New CX 9 vs. 2017 Ridgeline

Mazda has a Pick up truck.... In Australia. Known as the BT-50

mazda-bt50-dual-cab-xt-aluminium-quickcut.png

It actually did really well when TFL used it to tow at it's max on the Ike Gauntlet.

Yeah.. I saw that review. High speed cooling seems to be fine. Just a little doubt in my mind on the low speed stuff. I'll keep an eye on the Ridgeline forums for the year... some concerns there as well .... hopefully just an anomaly on that TFL test vehicle as I am interested in the vehicle myself.

... Should be getting my Honda truck soon and will update with driving impressions.
Going to miss the CX 5.
It seems pickup truck is getting more popular nowadays. Two out of three sons of my friend both bought Toyota truck lately before the new Honda Ridgeline was available. But they don't live in Texas where majority of the pickup trucks sold, they all are in California! I did recommend Honda Ridgeline but none of them were willing to wait for it coming out.

The only thing I don't like on Honda Ridgeline is the use of timing belt in its V6. Honda's V6 is the only V6 in the US still using the timing belt which requires routine replacement. It's annoying and costly.

CX 9 Similarities with Ridgeline

An observation: these Mazda boards usually show 30 to 60 readers on the CX 9 forum and 60 to a 100 on the CX 5.
The Ridgeline Gen 2 forum readership is averaging close to 200.

Our CX 5 is on a used car lot and the Honda truck has about 150 miles on it.
Some observations on the Ridgeline; left Crown Honda and drove around Greensboro, NC in rush hour traffic.
Made several stops besides Costco and ate at Libby Hill before grocery shopping.
So I got the truck-in-urban-errands mode experience mingled with some stop-n-go at lots of lights and near road construction before hitting the four lane back to Virginia.
22 MPG for first fifty miles.

The RL reminds me of the CX 9; extremely comfortable, peppy, maneuverable, fairly easy to park, and lots of room for stuff.
A 40 lb. bag of kitty litter didn't even start to fill the under-bed trunk.
Love the trunk.

So far voice command has worked very well and we used a USB to pair Edge 7 and engage Android Auto (Mazda needs to get this done).
Drove some at night and LED lo beams didn't get us flashed as some owners have reported, and auto hi beams worked fine.
Interior and bed lights are LED too.

Initially I am very impressed with my first Honda, the dealership, and the deal.
We still have a Mazda 3 hatchback in the family and I will be keeping up with the CX 9 too.

Good to hear. If I were to buy a truck, without a doubt it would be the new Ridgeline, it just makes sense, and I'm not so shallow that I have to buy some kind of a bro-truck because 'Murica.

Comparing a truck to an SUV is odd, some may say but read on.

Motorweek (PBS) had a review of the new CX 9 on its latest program.
Basically they really liked the CX, didn't mention the lack of front seat adjustment and got 22 MPG overall with it. 7.4 seconds for 0 60.
The signature trim was tested and John Davis had nothing negative to say about the interior whatsoever.

I was giving some serious thought (test drove a '16) on checking out a 2017 CX 9 but then discovered the new Honda Ridgeline.
Our RTL E should be delivered in mid-October.
Since the kids are grown we don't need three row seating, we will be trading our CX 5 and selling our '95 Toyota T100 PU, we will move from three vehicles to two.

The Pilot based RL is every bit as comfortable as a CX 9, the AWD gets 21 MPG overall - Car & Driver got 28 MPG in one on a highway loop - and does 0 60 in 6.6 seconds.
Of course the CX drives better, but the RL doesn't feel yuge like some trucks and handles really well in city driving for a PU.
We basically view this vehicle as a Pilot with a bed as does Car & Driver which has an article on it in this month's edition.

Update:
Just under 1,000 miles, last two of three fillups @25 MPG.
Several trips to Greensboro, three BR Parkway runs, three or four home improvement and mower/saw store visits, and two trips to the recycling center.
By far the most comfortable truck/SUV I have driven.

Really enjoying the roomy, comfortable interior on my RL.
Hope Mazda figures out how to improve front seat comfort in the 9, especially the seat height adjust. Just stupid that was deleted.
That would be the deal killer for me on the CX 9 and now that I am so spoiled by the Honda, I am glad I lost interest in the new 9.

An update for the snow sports fans: the Ridgeline AWD is as good as anything out there when it comes to snow.
We went to Snowshoe, WV for two days of skiing and it snowed the entire time, 14 inches in 48 hrs.
We had underground parking 50 feet from the elevator to our 3rd floor condo so no parking issues or digging out.

