2016 CX-9 oil type/interval

:
2016 CX-9 GT FWD
In the manual it just says Mazda oil and mentions Castrol, with 5w30 being required. I didn't see anything as regards to conventional, synthetic, or intervals recommended. Anyone have a link from Mazda or anything?

I posted this question on Bob is the oil guy.
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4189354/1

You are correct, there is nothing specified other than an SAE 5W30.

Since it is a turbo, your best bet is ANY synthetic 5W30. I am running Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W30 and will do 10,000km intervals.
If you want the absolute best protection possible run a European Spec Synthetic 5W30 - Look for ACEA or MB229.5/VW502/BMWLL on the back label. These are the toughest engine oil specs in the industry.

Cheers

Castrol products are good, and no better than any other top quality oil.

I'd pick a synthetic for sure if I drove in either frigid winters or scorching summers. Otherwise, it isn't a bad idea, but isn't necessary. I see upper 90's for five summer months as temperature records, so the syn in summer might be a good idea. With record winter lows in parts of Ontario, syn in winter isn't a bad idea there, either. No problem either sticking with syn or switching to conventional.

Does the maintenance reminder always default to 7,500 miles, or does it run an algorithm that considers long vs. short trips, speed, temperature, etc.? Mine is sticking pretty close to 7,500 miles, but that might be a coincidence...or the default.

From 2016 CX-9 Owner's Manual:

"Recommended Oil
U.S.A., Canada, and Puerto Rico
Use SAE 5W-30 engine oil.

Mazda Genuine Oil is used in your Mazda vehicle. Mazda Genuine 5W-30 Oil is required to achieve optimum fuel economy.
For maintenance service, Mazda recommends Mazda Genuine Parts and Castrol (U.S.A. only).
"

It does say "Mazda Genuine 5W-30 Oil". There's excellent Mazda 0W-20 moly oil available for CX-5 which rated highly from Bob Is the Oil Guy and many UOA reports due to very high content of molybdenum. I'm not sure what kind of "Mazda Genuine 5W-30 Oil" would be available at our Mazda dealer parts department. Be aware Mazda dealers will use the cheapest possible bulk oil available. I've seen some Mazda dealers even use conventional oil, especially there're so many for 5W-30, and that's definitely not good for a turbo engine in CX-9. Make sure to ask for full synthetic oil with ILSAC and GF-5 label even if you change your oil at a Mazda dealer.

All 2016 CX-9 owners, except in Canada, should turn on their oil life monitor with Flexible Maintenance Schedule for oil change. You change your oil when wrench indicator light is ON with maximum interval of 12 months or 7,500 miles. This doesn't limit you to change your oil early if you don't feel comfortable. Just reset Maintenance Monitor after each oil change.

If synthetic was required, Mazda would so state. Whatever bulk oil the dealership buys will be good enough to cover the warranty period--up to 100,000 miles if the Mazda Extended Confidence prepaid service plan is bought. Castrol is an excellent product, no better than any other top brand, and you can be sure BP (Castrol's parent) paid Mazda to put their name in the manual.

If synthetic was required, Mazda would so state. Whatever bulk oil the dealership buys will be good enough to cover the warranty period--up to 100,000 miles if the Mazda Extended Confidence prepaid service plan is bought. Castrol is an excellent product, no better than any other top brand, and you can be sure BP (Castrol's parent) paid Mazda to put their name in the manual.
For SkyActiv-G engines used in CX-5, Mazda has specified using 0W-20 GF-5 oil which is almost all synthetic in the US. If you think you can use conventional oil, which is widely available in 5W-30 viscosity, in a SkyActiv-G Turbo engine, think again! VW made a big mistake when they introduced their first 1.8T turbo in the lineup to the US. They specified 5W-40 oil which is also mostly synthetic. But many owners and VW dealers were using easy-to-find 5W-30 conventional oil and the result was not pretty: oil sludge class-action lawsuit!

Yeah modern oil technology is good and you normally won't get any oil related problems as long as you use specified oil and change it according to recommended schedule. But I'd spend a little more money and use Mazda moly oil instead of this "Preferred Choice" oil used by my Mazda dealer for "standard" oil change. Even if I have warranty, I hate the hassle of finding all the receipts and many days without car to use. And I intend to keep all my cars running for much more than 100,000 miles like my 1998 Honda CR-V!

OSIGGNLxmee7MGaAeTzrpIIpNnnH5-IzifeWCM7jY2iTSI6QSDhXsq0Z2CMppQ1Y4WsLVrRXoKOOhQ=w1024-h600-no

Back