6 speed manual backup switch

begwi

:
2013 Mazda 5
Hello. Thanks for reading. Can someone tell me the exact location of the backup switch on a 2013 Mazda 5? I thought it would be on the front of the transmission case, like the 3, but it is not there. I have a European Diesel Mazda 5 with a 6 speed manual. The backup sensors and reverse light stopped working - so I assume it is the backup switch....but I can't find it.

Ok. This is the problem: My Euro Mazda 5 has a different transmission. I have the same transmission as a 2013 Volvo V50, manufactured by Gertras (Germany). That is why both my backup switch and slave cylinder are different than the NA version. I'm ordering the part from Mazda France and will replace it. It sits on top of the transmission, just like it does in the Volvo.

Ok. The 2013 Euro Mazda 5 has the same transmission as a Volvo V50 - which is actually manufactured by Ford.

Here are some photos of the very easy replacement of the backup switch for a 2013 European version Mazda 5 1.6L diesel with a 6 speed manual transmission. Find the backup switch from the top of the motor, underneath the air intake box. The air intake is very easy to remove.

Here is the location of the backup switch, under the air intake box (air intake removed):
ibx98k.jpg

Here is a close up of the switch location on top of the transmission. Disconnect the quick connect electrical fitting, remove the old switch with an adjustable wrench, and reinstall the new one.
11sm8hx.jpg

Here is the new switch, the old switch, and the box - clearly labeled Ford.
ipti6b.jpg

Hope this helps someone else.

For Vasy - yes, for such a new car, I would think it would be under warranty as well, but it was not. At 45,000 miles, I have needed one new fuel injector, a slave cylinder, and now a backup switch. I'm not happy about the quality of the Mazda parts so far.

Hi Begwi - i have a 2013 1.6 D (6 speed) Mazda. The rear camera and reversing light have both stopped working. After working fine for 4 years they began to work intermittently then stopped altogether. i have checked the blub and it seems fine. so i think it must be the switch although i cannot find a relevant fuse to check - is there one? Anyhow i just wondered if (you have one on your model) the camera stop working on your car too? and did replacing the switch fix that too? - thanks

Back