CX-5? ;)

I know sound engineering is complicated and current 9-speaker Bose system in CX-5 is a very average sound system. In fact some member tested it with equipment and claimed our "Blose" system is one of the worst sound systems due to very uneven frequency response!

By saying tweeters are supposed to face the listeners in general as the high notes are directional is a common knowledge. Actually I heard too many comments that by reflecting sound from windshield for dash speakers is a very bad idea. Not to mention you're trying to reflect the high notes from tweeters which is differicult changing directions. In addition, current 9-speaker Bose on CX-5 has no tweeters but 3" Twiddler "mid-range" dash speakers and there're not much high notes can be reflected by the windshield! Of course we should tweak all speaker locations to make whole sound quality even more perfect in the different environments but that would cost too much. The most ideal location for tweeters in automobiles is on the triangle area inside of the outside rearview mirrors for the best space utilization and sound effect. That's why most high-end cars such as BMW with premium sound package have the tweeters there.

To me, speakers are the weakest link for any sound system, and should be the most expensive part of a system. On the other hand, speakers can be the easiest part of sound system to cheap it out! Our Bose system in current CX-5 with cheap paper cone speakers without tweeters and sub-woofer is a perfect example to cut the cost for a sound system! And Mazda keeps using Bose Centerpoint surround sound system designed for movie watching home theater is always a mystery to me!

So are you suggesting Bose and Mazda made a mistake adding a pair of new tweeters on the A pillars for 2017 2nd-gen CX-5? ;)

Whatever Mazda does, you can be about 200% certain - they really don't give a rat's a$$ about making stock sound system any better.

If I had to speculate - given the latest "Premium" trend with CX-9 - they are going for a more expensive look, but that's about it.

At the end of the day (nowadays), everything is made:
a)to be visually appealing and features - rich
b)to be as cheap as it gets
c)to be easy to install
d)sound quality? Who cares as long as it's "acceptable"?

As far as the general theory goes - it all really depends on where you coming from and where you want to get. If you're an audiophile - your're looking for one thing, if you just want you music loud - it's a complete opposite, and if your understanding of good audio system orbits around having a couple of 15" subs in the trunk - well - what's the point of arguing about where tweeters go at all?

And you're absolutely correct in saying that nowadays speakers are the weakest link. Correctly installed speakers + sound insolation will most likely account for the 80% improvement at 20% of the cost.

Last edited:
Components used are as follows:
1. Dayton Audio rs75-4 for the woofer in stock dash location. I cut out a bracket for it and it fits just fine

2. Crossovers and tweeters come from a pioneer component set (ts-d1730c). I used the woofers on another install and was left with crossovers and tweeters so I figured I'd put them to use here. Crossover point is @4800hz, which works great in this case because that about where the Daytons begin to roll off their upper frequency response anyways.

The crossover has 3 tweeter settings. -3db, 0db and +3db. I ended up using -3db setting

The location I chose for the tweeter is where I thought it would be easiest to install. Before making any cuts I played around with a few different locations for the tweeters and this one was the best in my opinion for sound and ease of installation.

Also keep in mind, you can do this project while using the stock dash speakers if you want. You just need the passive crossovers and tweeters. Parts express has a good selection.

Do you know what the crossover point is to the 3.5s from the Bose?

Back