Instrument cluster display n 2016 CX-5 Grand Touring 2WD Diplays Erronious Statistics

sns227

:
2016 CX5
Hello,

I have a 2016 CX-5 Grand Touring 2WD that I purchased 2 weeks ago. I bought it in new in Mexico. I noticed over the weekend, while driving on the highway, that the average MPH was stuck at 20 MPH while I was averaging approx 60 MPH. I also noticed that the current MPG would continues to display MPG values ranging from 15 MPG to 99.9 MPG. There is obviously something wrong with the data that is being displayed. I tried factory reset of the system along with resetting the individual displays by holding the center of the info switch for 2 seconds. I still have the same problem. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Firstly, this's wrong place for your thread. Hopefully Chris_Top_Her would move it to a proper section.

Secondly, are you sure you've pressed the middle of the "Info" button to reset it and see the display goes down to "0" first? The "Instant MPG" is supposed to display the mpg range from 0 mpg to 99.9 mpg depending on the instant fuel consumption. And I don't see any thing wrong with your description.

When you really have doubt, simply bring your new CX-5 to your Mazda dealer for warranty service.

Thank you for your reply. Where is the proper place to post this?

I pressed the middle if the "Info" button. It went to "0" or displayed " --- " (I don't recall which) I am convinced that both the current MPG and current average MPH were reset.

While driving after the reset, the average MPG changes rapidly and randomly from 0 to 99.99 MPG. The average speed usually freezes a number significantly lower that the speed at which I'm traveling.

I do plan to take the car to the local Mexican Mazda dealer where the car was purchased. Hopefully they will be able to resolve the problem. I am convinced that statistics being displayed are wrong.

Thanks again for your input.

I pressed the middle if the "Info" button. It went to "0" or displayed " --- " (I don't recall which) I am convinced that both the current MPG and current average MPH were reset.

While driving after the reset, the average MPG changes rapidly and randomly from 0 to 99.99 MPG. The average speed usually freezes a number significantly lower that the speed at which I'm traveling.

I do plan to take the car to the local Mexican Mazda dealer where the car was purchased. Hopefully they will be able to resolve the problem. I am convinced that statistics being displayed are wrong.

Only moderator can move the thread now once you posted it. There's Read Before Posting! Proper use of the "How-To" Sub Forum on top.

With your more detailed description I believe you do have problems on your MPG / Avg MPH displays. (I thought you guys use metric system in Mexico.) I guess Mazda dealer is the only place who can resolve your issue now.

Sounds like yours is working correctly.

AVERAGE MPG is your average MPG since the last time you RESET the INFO button
CURRENT MPG is your vehicles CURRENT MPG at the very instant.
AVERAGE MPH is your vehicles average speed since you reset the INFO button.

AVERAGE MPG, I use this to see what I got on the tank of fuel, and reset this every time I refill.

Current MPG is only helpful when you are consistent on the throttle, otherwise it will show 99.9 when you let off the throttle, and 8-16 mpg when you floor it.

AVERAGE MPH is useful at the end of a gas tank cycle when refilling to see what your average MPH was over the life of the tank... If you Go 60 mph for 2 minutes, and sit at a stoplight for 2 minutes, your avg MPH will be around 30mph

Last edited:
Thanks again. Mexico does use the Metric System. The CX5 offers the option of using metric or the US system of measurement. I'll get it checked out.

... While driving after the reset, the average MPG changes rapidly and randomly from 0 to 99.99 MPG. The average speed usually freezes a number significantly lower that the speed at which I'm traveling.
Like mazdadude said, there're two MPG displays. You may get confused between Average MPG and Instant MPG. You'd feel Average MPH is significant lower than what you feel it supposed to be. :)

I was traveling at an average of 60 MPH. The Info cluster showed was traveling at 20 MPH.
Looking at the manual, it reads: Average vehicle speed mode
This mode displays the average vehicle
speed by calculating the distance and the
time traveled since connecting the battery
or resetting the data. Average vehicle speed will be calculated
and displayed every 10 seconds.

So does that mean that it is designed to state the average speed the car has traveled since
the last time it received battery power versus the average speed you are traveling since the last time
the ignition was turned on? Many thanks - SNS

I was traveling at an average of 60 MPH. The Info cluster showed was traveling at 20 MPH.
Looking at the manual, it reads: Average vehicle speed mode
This mode displays the average vehicle
speed by calculating the distance and the
time traveled since connecting the battery
or resetting the data. Average vehicle speed will be calculated
and displayed every 10 seconds.

So does that mean that it is designed to state the average speed the car has traveled since
the last time it received battery power versus the average speed you are traveling since the last time
the ignition was turned on? Many thanks - SNS
mazdadude has explained earlier, the Average MPH is your vehicles average speed since you reset the INFO button. Once you hit reset, everything starts from 0. Connecting the battery is like the reset, starts from scratch and calculating until you hit the reset button again.

Did you get confused on two different MPG displays?

System is working correctly... use the info button to reset things to get an accurate picture. Average MPH is kind of useless in city driving because much time is spent at a stop. Instantaneous MPG will be anywhere from 10~99.9 as its read from the fuel computer... this changes all the time as you manipulate the accelerator and gears shift. So not all that useful either.

Back