A/C switch failing on #2 position, and on/off on position #3.

Sailingsenses

:
Mazda, Protege5, Stock, 2002
First things first: Air is blowing on all four dial positions/speeds--but the A/C is shutting itself off on #2 and #3 (i.e no green light). It cools very well on positions #1 (lowest) and #4 (highest).

Position #2 does not come up green at all (no A/C), and #3 is intermittently giving me the same problem. If I put some pressure on #3, it tends to stay on, but #2 is altogether shot. On rare occasion, #4 has flickered a bit. Initially, only #2 was shot, but the issue seems to be worsening over time (as expected).

I was going to get the A/C Blower Motor Resistor Switch (part # GE6R-61-B15B), but realized that this is only applies to situations where the dial positions don't blow any air at all.

I understand it's commonplace for the P5 2002 models...so, I'm hoping for some help. The one video I found on youtube is cut off at the wiring portion, which does me no good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZjNHiaHqDg

- What parts do I need to fix this issue? (OEM numbers)
- Is there a video out there? Or, full step-by-step with photos?

Thanks to all!

Last edited:

And then there's my own personal fix using 4 relays...

(I know Hank3 must cringe at the sight of relays now...)

Wow. That's incredible, guys. Thanks for the info. I'm working through the intimidation factor...even though you're saying it's super easy. I was thinking a pigtail assembly or some part you can buy and snap on! It's a full-on RadioShack project. :)

I'll have to put this on the backburner until I figure out more pressing matters with the car...but I'm really grateful for this detail. I do like a challenge.

You can quite easily check the condition of your connector... If it looks like this you've got problems ..

Thanks PCB!

So, in lieu of the RadioShack project (which is awesome sauce, I'll admit), can I just replace that pigtail or whatever that connector is called? What are the relevant part numbers?

I don't have a soldering kit, in which case, swapping out some parts is okay by me...if it comes to that.

Maybe just use these or ones with wires attached (crimped on to good wire) and clean you switch...

No, you cannot just replace the connector.

The only reason you would need to replace the connector is if it is melted like the above picture.
I have an 02 Protege LX and my son recently totaled my 02 P5. Both has this issue and I used the 'radioshack' fix and everything has worked fine for over a year.

When looking for a replacement for the 02 P5 I looked at two different P5s. Both have this fan issue. I ended up buying an 03 P5 and have wired up the radioshack fix but haven't installed it yet.

You do not need to solder anything for this fix. Just crimp the wires together and use electrical tape.

Back