2016 CX-9 blind spot monitoring design issue ?

anyone else with 2016 encounter this ?

Yes. If I pass a car, the blind-spot monitoring will typically not detect it even if it that car remains in my blind spot. I learned quickly to always look over my shoulder as a precaution. Bottom line -- the BSM never gives a false positive (i.e. never gives a BSM signal when no actual car is there). However, it can give a false negative (i.e. gives no BSM warning, but car is actually there).

However, it can give a false negative (i.e. gives no BSM warning, but car is actually there).

whoa, isn't that a bad thing ? (a physical car is there but no warning) but I guess if the driver just passed the car he would know there's a car there.

the CX-5 has false positive, ie when passing a parked car on the passenger side
it would light up and remain lit even after passing the parked car and there's no physical car there.

I guess the engineers made it less sensitive on the new CX-9 to false positives (ie, parked cars, highway barriers, etc...)

what about the driver's side when you pass does it light up ?

Last edited:
I guess the engineers made it less sensitive on the new CX-9 to false positives (ie, parked cars, highway barriers, etc...)?
From what I can tell, the car must be approaching from the rear to trigger the BSM. So if I pass a car and keep accelerating relative to it, then I typically do not get the BSM signal. If I pass a car, and then decelerate so it begins to overtake me, then the BSM detects it. It is clearly more than a simple signal-if-object-is-there design, since the BSM will not signal at all if I am in the middle lane and approach a stop light with cars on either side. Somehow, it is programmed to know that this is not a passing situation (?).

On a related note, does anyone find that the auto cruise control does not work if there is a car stopped in front of you at a red light? In a normal situation, if I set the auto cruise for 40 mph, then the CX9 will correctly lock-on to the moving car in front of me and decelerates to maintain a safe distance. However, if I am going 40mph approaching a car stopped at a red light, the CX9 seems quite content to have me plow into it at 40 mph. Have others experienced this?

I believe all the new BSM systems on Mazdas are like this. My CX-3 reacts the same way, however, if the car I am passing speeds up, the BSM is triggered. The 2013 CX-5 I owned previously would always come on when passing a vehicle, but it would also come on when passing guard rails, signs and big trees by the side of the road. I prefer the new system as it is more reliable in indicating an actual vehicle being there when it triggers and makes me actually look to see that I am clear of the vehicle I am passing instead of just relying on the system.

I believe all the new BSM systems on Mazdas are like this. My CX-3 reacts the same way, however, if the car I am passing speeds up, the BSM is triggered. The 2013 CX-5 I owned previously would always come on when passing a vehicle, but it would also come on when passing guard rails, signs and big trees by the side of the road. I prefer the new system as it is more reliable in indicating an actual vehicle being there when it triggers and makes me actually look to see that I am clear of the vehicle I am passing instead of just relying on the system.
The newer version from Mazda is called Advanced Blind Spot Monitoring system (ABSM) which is different from the older Blind Spot Monitoring system (BSM).

The newer version from Mazda is called Advanced Blind Spot Monitoring system (ABSM) which is different from the older Blind Spot Monitoring system (BSM).
Yes, I agree. I think it is intended to work this way because while I was test driving my CX 9, the Salesperson specifically pointed out this feature to me. It seems to make sense though.

I see your point, but in split second scenarios, I don't think you want to be second guessing whether there's a car there or not, with the new system there might be a car physically there yet no light or warning.

with the old system at least you know it's always lit when there is a car there, and in the off chance it is lit when there isn't a car, who cares, at least you won't be hitting anyone since there's nothing there

but with the new system if you not paying attention or become lulled into complacency during a long trip you might actually hit a car when the BSM is not lit. I would feel safer adding one of those stick-on tiny blind spot mirrors just to be safe and as an added precaution.

but then again maybe I'm putting too much thought into this, drivers from 70's 80's 90s all drove fine without BSM :) maybe I just need to go back to driving school and stop relying on technology so much LOL

off topic: my friend's new Honda Accord has a pretty cool feature it has a back facing camera on the bottom of the side mirror so when he turns on his turn signal the car automatically shows an image of the rear view on his center dash LCD screen, it's pretty cool.

Last edited:
off topic: my friend's new Honda Accord has a pretty cool feature it has a back facing camera on the bottom of the side mirror so when he turns on his turn signal the car automatically shows an image of the rear view on his center dash LCD screen, it's pretty cool.

