2016 CX-9 blind spot monitoring design issue ?

On my 2016 CX-9, it seems random when/if the BSM goes on when a car is in the blindspot. It doesn't seem to matter if I am passing them or they are passing me, or they are just hanging out in the blind spot - in any of these cases it goes on sometimes, but more often than not, the BSM indicator does not go on. In my Mazda3, when there is a car in the blindspot - it almost always is on. When I bring in the CX-9 for the first service in a month or so I will ask them to look at the BSM system.

in bumper to bumper traffic it won;t light up, I think BSM only functions above 15 or 20 mph. But if you're going above 20mph, it should light up whether you just passed or not, if a car is in your blindspot it's just logical that it lights up. it shouldn't matter if you just passed or not, what if the car that you just passed speeds up and goes as the same pace as you ?
the BSM won;t light up ? IMHO, that would be a weird design. CX9 drivers would be second guessing the BSM system all the time and wouldn;t trust what it's telling them.

You're right. I didn't notice it lighting up until I reached the 30mph speed. Tried to check my system setting for the BSM but it doesn't have one. All I found was the BSM sound setting.

You're right. I didn't notice it lighting up until I reached the 30mph speed. Tried to check my system setting for the BSM but it doesn't have one. All I found was the BSM sound setting.

Yeah, I think Mazda also mentions it in the manual, I think the reason is so it's not constantly on in stop and go traffic. There's no way to change that setting.

Another thing I noticed is the BSM light doesn't light up either side when my vehicle is going 10 mph faster or more than those vehicles beside me. Noticed it the other day when I was at 76 mph and the vehicle I pass through was only running around 60mph. Validated it when I matched his speed and went 68mph and that's when the BSM warning showed.

After having my Signature for a few months now I clearly understand how the BSM works. My system works the same as in the video.
The system is smarter than we are... the light is on only when the vehicle beside you is the same speed or faster. In the video, the BSM knows you are passing the car. It takes into account the speed differential of the other car vs yours. This is the same way that the rear cross traffic alert works... it monitors the speed of oncoming vehicles.

I think the system works well as intended

Another thing I noticed is the BSM light doesn't light up either side when my vehicle is going 10 mph faster or more than those vehicles beside me. Noticed it the other day when I was at 76 mph and the vehicle I pass through was only running around 60mph. Validated it when I matched his speed and went 68mph and that's when the BSM warning showed.

After having my Signature for a few months now I clearly understand how the BSM works. My system works the same as in the video.
The system is smarter than we are... the light is on only when the vehicle beside you is the same speed or faster. In the video, the BSM knows you are passing the car. It takes into account the speed differential of the other car vs yours. This is the same way that the rear cross traffic alert works... it monitors the speed of oncoming vehicles.

I think the system works well as intended

I agree with thugzy.

With a speed 16 mph differential when passing, you should move by the other vehicle at a good clip.
A BSM alert shouldn't be needed since you can pull into their lane almost immediately without risking a collision.

I've adapted to the way it works ... especially since I have the same system in my '16 MX-5 Miata.

I have the same problem

anyone else with 2016 encounter this ?

I have the same problem on my 2016 CX 9 just bought it in March but for some reason the passenger side blind spot only works sometimes even when passing a car or a car approaching your blind spot it wouldn't detect it then after a few cars then it would go on idky though, driver side not problem i took it in today to the dealer they had it the whole day the couldn't find anything they said its normal, I'm like its normal for a car to be in my blind spot and the BSM can't detect it and let me know there's a car in my blind spot is kinda STUPID! I almost got into am accident cause my BSM didn't let me know there's a car in my blind spot when i was trying to change lanes SMH...HOPEFULLY MAZDA has a recall for this BSM seems like its cause an issue....

I have the same problem on my 2016 CX 9 just bought it in March but for some reason the passenger side blind spot only works sometimes even when passing a car or a car approaching your blind spot it wouldn't detect it then after a few cars then it would go on idky though, driver side not problem i took it in today to the dealer they had it the whole day the couldn't find anything they said its normal, I'm like its normal for a car to be in my blind spot and the BSM can't detect it and let me know there's a car in my blind spot is kinda STUPID! I almost got into am accident cause my BSM didn't let me know there's a car in my blind spot when i was trying to change lanes SMH...HOPEFULLY MAZDA has a recall for this BSM seems like its cause an issue....

At the end of the day these systems are meant as an aid and shouldn't be relied upon...even if my current and previous vehicles had BSM I never rely on them and still do the "shoulder check"...once you blame these manufacturers they always have the "out" due to their disclaimer that again these systems are meant as aids and shouldn't be relied upon. As a driver and owner I do agree with you that these systems should work as they're intended to but technology is only good when they actually work and useless when they dont.

