Consumer Reports on the New CX 9

Dr. Awkward

:
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
My Consumer Reports arrived today with a test of the new CX 9.
It earned a 76 overall and a 5th place finish in the three row SUV group.
Kia Sorrento is #1, Highlander 2, Durango 3, Pilot 4, and the Explorer is 6th.

The testers liked the ride, agility, fuel economy and luxo trim of the Signature.
Some lows were limited front seat adjustment, tight driving position, and rear visibility.
They got 22 MPG just like the Motorweek gang did in their test.
They also mention the lack of Apple and Android capability.

Funny, my last vehicle was a '14 Highlander and the CX-9 is not even in the same class. So much more fun to drive.
I test drove a Durango and it felt like a tank. Awful.

Yet another horrible reformatting by CR. They "reviewed" the CX-9???!!! It's barely a half a page--no more information that was contained in their "first impressions" video they pushed out last summer. It might be time to cancel. [/RANTOVER] (rant)

Funny, my last vehicle was a '14 Highlander and the CX-9 is not even in the same class. So much more fun to drive.
I test drove a Durango and it felt like a tank. Awful.
Tell us more about the Highlander and the CX-9. I'm in a market and also watching the refreshed 2017. Thx in advance.

Yet another horrible reformatting by CR. They "reviewed" the CX-9???!!! It's barely a half a page--no more information that was contained in their "first impressions" video they pushed out last summer. It might be time to cancel. [/RANTOVER] (rant)
Consumer Reports have had several screw-ups and even made false reports, i.e. Suzuki Samurai and Isuzu Trooper. I cancelled the subscription many years ago. I only check their reliability statistics on used cars which is helpful to car buyers IMHO.

Tell us more about the Highlander and the CX-9. I'm in a market and also watching the refreshed 2017. Thx in advance.

Just drive both and you'll see for yourself!
The CX9 has way more torque and handles beautifully. The interior in the CX-9 is also much nicer in my opinion.

The Highlander is soft and bouncy and feels more like a minivan. Don't get me wrong, the Highlander is very comfortable and not a bad vehicle. It's just boring in comparison when you get behind the wheel.

Last edited:
It's easy to decide if you're looking for reliability、longivety、resale value、and V6 power, choose Toyota Highlander, especially the new 2017 MY. If you want beautiful look、uniqueness、good handling、and a little better gas mileage if you know how to drive a turbo engine efficiently, choose Mazda CX-9.

The most important thing is you do the test drive back-to-back on both vehicles and see which one you like the most!

I picked up my new CX-9 on Friday. I went with the Signature trim in Machine Gray and I love everything about this car. My previous ride was a Highlander. In looking for a replacement, I drove my wife crazy for over a year testing another Highlander, a Pilot, Audi Q5, BMW X3, Lincoln MKX and MKC, Volvo XC90 and XC60 etc. I finally came down to the new Jaguar F-Pace vs the CX-9. Aside from the $20,000+ price difference the CX-9 is a game changer. I love the way it drives and I wanted all the bells and whistles that come in the CX-9. The Jaguar and several other cars nickel and dime you to death with various option packages. On the Jaguar, for example, to get the HUD it was a $900 option, dynamic cruise control was part of a $3200 package and an upgraded infotainment system was part of another $3200 package, roof rails $300. Then in cars like Jaguar the depreciation value drops like a stone. I'm happy with my choice as I play with all the tech stuff and love every moment!

I picked up my new CX-9 on Friday. I went with the Signature trim in Machine Gray and I love everything about this car. My previous ride was a Highlander. In looking for a replacement, I drove my wife crazy for over a year testing another Highlander, a Pilot, Audi Q5, BMW X3, Lincoln MKX and MKC, Volvo XC90 and XC60 etc. I finally came down to the new Jaguar F-Pace vs the CX-9. Aside from the $20,000+ price difference the CX-9 is a game changer. I love the way it drives and I wanted all the bells and whistles that come in the CX-9. The Jaguar and several other cars nickel and dime you to death with various option packages. On the Jaguar, for example, to get the HUD it was a $900 option, dynamic cruise control was part of a $3200 package and an upgraded infotainment system was part of another $3200 package, roof rails $300. Then in cars like Jaguar the depreciation value drops like a stone. I'm happy with my choice as I play with all the tech stuff and love every moment!

