I've grown to value my CX-5...

Most vehicle lose half their value in the first three years. This Mazda of mine with its 2.2 diesel is the quietist I've ever owned and is as well made as many other brands. I had a fiddle with the infotainment in a new BMW the other day and it was rather better than the CX-5.

Glad you get it; some never will.

Looks like Honda and Toyota haven't figured it out yet, either.
2014-KBB-10-best-chart.jpg

https://www.motor-works.com/wp-content/uploads/2014-KBB-10-best-chart.jpg

CR-V is a direct CX-5 competitor...ignore the rest on the chart, but you can't get past that one. It retains 50% of its value even at half a decade...my CX-5 retains half its value at about 1 year, lol

The FJ cruiser is just stoopid. I was looking at buying one and 1-3 year old models with 20-50K miles on them were within literally a couple thousand of new-on-the-lot identically optioned models. Insane. Say whatever you want about the FJ's stupid 3rd wiper or whatever, it's its going to destroy everything for value retained, apparently, lol!

Last edited:
Well it's not just some, but most of the car buyers! CX-5 is the top selling model for Mazda, but its sales figures have been at the bottom batch of the compact CUV catagory in the US for years. Even Subaru Forester sold more units than CX-5 last year. The top three, Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV4, or Ford Escape each out-sold 3 times more units than Mazda CX-5.

I just looked at the sales figures for new Mazda CX-9 for first three months, they're dismal as the August sales is the second worst August since the monthly data available, only better than last year's 8-year-old outgoing CX-9:

Year
Mazda CX-9
U.S. Sales Yearly
in August

Looks like Honda and Toyota haven't figured it out yet, either.
I agree. There's no secret that Toyota's and Honda's normally retain the best resale values. There're still people stopping by and asking me to sell our 18-year-old, 174,416-mile 1998 Honda CR-V from time to time.

I agree. There's no secret that Toyota's and Honda's normally retain the best resale values. There're still people stopping by and asking me to sell our 18-year-old, 174,416-mile 1998 Honda CR-V from time to time.

Exactly, and here I am with my CX-5 being worth less than $15K if I want to trade it in, 1 model year later. That's pretty damn weak.

That said, I bought it to keep. It's my little toaster. An appliance that does the job it was designed to do with no drama, complaint, and very little servicing.

Consumer Reports Info

Make & Model Definitely Buy Again
Subaru Forester 80%
Mazda CX-5 74%
Subaru XV Crosstrek 72%
Honda CR-V 72%
Volkswagen Tiguan 68%
Toyota RAV4 67%

[SUP][/SUP]
Consumer Reports Info
Make & Model Definitely Buy Again
Subaru Forester 80%
Mazda CX-5 74%
Subaru XV Crosstrek 72%
Honda CR-V 72%
Volkswagen Tiguan 68%
Toyota RAV4 67%
Consumer Reports have had several screw-ups, i.e. recommending VW Rabbit new then put it in the "Do Not Buy" list in used; and even made false reports, i.e. Suzuki Samurai and Isuzu Trooper. I cancelled the subscription many years ago. The only useful information is it's used car reliability statistics IMHO.

Exactly, and here I am with my CX-5 being worth less than $15K if I want to trade it in, 1 model year later. That's pretty damn weak.

That said, I bought it to keep. It's my little toaster. An appliance that does the job it was designed to do with no drama, complaint, and very little servicing.

I always sell my vehicles via private party if I can. KBB shows mine currently at this. Considering I paid around $31.8K over two years ago I am fine with that.

EDIT: I don't really care about value though as I will likely still have when it is worth $2500 :)

Screen%20Shot%202016-09-27%20at%203.26.44%20PM.png

Fully decked RAV4 of same year only does a little better.

Screen%20Shot%202016-09-27%20at%203.37.08%20PM.png

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back