2016 CX-5 Touring Red Key Warning Light

Wobbs91

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 Touring
Hi everyone. I have a 2016 Mazda CX-5 Touring with just 15k miles. This week the Start/Stop button started flashing amber when I go to start and when the car is running and I get the red key warning light while the car is running. Others have suggested that it could be the key fob battery but I am doubtful as this car is about a year old and locking/unlocking doors with the key is no problem even from a distance. Any suggestions? The car runs good but I want to get rid of this light!

Try your other fob#2 and see what happens?

Then if it works fine, you can be assured that the problem lies within fob#1, most likely the battery. (detect)

Last edited:
What does the owner's manual say about this? I'm sure this is covered in there and that you did consult that book?

Try your other fob#2 and see what happens?

Then if it works fine, you can be assured that the problem lies within fob#1, most likely the battery. (detect)

Agreed. The fob battery is easy to change. Ours both needed replacement at 2+ years and around 16k miles.

Agreed. The fob battery is easy to change. Ours both needed replacement at 2+ years and around 16k miles.

I will give this a try. I bought the car used and it came with just one key fob so I can't try the other unfortunately. Will swap battery and post update.

I will give this a try. I bought the car used and it came with just one key fob so I can't try the other unfortunately. Will swap battery and post update.

Update: New battery. Same problem. Owners manual says to see a dealer. Open to suggestions.

Not covered under warranty? Did you buy it from a dealer? You should have gotten 2 fobs - they are expensive and only the dealer can program them!

Not covered under warranty? Did you buy it from a dealer? You should have gotten 2 fobs - they are expensive and only the dealer can program them!

I'm not sure if it's covered or not. I bought the car at an insurance auction after it was in a fender bender. I'll have to check once it's registered (finishing up the repair). Was fine for a while but the light started to appear this week.

Back