New CX 9 vs. 2017 Ridgeline

Updates

Consumer Reports most recent evaluation of mid sized SUVs has the the new CX 9 in 7th place.
Predicted owner satisfaction is 4 out of 5.
Road test got 22 MPG.
It is recommended.
My Ridgeline AWD ranked #1 in the compact PU segment with an owner satisfaction of 5/5.
Road test got 20 MPG.
It has averaged 24.8 MPG for the last 4,000 miles.

I and several friends own and owned Hondas, and the quality has dropped and maint cost risen over the past 10 years.
Obviously, they are still reliable and good vehicles, but the price premium I don't think is warranted.

One car has a bad paint shoot on the hood (factory issue). Honda and dealer refused to fix even though it was noticed when car was delivered.
Another had timing belt replacement was super expensive ($1,000+).
They use cheap brake parts and needed new brakes every 20K, and I am "easy" on braking.
On one Accord Hybrid the engine block cracked at 40K (fully maintained, etc - no assistance from Honda, left with $6000 bill).
One Odyssey the sliding doors stopped working, multiple engine function failures, etc., all with less than 50K on it.
Brand new Pilot was a lemon with broken seat motors, computer failures, brake issues. My buddy went through months of hassles and finally had to file under lemon law to get it replaced. Very sour taste from dealer, who he had bought multiple vehicles.

Sure, these are anecdotes, but I'm from an era where Hondas and Toyotas were close to bulletproof. I was shocked to see the drop off from Honda.

The Ridgeline is probably a fine vehicle - if you want a truck, get a truck. Lot's to choose from out there.

According to the survey results from Consumer Reports subscribers, a whopping 86% of new Ridgeline owners would buy one again versus only 67% for owners of the new Taco.
And owner satisfaction by brand has Honda in 6th place just behind Toyota and just ahead of Mazda.
This truck is my first Honda, my dealer does full synthetic oil changes, tire rotation, and a decent wash job for just south of $50.
I remained amazed at the mpg, peppiness, and interior comfort.
It is by far THE most versatile vehicle I have ever owned.

Back