My Odyssey has that as well. I turned off the automatic feature of it as I didn't need it to come on when I was making a right turn and I wanted to know if anything was in my blindspot before signalling and scaring the car I was passing so I just hit the button to manually turn it on and off. Probably my favourite feature when I'm on the highway.

When I test drove a Demo Touring Model at the dealer I did notice the BSM only intermittently working.

My own Signature though, I have not had any problems

but in split second scenarios, I don't think you want to be second guessing whether there's a car there or not,

You are right. The ABSM can fail miserably when trying to cut in front of another car in heavy traffic. You never get an indication that it is OK to switch lanes safely since the BSM indicator never shows.

I wish Mazda would offer an option to switch between modes (BSM always on unless triggered off vs BSM always off unless triggered on).

Glad I found this thread. I have same issue with my 2016 CX-9 Signature! The BSM just doesn't come on when there's a car in my blindspot. I also have a 2015 Mazda 3 - and the BSM is very accurate. I can trust that if I put on the turn signal in my Mazda 3, and it doesn't beep - then I'm safe to change lanes. Why isn't this happening on my CX-9 that costs more than double?...

Yes. If I pass a car, the blind-spot monitoring will typically not detect it even if it that car remains in my blind spot. I learned quickly to always look over my shoulder as a precaution. Bottom line -- the BSM never gives a false positive (i.e. never gives a BSM signal when no actual car is there). However, it can give a false negative (i.e. gives no BSM warning, but car is actually there).

I got curious and so I tested/ closely watched this for 2 weeks if my BSM acts like what you have mentioned here and fortunately, mine works as how I wanted it to work. Once I passed a car either on the left or right side of my vehicle, the BSM detects that car and shows the warning both in my HUD and side mirrors.

.......... I have same issue with my 2016 CX-9 Signature! The BSM just doesn't come on when there's a car in my blindspot..........

this doesn't seem right, I would get it checked out by the dealer, maybe they have a way to adjust the sensitivity with their ECU computer, it shouldn't matter if you just passed a car or not, if a car is in your blind spot the BSM should light up in mirror and HUD. Stryker medic's '16 CX-9 seems to be functioning fine.

Once I passed a car either on the left or right side of my vehicle, the BSM detects that car and shows the warning both in my HUD and side mirrors.

Are you saying in bumper to bumper traffic, when you pass a car, your BSM lights up?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are you saying in bumper to bumper traffic, when you pass a car, your BSM lights up?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I haven't tested it yet on bumper to bumper. The slowest speed where I noticed it was around 20-30 miles/hour.

in bumper to bumper traffic it won;t light up, I think BSM only functions above 15 or 20 mph. But if you're going above 20mph, it should light up whether you just passed or not, if a car is in your blindspot it's just logical that it lights up. it shouldn't matter if you just passed or not, what if the car that you just passed speeds up and goes as the same pace as you ?
the BSM won;t light up ? IMHO, that would be a weird design. CX9 drivers would be second guessing the BSM system all the time and wouldn;t trust what it's telling them.

.... mine works as how I wanted it to work. Once I passed a car either on the left or right side of my vehicle, the BSM detects that car and shows the warning both in my HUD and side mirrors.

Here is a 23 second video of how my BSM behaves. My wife shot it from the passenger side. The first 17 seconds shows me passing a car and the BSM does not light up. The same car then speeds up at the 17 second mark and the BSM lights up. I have a few other videos, but the they all show the same thing. View My Video

Here is a 23 second video of how my BSM behaves. My wife shot it from the passenger side. The first 17 seconds shows me passing a car and the BSM does not light up. The same car then speeds up at the 17 second mark and the BSM lights up. I have a few other videos, but the they all show the same thing. View My Video

I think Mazda revised the BSM system with the 2016 CX-9 to a make less sensitive to guardrails or parked cars thus it's not triggering when you pass cars on passenger side,

my 2016.5 CX-5 goes off all the time even when there are parked cars or guard rails on passenger side, but I can basically figure out it's a false warning since I just passed a parked car or guardrail.

So i never doubt it if it's on, I know there's a car in my blindspot. Stryker_medic's 2016 CX-9 seems to work like mine though, if his BSM lights up when passing cars on pasenger side, I wonder if his BSM setting is set to sensitive somehow.

Back