2013 CX-5 MT wearing out.

Highly unlikely you need a clutch replacement. I took my 626 to 250,000 miles before replacing the original clutch. That car many squeaking clutch pedals. New fluid and sil glyde on the moving clutch pedal parts alway quieted it down.
I am sure the CX-5 clutch will last just as long, since I am older and even easier on my take offs.

Last edited:
I received a call from Mazda NA Operations. They offered to pay for the majority of the repair which includes replacement of the clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing. I wrote them an email the day and posted my original post here, not expecting to ever hear back from them. Needless to day, I was pleasantly surprised. It'll still cost me a chuck of change but it's a huge help. My car is completely out of warranty. Thank you Mazda!

I'll post another update once the repairs are complete.

I received a call from Mazda NA Operations. They offered to pay for the majority of the repair which includes replacement of the clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing. I wrote them an email the day and posted my original post here, not expecting to ever hear back from them. Needless to day, I was pleasantly surprised. It'll still cost me a chuck of change but it's a huge help. My car is completely out of warranty. Thank you Mazda!

I'll post another update once the repairs are complete.
Kudos to Mazda North American Operations who steps up to the plate and takes care of the Mazda owners although I'd hope a 53K-mile CX-5 shouldn't experience such problems from its clutch components. We could always argue that these failed clutch components should be covered under 5-year/60,000-mile powertrain warranty!

Sorry for the late update. Mazda NA fulfilled their promise. My dealer performed the repairs, provided a free loaner vehicle and charged me exactly as promised. Not a penny more or less. I couldn't have been happier with the result. My satisfaction was short lived. Less than a month later, the squeak is back! It's not as loud but it's there, taunting me at every press of the clutch pedal. I've just about given up at this point. What would you do?

By the way, speaking of disappointments, Mazda NA decided to drop the MT for the 2017's. I heard they were dropping the 2.0L so I was hoping for a 2.5L paired with a MT. I wanted to trade up, even if it's still just the Sport trim. I wish they would reconsider. I'm going to hold on to mine a little longer.

Sorry for the late update. Mazda NA fulfilled their promise. My dealer performed the repairs, provided a free loaner vehicle and charged me exactly as promised. Not a penny more or less. I couldn't have been happier with the result. My satisfaction was short lived. Less than a month later, the squeak is back! It's not as loud but it's there, taunting me at every press of the clutch pedal. I've just about given up at this point. What would you do?

By the way, speaking of disappointments, Mazda NA decided to drop the MT for the 2017's. I heard they were dropping the 2.0L so I was hoping for a 2.5L paired with a MT. I wanted to trade up, even if it's still just the Sport trim. I wish they would reconsider. I'm going to hold on to mine a little longer.

hmmm

I beginning to think that all of the CX-5's clutches squeak somewhat.
Mine's been doing it occasionally for 3+ years. Often the squeak was accompanied by less than smooth shifts.

I've adapted my driving style to pushing the clutch in more slowly and I haven't noticed any squeaking or shifting problems in months.

My current theory is that the slave cylinder (that's what squeaks in my case) is sensitive and if I slam the clutch down do the floor quickly it gets upset.

I changed the manual transmission fluid last weekend. I used Red Line MTL 75w-80. It took nearly 2 quarts. 59K miles and the fluid was dark, smelled horrible and had fine particulate matter floating in it. I've driven it 4 days so far and there is less difficulty rowing through gears and no grinding.

Another thing I've noticed is it seem to have restored some fuel economy. Too soon to tell but when I originally purchased the car, I consistently went over 70 miles before the first light on the fuel gauge goes out after a fill up. Last couple years I barely gone 40 miles. This week I went over 70 miles again. I'll need to average it out over the next few tanks to confirm.

I changed the manual transmission fluid last weekend. I used Red Line MTL 75w-80. It took nearly 2 quarts. 59K miles and the fluid was dark, smelled horrible and had fine particulate matter floating in it. I've driven it 4 days so far and there is less difficulty rowing through gears and no grinding.

Another thing I've noticed is it seem to have restored some fuel economy. Too soon to tell but when I originally purchased the car, I consistently went over 70 miles before the first light on the fuel gauge goes out after a fill up. Last couple years I barely gone 40 miles. This week I went over 70 miles again. I'll need to average it out over the next few tanks to confirm.

Strange that they didn't replace the fluid when they did your clutch.

⋯ My satisfaction was short lived. Less than a month later, the squeak is back! It's not as loud but it's there, taunting me at every press of the clutch pedal. I've just about given up at this point. What would you do?
Usually a bad throw out bearing will cause grinding or squeaking noise whenever you press the clutch pedal. If I were you I'll contact Mazda North American Operations again. The clutch work done not long ago should be covered under repair warranty.

I was hoping for a 2.5 MT-6 CX-5 too. I am going to keep driving mine too, but I am always looking for what I would replace it with if needed. Manuals are slim 'pickins.

Watching that video posted early in this thread sounds like the squeak is coming from under the dash? I would think if it's coming from the engine compartment you wouldn't hear it from inside the vehicle. If you're hearing it from inside I'd say it's the clutch master cylinder making the noise.

Back