It was still snowing as we drove off the 4848 ft. mountain on the still snow covered access road after skiing pow most of the morning.
25 miles later, just after we crossed Elk Mt. (4,000 ft.) the snow mostly ended and some of Rt. 92 to I 64 was clear.
Except in the shady spots.
Had to pay attention all-the-way!

Motorweek Awards

Motorweek, hosted by John Davis on PBS, recently gave out its "Best of" awards.
The CX 9 won in mid sized sport ute while the Nissan XD was voted best pickup.

In looking at Explorer replacements I've been all over the place SUV & truck-wise and am thinking the Ridgeline might fit the bill for me. This would be another 20 year vehicle if I bought one.
Ha, Kedis82ZE8, you're really all over the place looking for a replacement of your out-going Ford Explorer! ;) Personally I believe a big SUV with a V8 such as Lexus LX should be the best choice for you. Of course a pickup adds some different cool factor right now. Honda Ridgeline? It's a very nice and unique truck. But the use of timing belt and cylinder management system turns me off! In fact, Honda V6 is the only major car manufacture still using timing belt and problematic cylinder de-activation system on a V6. You don't want the hassle of expensive routine timing belt replacement on a V6 for the next 20 years! (whistle)

I saw that about timing belt yesterday on Ridgeline... it did give me pause. It wouldn't be as big of a deal for me but it appears it is also an interference motor.

EDIT: Toyota/Lexus V8s during the 2000's all use timing belts as well except for the 5.7L they released around 2007. The Lexus GX didn't get a chain until 2010 and the LX got the 5.7L in 2007 IIRC.

Another black mark on the Ridgeline on upper tier models is the Infotainment unit. Watched many videos how slow it can be. It looks like some functions are even slower than unit in my '15 CX-5. It is apparently based on old Android 4.3 (Jelly Bean). It does support Car Play and AA but looking at the lag on things as simple as the audio controls is kind of a turn off. Apparently the steering wheel volume controls have same lag.

Don't get me wrong... Infotainment is not a high priority for me but it appears this one could be a moving & distraction/safety issue just to change a station.

Last edited:
I saw that about timing belt yesterday on Ridgeline... it did give me pause. It wouldn't be as big of a deal for me but it appears it is also an interference motor.

EDIT: Toyota/Lexus V8s during the 2000's all use timing belts as well except for the 5.7L they released around 2007. The Lexus GX didn't get a chain until 2010 and the LX got the 5.7L in 2007 IIRC.

Another black mark on the Ridgeline on upper tier models is the Infotainment unit. Watched many videos how slow it can be. It looks like some functions are even slower than unit in my '15 CX-5. It is apparently based on old Android 4.3 (Jelly Bean). It does support Car Play and AA but looking at the lag on things as simple as the audio controls is kind of a turn off. Apparently the steering wheel volume controls have same lag.

Don't get me wrong... Infotainment is not a high priority for me but it appears this one could be a moving & distraction/safety issue just to change a station.
Since you're looking for a vehicle with big towing capability for the next 20 years, I'd think getting a vehicle which is most reliable and has less big maintenance items are your goal; hence Lexus and Toyota SUVs and pickups are the most likely candidates for you. If I were you I'd pay a little more for a newer MY which has timing chain equipped V8 or V6, and forget about the worries of timing belt replacement altogether.

Unless you're buying a new vehicle, infotainment system shouldn't be a concern as most of them are out of date anyway. You can always install an aftermarket head unit for latest technologies if you really want some new technologies. BTW, modern engines are all interference engine, hence time belt should be gone long time ago!

On the timing belts: The average cost for a Honda Ridgeline Timing Belt Replacement is between $484 and $618 at 100K.
I have HondaCare so if in the rare, rare, case that I have an issue it will be covered.

And this perceived “problem” is not nearly as serious as some would have you think.
I mean, Honda IS the best selling automaker on the planet and I can think of only two real duds from them, the first hybrid and the Crosstour.

Unmatched Versatility

The Honda truck did get this MAJOR award:

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...erican-truck-of-the-year-award-300387652.html

7,000 miles on mine, five ski trips, outstanding in snow.
24.1 MPG cumulative for the last 2,500 miles but I work at it.

Most versatile and comfortable vehicle I have ever owned.
Motor Trend went with the Nissan for their TOTY, a true dinosaur.
Guess they have to appease the many dolts among their readers.

Car & Driver gave it 5 stars
So did cars.com

As far as the Ridgeline sales, dealers can't keep 'em on their lots.

