protective film

Xpel has a warranty against peeling, coloring for 7 years, or at least that's what the shop I had mine done at gave me. I paid $2400 for the full hood, full front bumper, full fenders, headlights, Mirrors, A pillars, door cups, 5"s above the windshield,door sills, and rear bumper guard. 26kmiles on it and you can't tell its there unless you really look. I wash and wax it like a normal car.

Crystal White Pearl here. Dealer installed (didn't want it, but already on car when I purchased it) Mazda OEM paint protective film in the usual spots. Not sure who is the actual manufacturer (3M??), but after 14 months no sign of yellowing or other changes in color. The only annoyance I have is how the edges of the film, in particular on the door handle "cups", traps dirt, and of course that's very evident on a white car. When I first got the car, I thought after a week or so that the dirt along the edge of the hood film piece was a scratch, and briefly flipped out before I realized what I was actually seeing.

Soul Red here. The 3M covers partial hood, complete front end including the black bar on the upper grill, headlights, fog lights, and side mirrors. The dealer wanted around $1000 and farm this out to a local shop. If I brought the car there myself it was app $600. Needless to say, the dealer dropped the price in half.

My 2016 CX-5 came with the protective film in the door handle cups and door edges and I hate it. It's turned slightly yellow and collects dirt along the edges which is impossible to get rid of. Looks horrible on my white car. Should it just peel right off ? My car came with it, was it not standard on all CX-5s?

My 2016 CX-5 came with the protective film in the door handle cups and door edges and I hate it. It's turned slightly yellow and collects dirt along the edges which is impossible to get rid of. Looks horrible on my white car. Should it just peel right off ? My car came with it, was it not standard on all CX-5s?

No... extra cost option. Doubtful many dealers do this in-house and subcontract out work.

3M on my vehicle is holding up well. I wonder if they used an inferior version of clear mask material?

Crystal White Pearl here. Dealer installed (didn't want it, but already on car when I purchased it) Mazda OEM paint protective film in the usual spots. Not sure who is the actual manufacturer (3M??), but after 14 months no sign of yellowing or other changes in color. The only annoyance I have is how the edges of the film, in particular on the door handle "cups", traps dirt, and of course that's very evident on a white car. When I first got the car, I thought after a week or so that the dirt along the edge of the hood film piece was a scratch, and briefly flipped out before I realized what I was actually seeing.

Mazda ones are made by Nano Fusion... seems they're now discontinued though

I recommend xpel... good (but expensive) stuff
I didn't bother putting any on my white car because I got it in as an out of town dealer trade... already had rock chips when I got it, so it was already a lost cause

I did import a set of OEM JDM door handle protection films though.... they're a huge PITA to put on (wet application made it easier, but still).... they seem to cover the door handle area better than the USDM Mazda film and most importantly, they could be bought separately (the USDM ones you must buy as a set)

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• door handle protectors.jpg
    door handle protectors.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 273
  • door handle protectors installed.jpg
    door handle protectors installed.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 268
Last edited:
Back