That's why it's a good idea to stay away from European luxury badges unless you're very well off, not just a little well off. The base prices on these vehicles are mostly artificial designed to draw you in until you realize how stripped you're "luxury" model is. Japanese luxury brands are setup with much more reasonable packages.

For example, I love the new Volvo XC-90 and you'll notice that it actually starts around $44K. But for Volvo to offer that, they delete the 3rd row of seats, it isn't even AWD, comes a bit underpowered with the 2.0 turbo (non-supercharged). And at $44K, it is missing quite a bit of features found in $44K Highlanders, Pilot's, and all their competitors. So these "non-luxury" models offer more luxury than the luxury badges in base form. As soon as you get the XC-90 in desirable form, it is closer to $65K very quickly.

That's why it's a good idea to stay away from European luxury badges unless you're very well off, not just a little well off. The base prices on these vehicles are mostly artificial designed to draw you in until you realize how stripped you're "luxury" model is. Japanese luxury brands are setup with much more reasonable packages.

As mentioned before, these luxury brands suffer from massive depreciation. That $65k Volvo XC-90 will be worth $15k in 6 or 7 years, equivalent to a $42k CX-9. That's an additional $23k in depreciation in the same time period! Additionally, maintenance and repair costs are much higher, which is probably a large part of the reason for the depreciation.

Personally I'd love to have a 10 year old Land Rover as an extra vehicle but I wouldn't want to put all that money out for repair and maintenance.

On accessories, I put every possible accessory for my CX-9 in a cart from an online site and the total came to $560 (all weather mats, cargo liner, mud flaps, roof cross bars etc). Then over to etrailer.com for a tow hitch and wiring for another $150. Now compare that with the Jaguar F-Pace with $650 for the hitch and the other accessories only available from Jag and I was over $2500. I loved the F-Pace, but being retired my wallet just could not justify what it would cost.

Consumer Reports have had several screw-ups and even made false reports, i.e. Suzuki Samurai and Isuzu Trooper. I cancelled the subscription many years ago. I only check their reliability statistics on used cars which is helpful to car buyers IMHO.

I've gone down the rabbit hole before defending Consumer Reports to the odd few who make unsubstantiated comments/claims about the organization's publication. CR does make mistakes with some of their recommendations, but you can mostly trust their road test/reviews.

Some want to forget that CR purchases ALL their test vehicles and accepts no advertising unlike other publications (Car & Driver, Motor Trend, Popular Mechanics, US News etc.) leaving those naysayers with no good argument that the Consumer Union is somehow biased. That's just bunk!

Do not forget that CR was instrumental in getting ABS systems on all vehicles. They also advocated for electronic stability control although its not on every new car-truck-SUV yet; it becomes mandatory next year. CR was also totally responsible for the introduction of rollover testing. Currently they are advocating for forward collision auto braking systems for every new car. It's working as Toyota will offer a this on ALL new cars next year.

So those of you who haven't discovered Consumer Reports should not be deterred by those who diss this excellent source of information, try to claim it's somehow biased, and then proudly proclaim they ditched their subscriptions and do not consult CR before a new (or used) vehicle purchase.

I've gone down the rabbit hole before defending Consumer Reports to the odd few who make unsubstantiated comments/claims about the organization's publication. CR does make mistakes with some of their recommendations, but you can mostly trust their road test/reviews.

Some want to forget that CR purchases ALL their test vehicles and accepts no advertising unlike other publications (Car & Driver, Motor Trend, Popular Mechanics, US News etc.) leaving those naysayers with no good argument that the Consumer Union is somehow biased. That's just bunk!

Do not forget that CR was instrumental in getting ABS systems on all vehicles. They also advocated for electronic stability control although its not on every new car-truck-SUV yet; it becomes mandatory next year. CR was also totally responsible for the introduction of rollover testing. Currently they are advocating for forward collision auto braking systems for every new car. It's working as Toyota will offer a this on ALL new cars next year.

