switz

:
2008 Mazda5 GT 5-spd manual
The picture says it all ...

Attachments

• odometer.jpeg
    odometer.jpeg
    13 KB · Views: 192
Impressive! Close to 250K miles. How's she holding up?

Wow, 400k, where the heck do you drive? (drinks)
I'm averaging 10k a year, that would take me 40 years to do...
On my truck I can barely do 5k, that would be basically mission impossible for me.

Yeah I'd like to know if there were any major work done to have it reach 250k miles? Got 140k miles on my '07 and have been contemplating whether to get rid of it for a newer vehicle or save the money and keep the MZ5..

This is honestly the best vehicle I have ever owned. I've changed the engine oil and filter every 8000km (every 2-3 months). I changed the spark plugs and transmission oil at 220,000km. I've drained and refilled the radiator 3 times. That's it for major work. I've changed the front struts and rear shocks once. I'm on my third pair of brake pads. It still has the original freaking battery! The only real issue I've had is pulsating front brakes. I'm on my third set of front rotors. The second time I changed the pads and rotors and a brake pulsation in came back quickly, within 30,000km. I just recently replaced the front rotors, pads, and calipers to hopefully eliminate the pulsating for good. That's it. The engine is still strong giving good fuel economy (8.5-10.0L/100km depending on life) and still consumes very little oil between oil changes. The clutch and transmission are strong. Drives straight down the road.

I've been thinking of getting rid of it because I don't know what my break at any time, but now that I've passed 400,000 (I'm now at 401,800 today), I kinda want to see how far it will go. It really is our daily driver. I was thinking about trading it off next summer, but I won't get much for it. So I was thinking of just keeping it as an extra vehicle. But it's running so good I don't REALLY need to get rid of it. I dunno. I am a firm believer that if you use a machine regularly and keep up on the maintenance, it will last longer that if it spends quite a bit of time sitting and not moving, hence the term "Lot Rot". A used car sitting on a lot for a long time deteriorates, rusts, seizes up, etc... and becomes unreliable quicker.

I would not shy away from purchasing a used Mazda 5 with high km's. The engine in this vehicle is a strong one. I can't speak on the automatic transmission as mine is a manual, but I can say the manual is also dead-reliable; same with the clutch.

Overall, very happy with this vehicle. Best vehicle I have ever owned.

I guess I forgot to mention that I've also replaced both the left and right half-shafts because the CV joints were leaking, and it's easier, and just as expensive, to replace the whole half-shaft than to replace individual CV joints. Sad comment on vehicle repair nowadays. Also, I guess the right front wheel bearing was replaced at only 135,000kms. Other than that, it's just been new tires, brakes, shocks, and oil changes; stuff you would expect to change on any vehicle with high kilometer-age. :)

See if you can hit a million, that would be awesome!
Maybe Mazda will give you a special deal on a new car at that time.

Your brake line may need to be bled to reduce the pulsing. Never heard or seen a Mazda go 400k. Is yours equipped with the 2.3 liter or 2.5 liter.

Good to hear another success story!

Your 400,000 kilometers or 250,000 miles is darn good!

However it is not uncommon! I have over 450,000 kilometers or 283,000 miles on my Mazdaspeed3!

Your brake line may need to be bled to reduce the pulsing. Never heard or seen a Mazda go 400k. Is yours equipped with the 2.3 liter or 2.5 liter.

Or is it the 2.0L diesel?

I should post an image of my car's odo - quite the opposite. 11 years/less than 90K mi (145K km). And I have probably done more work to my car to boot. You have a real gem. Hold on to it.

A 2008 Mazda5 had only one engine option here in Canada, the 2.3L 4-banger. Super little motor. It feels stronger than it should. I suspect the fly-by-wire throttle programming has something to do with making it "feel' stronger than it really is by opening the throttle more than you think you right foot is asking for. Doesn't matter though, because it is a great little motor. Revs easily and willingly. Never is short of breath. Sounds great when pushed hard. But quiet when not working hard. I've actually caught myself driving 100km/h in 4th gear a few times having forgotten the last shift into 5th and I haven't noticed due to engine noise. It's only when I either pull a hill effortlessly that I shouldn't have been able to, or I actually look down at the tachometer that I notice I forgot the shift.

Oh, as of today I'm just shy of 424,000km. Still running fine. :)

Back