2017 Mazda CX9 help

h2pvnus

:
Honda
Dose the CX9 has ambient lights, brake hold and start/stop feature, and folding mirrors?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Dose the CX9 has ambient lights, brake hold and start/stop feature, and folding mirrors?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Does the CX9 have ambient lights (some), brake hold yes and start/stop feature no, and folding mirrors (yes, but not power)?

AMBIENT LIGHTS - YES on higher trim levels... Ambient lights are under the sides of the center console. behind each inner door handle, center of the above map lights and above each interior door pocket
BRAKE HOLD - If you are talking about Brake Hold like in Mercedes (ie. will hold the brakes instead of you keeping your foot on the brake) then NO. If you are talking about Hill Hold Assist...then YES
START/STOP - NO...Mazda Engineer said that the fuel saved on vehicles with such feature is negligible. ....IMO its a useless feature that puts more wear on your engine overtime.... I always disable this function on my GLK350
FOLDING MIRRORS - NO

Last edited:
thugzy beat me to the punch on the ambient lighting question.
Thanks also for clarifying the brake hold vs. hill hold assist differences and specifying which the CX-9 has.

AMBIENT LIGHTS - YES on higher trim levels... Ambient lights are under the sides of the center console. behind each inner door handle, and above each interior door pocket
BRAKE HOLD - If you are talking about Brake Hold like in Mercedes (ie. will hold the brakes instead of you keeping your foot on the brake) then NO. If you are talking about Hill Hold Assist...then YES
START/STOP - NO...Mazda Engineer said that the fuel saved on vehicles with such feature is negligible. ....IMO its a useless feature that puts more wear on your engine overtime.... I always disable this function on my GLK350
FOLDING MIRRORS - NO
Thank it kind bump out. Even my sonata has the brake hold feature. Work great during traffic jam and stop light.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

AMBIENT LIGHTS - YES on higher trim levels... Ambient lights are under the sides of the center console. behind each inner door handle, and above each interior door pocket
FOLDING MIRRORS - NO
Are there any 2017 CX-9's available now? :)

And ambient lights on other vehicles normally are located on the ceiling near the front map lights?

"Brake Hold" now is a term for the function you described in Mercedes. It's almost a standard feature with every vehicle equipped with electric parking brake. I keep hearing the blank square space next to the Mazda's electric parking brake switch is for the Brake Hold push-button switch - hasn't happened yet!

As for Madza's i-stop, the real reason we don't have it here is the cost, and it doesn't reflect the fuel savings well in the EPA city test cycle. But it does save fuel in the real world environment, and that's why Mazda offers the i-stop all over the world but the North American market! Mazda's unique i-stop restarts the engine through combustion; fuel is directly injected into a cylinder while the engine is stopped and ignited to generate downward piston force. It's a useful feature for fuel savings, especially in the stop-and-go city traffic. Don't think there's reliability issue as the i-stop has been out for many years. And the hybrid's engines are also stop and start all the time and we haven't seen any more engine wear problems either. Now even Honda has started offering the Idle-Stop, a similar system, in their Pilot for the US customers!

Last edited:
Are there any 2017 CX-9's available now? :)

And ambient lights on other vehicles normally are located on the ceiling near the front map lights?

"Brake Hold" now is a term for the function you described in Mercedes. It's almost a standard feature with every vehicle equipped with electric parking brake. I keep hearing the blank square space next to the Mazda's electric parking brake switch is for the Brake Hold push-button switch - hasn't happened yet!

As for Madza's i-stop, the real reason we don't have it here is the cost, and it doesn't reflect the fuel savings well in the EPA city test cycle. But it does save fuel in the real world environment, and that's why Mazda offers the i-stop all over the world but the North American market! Mazda's unique i-stop restarts the engine through combustion; fuel is directly injected into a cylinder while the engine is stopped and ignited to generate downward piston force. It's a useful feature for fuel savings, especially in the stop-and-go city traffic. Don't think there's reliability issue as the i-stop has been out for many years. And the hybrid's engines are also stop and start all the time and we haven't seen any more engine wear problems either. Now even Honda has started offering the Idle-Stop, a similar system, in their Pilot for the US customers!

I correct myself and forgot to include the ambient light on the roof in between the map lights... you are correct

I have the start stop in my GLK and had it for 4 years now.... through my ownership I have not seen any if almost little savings using the start stop.... not all the time it restarts with combustion, the crank position has to be in the perfect spot for this to occur. 90% of the time the starter motor is used...

I correct myself and forgot to include the ambient light on the roof in between the map lights... you are correct

I have the start stop in my GLK and had it for 4 years now.... through my ownership I have not seen any if almost little savings using the start stop.... not all the time it restarts with combustion, the crank position has to be in the perfect spot for this to occur. 90% of the time the starter motor is used...
That's why I said Madza's i-stop is unique! It'd make engine stopped at proper TDC and re-start it through combustion! Unfortunately we can't experience it in the US, but only from the YouTube. All reviewers said the stop / start process on Mazda's i-stop is seamless!

AMBIENT LIGHTS - YES on higher trim levels... Ambient lights are under the sides of the center console. behind each inner door handle, center of the above map lights and above each interior door pocket
FOLDING MIRRORS - NO

Hill Hold Assist is amazing. I use it in a very, very high hill where I had issues with my old CX9 Sport. This Hill at peak hours always have a line of traffic! I even see Big Suburbans and other Big SUV without Hill assistance with problems. With my new CX9, a piece of cake.

BTW my wife have the Nissan Xtrail 2015 (Rogue 2015 in USA) and when the Hill Assist is working, the display shows the SUV in the Hill with a glowing light on the tires! nice!

Supposedly this was also the best way to start a Model T rather thank hand cranking it. Those who knew would somehow make sure the engine was sitting at a certain number of degrees of TDC, then they would prime and turn on spark and boom, running engine.

I believe the new CX9 yes have Brake hold or a similar function and is a different feature than Hill Assistance.

How works:

If you are in D (Drive Gear) in a long red traffic light and your foot is tired, you just press the electronic parking brake button and the brake pedal will move down to let you know the brake is in hold. The display in the front will show the BRAKE led turned on in RED to let you know the brake is applied.

You can then remove the foot from the brake pedal without moving the Gear from Drive.

When you get your green light in the traffic light, you just put your foot on the brake pedal again and remove the hold brake by pressing the electronic brake switch again.

I test it and works but I need to read the manual to see if this is by design or what.

Last edited:

And I believe you are correct. The electric brake in the cx9 works like a hold brake. In D gear in red light, pushing the electric brake button even move the brake pedal down and you don't need to put the transmission from D to Neutral or Park.

We just need an official confirmation or article to confirm that.

How you activate Brake Hold in your Sonata?
There is a dedicated button on the Sonata. You can activate it when car started and it deactivate by default when car off. At stop light just brake down the brake untill green light indicator lit up then you good

There is a dedicated button on the Sonata. You can activate it when car started and it deactivate by default when car off. At stop light just brake down the brake untill green light indicator lit up then you good

thanks. and do you have any indication on the display or led showing you are on Brake Hold?

Yeah after you press the button it will show the word "brake hold" on the instrument cluster. When u stop and depress the brake untill it change ftom white to green indicate it activated

Back