So those of you who haven't discovered Consumer Reports should not be deterred by those who diss this excellent source of information, try to claim it's somehow biased, and then proudly proclaim they ditched their subscriptions and do not consult CR before a new (or used) vehicle purchase.

Frankly, the reviews I trust the most are people who take the time to add their personal experience as comments on various web sites and the forums like this one where one can see real owner comments and get questions answered. Then in the final analysis, it comes down to how does the car feel, perform and offer the features you want in your next ride.

Frankly, the reviews I trust the most are people who take the time to add their personal experience as comments on various web sites and the forums like this one where one can see real owner comments and get questions answered. Then in the final analysis, it comes down to how does the car feel, perform and offer the features you want in your next ride.

I always browse owner forums but have developed some healthy skepticism for them. Too many trolls or imposters.
Actually saw a couple ferreted out by a Hyundai engineer who joined a Sonata Hybrid forum just after the first Sonata Hybrid hit dealers back in 2011.

The three publications I generally research are Car & Driver, Consumer reports, and US News & World Reports.
IMO these are solid, trustworthy, sources that have never let me down.

backlog,

Glad to see I'm not the only one to cross shop the F-Pace. I love that SUV. Found one that has the options I want for $57K. $799 / 33 lease.

Really like the CX-9, but the anemic AC, lack of Car Play, limited adjustability of front passenger seat (5'2" wife), makes me feel like I am compromising.

But anything is better than my beat up 2004 Acura TL with a dash that's cracked in 12 places, ignition coils that go out constantly and a suspension that needs replacing (drive). Heck, the Sorrento might be just the thing.

Funny story: My EXTREMELY brand / label conscious (shallow) kid glanced up from his phone to see an approaching Sorrento. Seeing the front, he said: Look, there's the new Jag" I told him to look again. He let out a gasp. He said he felt "dirty" and never wanted to speak of it again.

Hi HerbM3,

Since I first drove the F-Pace a few months ago, I was convinced I wanted that car. I was waiting for the diesel to come out to test drive it. It seems that will happen in Nov. While waiting I continued to read car reviews and came across the CX-9. Mazda had never been on my radar screen. Well I had to check out the CX-9 and I really liked it. I had read about the AC and lack of seat adjustment, but I really don't think the AC is an issue. It seems plenty cool for me. As for the seats, they really should have added 2 more adjustments so one can tilt the front up/down, but my wife (5'0") and I (5'10") were comfortable enough with them. On the plus side, the CX-9 has the 3rd row of seats which I had in the Highlander I was replacing. So when it came down to a decision, I looked at the cost of ownership for say 7-8 years and the Jaguar was just not worth the amount it would cost for my needs. At some point down the road, when I have more money than I can spend in my lifetime, a Jaguar may be sitting in my garage. For the moment my 2 antique MGs will have to do for my British car fascination. By the way, they are show winners and if you ever hear of someone wanting a beautiful 1953 MGTD have them contact me. I am keeping the other ('61 MGA) at least for a while.

backlog,

Glad to see I'm not the only one to cross shop the F-Pace. I love that SUV. Found one that has the options I want for $57K. $799 / 33 lease.

Really like the CX-9, but the anemic AC, lack of Car Play, limited adjustability of front passenger seat (5'2" wife), makes me feel like I am compromising.

But anything is better than my beat up 2004 Acura TL with a dash that's cracked in 12 places, ignition coils that go out constantly and a suspension that needs replacing (drive). Heck, the Sorrento might be just the thing.

Funny story: My EXTREMELY brand / label conscious (shallow) kid glanced up from his phone to see an approaching Sorrento. Seeing the front, he said: Look, there's the new Jag" I told him to look again. He let out a gasp. He said he felt "dirty" and never wanted to speak of it again.

Same here, I cross shopped the CX9 with the F Pace (that exhaust sound!) and the XC90, same experience as above: with all the options I wanted, the two others were at 60K and I still loved the interior of the CX9 Signature better!

Latest posts

Back