Protege5 rear break seizing, but is problem really dual proportioning valve?

WankelFever

:
2002 Protege5
Hi. I have a 2002 Protege5 (with no ABS system), and I'm on my third rear, left brake caliper. They keep seizing up (very hot after I stop driving), and I had thought it was bad remanufactured calipers, or problems with the auto-tensioning system. Anyway, this one is new (just driven on once). When it's not seized, I can adjust it "properly" (turn adjustment gear 1/3 turn back from when pads just grip rotor). Then, pushing the e-brake lever makes the pads grip and release easily, indicating the piston moves well. Then, if I push on the brake pedal a few times and release, there remains a lot of pressure on the pads--so the caliper is seized, right? However, the second I loosen the banjo bolt on the caliper and release the fluid pressure, the rotor spins freely again! So, it seems that the caliper is seized not because the piston is stuck, but because hydraulic pressure remains after I release the brake pedal. All of the other wheels seem normal. It seems that a faulty dual proportioning valve could be the only thing that would affect one rear wheel this way, and I should replace this. Does someone know if this makes sense, or do I not understand how brake systems work well enough?

It's the flex hose. They collapse internally and act as a check valve, even more so if somebody has squashed them with a vice grips in the past.

Great--thanks! My neighbor just told me he's experienced the same thing. It's especially great since the hose is easy to buy, while the dual proportioning valve looks difficult to find... I never would have thought the hose could act that way. I don't think I ever pinched it before, so I wonder what happened to it. Finger's crossed. There are a lot of threads about rear calipers seizing, and I didn't see one where this was suggested before...

Back