Last edited:
The new one looks more like a pickup truck than the older models which I like. Also is the timing belt really covered under Honda care? I thought that Honda care doesn't cover regular maintenance items. Also I like the Honda care because it is the cheapest extended warranty when compared to mazda, ford and gm. With gm being the most expensive and mazda coming in second by what I saw as far as their price on the website.

The new one looks more like a pickup truck than the older models which I like. Also is the timing belt really covered under Honda care? I thought that Honda care doesn't cover regular maintenance items. Also I like the Honda care because it is the cheapest extended warranty when compared to mazda, ford and gm. With gm being the most expensive and mazda coming in second by what I saw as far as their price on the website.

Timing belt not covered but if it fails before its scheduled replacement, any damage would be covered.
The cost is reasonable to me and not a deal breaker for most as some may imply.
It is not hurting sales of the Honda truck or most any other vehicles in their line up.
The HondaCare is a strong product and this is my first ad-on warranty.

Ha, Kedis82ZE8, you're really all over the place looking for a replacement of your out-going Ford Explorer! ;) Personally I believe a big SUV with a V8 such as Lexus LX should be the best choice for you. Of course a pickup adds some different cool factor right now. Honda Ridgeline? It's a very nice and unique truck. But the use of timing belt and cylinder management system turns me off! In fact, Honda V6 is the only major car manufacture still using timing belt and problematic cylinder de-activation system on a V6. You don't want the hassle of expensive routine timing belt replacement on a V6 for the next 20 years! (whistle)

Such hyperbole!
Practically nobody keeps a vehicle for 20 years.
Timing belt = non-issue as I already explained.
No problems with eco mode when cylinder management is on and it can be turned off.
That's how Car & Driver recorded a 0 -to- 60 of 6.6 seconds, with eco off.

Latest Consumer Reports has the Ridgeline as one of their 10 Top Picks for 2017:
"Innovation abounds in this suburbia-targeted pickup, proving that trucks can be both refined and versatile.
The Ridgeline glides along, more akin to a sedan than its roughneck rivals.
It also handles far better than any compact or full-sized pickup, and it shames all nondiesel trucks for fuel economy.
The Ridgeline isnt up for big-time towing or off-road adventures, but this smartly designed truck more than makes up for that with other benefits.
The lockable in-bed trunk and dual-mode tailgate add to its flexibility.
Many truck buyers dream of a large, rugged behemoth, but the Ridgeline excels at the factors most noncommercial drivers with weekend warrior aspirations will appreciate."

On the timing belts: The average cost for a Honda Ridgeline Timing Belt Replacement is between $484 and $618 at 100K.
I have HondaCare so if in the rare, rare, case that I have an issue it will be covered.

And this perceived problem is not nearly as serious as some would have you think.
I mean, Honda IS the best selling automaker on the planet and I can think of only two real duds from them, the first hybrid and the Crosstour.
Honda can't be the best selling automaker on the planet. It's Toyota in recent years and VW took the crown for a short period of time in 2015. Honda is small comparing to these large automakers.

I have a couple of friends who keep getting Acura MDX's. One always sells his around 10,000 miles avoiding expensive timing belt replacement; the other replaced the timing belt once, and told me the cost is around $1,200 from his Acura dealer. No matter, I just think timing belt shouldn't belong to interference engine. It's a hassle to replace it routinely. It isn't difficult to redesign timing belt to timing chain in a V6. Everybody has converted to timing chain on their V6 and V8 but Honda. Honda is just lazy on this.

I have a very reliable 1998 Honda CR-V with 177,026 miles. I like Honda but I believe Honda is going toward wrong direction for the last decade. New 2017 CR-V seems to turn the tide around a bit and hopefully Honda can go right direction from now on.

You should go to CX-5 sub-forum and join the debate of Mazda (CX-5) vs. Honda (CR-V) ⋯ ;)

Move along; these are not the droids you're looking for.

Hope you are smarter than your two friends who lose big time by trading so soon rather than perform a simple procedure.
That just nuts.
Basically your timing belt argument is remains pretty limp.

As far as taking this to the CX 5 area, well that is a very obvious attempt to deflect because they are not in the same category.
I'll explain that again: this truck is based on the Pilot with which the 9 competes directly.
I traded a 5 on the Honda truck and was briefly considering a new 9 until I drove one.
Front seats way too tight for me and no height adjustment in a $43,000 vehicle doesn't help.
Otherwise the 9 is a fine ride.

So I'm in the right place.

On Honda's future, it's looking pretty good, especially the sales of this truck, the Accord, the Civic, the CR V, the Odyssey, and the Pilot.
The only recent mistake from them was the Crosstour.

Back