How to intentionally lock the key fob in the car

Stryker

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 Grand TOuring
I need to have someone drop off my 2016 CX-5 at a location where I will pick it up later. Unfortunately I can't find a way to lock the key fob in the car so I can pick it up later with the second key fob. Anyone know of a way to intentionally lock the key fob in the car or any suggestions?

Thanks.

I need to have someone drop off my 2016 CX-5 at a location where I will pick it up later. Unfortunately I can't find a way to lock the key fob in the car so I can pick it up later with the second key fob. Anyone know of a way to intentionally lock the key fob in the car or any suggestions?

Thanks.

Try wrapping it in heavy duty aluminum foil and put it in the center console.

Since you're pre-planning this, get a piece of aluminum foil and wrap the fob in it. That cuts down the signal enough that I could put the wrapped fob in the bottom of the center console or the pocket behind the drivers seat and still lock the car.

Good idea. I was thinking of some type of foil packet like the toll passes come in. Didn't think about aluminum foil. Thanks I'll give that a try!

Just curious, if you have the second key fob, why do you need to leave the first key fob in the CX-5? If you leave your first key fob in your CX-5 by your friend, how does he lock up the car and leave?

Tried it...no luck.
Is there a little request button on the underside of the hatch lip to the right of the release button? It should be round and should lock the car if the fob is close enough to it.

Sent from the wrong side of the tracks.

Could possibly lock the driver's door using the backup key stored in the fob. Be sure the other doors are locked before doing it.

Could possibly lock the driver's door using the backup key stored in the fob. Be sure the other doors are locked before doing it.
If the second person uses the spare mechanical key to lock the car, the OP still needs to get the mechanical key from friend afterwards. The OP can use his second key fob to drive away and get the whole first key fob from friend afterwards as I've been there and done that. I guess I just don't get the whole process by the OP.

Thanks.

if EZ Pass foil idea doesn't work maybe

remove the battery from the advanced key and leave the un-energized fob in the armrest compartment

then have friend release the cut key from the fob and lock the door manually with the cut key,

then ask him to hide and tape the cut key in a secret location under the car that only you and him will know ?

Last edited:
Is there a little request button on the underside of the hatch lip to the right of the release button? It should be round and should lock the car if the fob is close enough to it.

Sent from the wrong side of the tracks.

this won't work on 2016+ not sure for previous years, if the key is nearby or even in the car; the trunk request button will allow any stranger to press the request button and open the trunk.

try it now, you don't even need to press the unlock button, as long as the key is near the trunk, you don't even need to take the key out of your pocket , just press the request button above the license plate under the trunk Mazda logo and the trunk opens up while all the doors remain locked,

once the key moves away from the trunk the request button won't open the trunk, you don't even need to press the lock button when you walk away after you close the trunk, the request button deactivates once the key is out of range.

Last edited:
There are warnings about accidental locking keys in car if you leave them in the cup holder. Try the foil method and put them there, as there is already iffy signal at the cup holders.

this won't work on 2016+ not sure for previous years, if the key is nearby or even in the car; the trunk request button will allow any stranger to press the request button and open the trunk.

try it now, you don't even need to press the unlock button, as long as the key is near the trunk, you don't even need to take the key out of your pocket , just press the request button above the license plate under the trunk Mazda logo and the trunk opens up while all the doors remain locked,

once the key moves away from the trunk the request button won't open the trunk, you don't even need to press the lock button when you walk away after you close the trunk, the request button deactivates once the key is out of range.

I do not believe he is talking about the trunk open button, but rather the round button that is to the right of the trunk release. Next time you open your hatch, look and you will see one similar to that which is on the driver and passenger doors. Its kindof a hidden button that not many people know about (I always forget it is there too). I do see your point though that anyone could potentially come and open the trunk. Still, that likelyhood is low.

I am not sure if this will work, as the car is generally good about knowing if the keys are inside or not (except in the cupholders as mentioned above) and I presume this button opperates the same way. I do know that unlike the side door ones, the trunk one only locks, rather than switching between unlock and lock

Last edited:
I was told that Mazda will automaticaly temporarily disable the key left in the car so the car can`t be opened
from the outside without the second key....but I haven`t tried this yet.

Last night I simply wrapped the key fob in aluminum foil and placed it in the cup holder and then tried the center console. I was able to hit the lock button on the inside of the door and then lock it both times. So that idea works fine. So I can just give the friend the one key fob, and I can take the second one with me to pickup the car.

Thanks.

Have you tried going oldschool? Lift the outside door handle while pressing the lock button on the inside of the door?

I think I need a little metal container, should most definitely cut off the signal that prevents it being locked inside .
Then all I have to do is press the manual lock near the window switches.

Last night I simply wrapped the key fob in aluminum foil and placed it in the cup holder and then tried the center console. I was able to hit the lock button on the inside of the door and then lock it both times. So that idea works fine. So I can just give the friend the one key fob, and I can take the second one with me to pickup the car.

So your saying tinfoil hats really do work! Grin

Back