Yea, I wonder about future (and current) generation of drivers - can't drive a manual, don't shoulder and mirror check, not actively monitoring as they are driving, hoping the technology will protect them. It doesn't.
I find it helpful when some joker decides to ride in my blind spots at freeway speeds (a big no-no) and it alerts me when I hit the turn signal (another good reason to use that turn signal).

The fact it is HUD integrated makes it much more useful than mirror alone.

I had the same concern when I purchased my 2016 CX-9. Recently I was given a 2016.5 CX-5 as a loaner and noticed the BSM system works the way you expect. As soon as there is a vehicle in your blind spot, whether or not you are passing the vehicle, the BSM lights up. When I got my CX-9 back the BSM doesn't light up at all depending on how quickly I pass a vehicle. My best guess is that Mazda tuned it that way. Not sure why though.

Re CX5 Sport Nav auto. My BSM malfunction sign has been intermittently coming on since I purchased the vehicle new Dec 2016. The dealers can't get get the warning to come up whilst they have the vehicle. On it's first servicing they tried again but unsuccessfully. I have just left it with them again for a couple of days, still no luck. They are so reliant on computers now that logical fault finding is without a computer is a dying art. What can you do? The problem has been going on for so long now and is not relevant to any particular occasion. It can come on at any time. However most of the time stopping the car and switching everything off then starting up again can bring it back to normal. Sound familiar, (I did think of opening and shutting windows-sic)

I've had a 2017 Grand Touring for almost 1000 miles and have had no issues with the BSM. It's my first car with this feature and, compared to nothing, I find it great. Personally, if I am passing a car at speed then I don't really need to the BSM to kick in.....I know where I am based on speed and seeing the car. I think others have said the same thing.

I've had a 2017 Grand Touring for almost 1000 miles and have had no issues with the BSM. It's my first car with this feature and, compared to nothing, I find it great. Personally, if I am passing a car at speed then I don't really need to the BSM to kick in.....I know where I am based on speed and seeing the car. I think others have said the same thing.

I thought the same of how the engineers at Mazda intended for their BSM to function. I've had experience with BSM from my previous Volvo and while that worked OK as it was camera based, this BSM of Mazda is radar based which I found to actually be better than my Volvo's BSM which at times tended to give false warnings.

I had the same concerns initially and noticed that some luxury vehicles BSM will not activate depending on quickly you pass a vehicle. In the CX-5 forums I have been reading there are complaints about that the 2017 BSM system is detecting a vehicles further back than desired for some drivers. I would rather have the system the way it is now on the 2016 CX-9 rather than it being hyperactive. I'm sure it is pretty difficult tuning the system to fix everyone's taste.

My last car was a 2006 BMW X3 that had none of these features (they really didn't exist back then). Before that, obviously, no cars really had them. I've been driving for the better part of 30 years (like a lot of you assume) so, of course, I'm trained in the old fashioned ways of having to check a blind spot or use a rear view to parallel park.

I'm all for these new safety features--they make things easier and safer. For me the CX9 is, first and foremost, a family vehicle. That said, I don't think these features are meant to be used at the complete expense of both common sense and human interaction I know the future we are heading for is fully autonomous and maybe the machines will be smarter than we are.

But for now I'm perfectly content with these advancements as enhancements to the driving skills I bring with me, imperfect and human though they may be.

I use the BSM but when i'm changing lanes and the BSM shows "off" (i.e. no car) I STILL ALSO look to be sure. And I assume any driver who learned to drive before 2015 does the same...

My last car was a 2006 BMW X3 that had none of these features (they really didn't exist back then). Before that, obviously, no cars really had them. I've been driving for the better part of 30 years (like a lot of you assume) so, of course, I'm trained in the old fashioned ways of having to check a blind spot or use a rear view to parallel park.

I'm all for these new safety features--they make things easier and safer. For me the CX9 is, first and foremost, a family vehicle. That said, I don't think these features are meant to be used at the complete expense of both common sense and human interaction I know the future we are heading for is fully autonomous and maybe the machines will be smarter than we are.

But for now I'm perfectly content with these advancements as enhancements to the driving skills I bring with me, imperfect and human though they may be.

I use the BSM but when i'm changing lanes and the BSM shows "off" (i.e. no car) I STILL ALSO look to be sure. And I assume any driver who learned to drive before 2015 does the same...

Well said! I install blind spot mirrors on all of my vehicles, including this one, so I never depend solely on the BSM system. It is a nice feature though.

Latest posts

Back