Drop-in replacement for Bose Front Speaker? (2008.5 MS3)

avram42

:
2008 Mazdaspeed3
I've found a bunch of different threads regarding upgrading the Bose audio in the MS3 but pretty much all of those threads are focused on improving the audio. In my case, I am happy enough with the stock setup but unfortunately I have a passenger front speaker that is on it's way out which is forcing the issue. I would gladly simply replace it with another speaker of the same crappy type but the only prices I've seen are ridiculous for a used speaker.

I've done some of my own audio work in the past so I don't have a problem putting in an aftermarket speaker but now the threads about this subject led me down a rabbit hole about needing to get a 2 Ohm speaker (to match the Bose impedance) lest I jeopardize the lifespan of the replacement (or a myriad of other "solutions"). I don't care to spend money to "upgrade" and would be happy if I could just put in a low-level replacement (as good or better) but am now worried the answer isn't that simple. What's the cheapest and simplest way just to get back (or near enough) to "normal", improvement is only optional? I really don't want to need to go to an audio shop to figure this out.

Back