Oxygen Sensor O2 monitor incomplete brand new 2016.5 CX-5

:
2016 CX-5
For those with new cars right off the lot, just giving you a heads up so you don't worry like I did.
I have OCD and everything needs to be perfect (confused).

I make sure everything works right, otherwise I take it back to the dealer and make them fix it.
Anyways, I check my on board diagnostics whenever I buy a new car to make sure everything is in tip top shape,
low and behold the stupid O2 sensor was incomplete.

344s47n.jpg

Called service and they said to keep driving until it sets, anyway, I kept driving and checking but stupid sensor wouldn't set until today ! after I drove over 1000 miles, there must be a pre-programmed setting or something that the car must be over 1000 miles before it sets, anyways just letting you guys know if you come across this......the O2 sensor will set eventually if you drive long enough.

Also, make sure you do a OBD scan before you take it in for emissions testing.

Its not unusual. I replaced an oxygen sensor on a friends honda accord because of a check engine light, and his car was due for inspection. It took about 3 weeks before that car would say the cycle was complete and pass. It more than just a set amount of miles. Its my understanding it needs to be a mix of driving at different speeds before its ready.

Last edited:
Good to know.

I have a couple of OBD2 bluetooth readers and use Torque Pro to monitor everything. I haven't installed one on the CX5 yet but its good to know this as well because I would be calling the dealership as well if I saw this.

For those with new cars right off the lot, just giving you a heads up so you don't worry like I did.
I have OCD and everything needs to be perfect (confused).

I make sure everything works right, otherwise I take it back to the dealer and make them fix it.
Anyways, I check my on board diagnostics whenever I buy a new car to make sure everything is in tip top shape,
low and behold the stupid O2 sensor was incomplete.

344s47n.jpg

Called service and they said to keep driving until it sets, anyway, I kept driving and checking but stupid sensor wouldn't set until today ! after I drove over 1000 miles, there must be a pre-programmed setting or something that the car must be over 1000 miles before it sets, anyways just letting you guys know if you come across this......the O2 sensor will set eventually if you drive long enough.

This is good to know, thanks Tomcat! just got a 2016.5, and sure enough O2 sensor incomplete right off the dealer's lot, I would have been all over the dealer for this, but now that I know, I'll keep driving until it sets, Thanks again, much appreciated.

Called service and they said to keep driving until it sets, anyway, I kept driving and checking but stupid sensor wouldn't set until today ! after I drove over 1000 miles, there must be a pre-programmed setting or something that the car must be over 1000 miles before it sets, ...
Just curious if this is the case how can we get emmision test inspection sticker for our new car? Those tests are using computers hooking up to the State, you can't easily override the incomplete status on O2 sensor.

Just curious if this is the case how can we get emmision test inspection sticker for our new car? Those tests are using computers hooking up to the State, you can't easily override the incomplete status on O2 sensor.

In some states, you're allowed 1 or even 2 monitors not ready and still pass.

For new cars, I think they make an exception since they don't expect manufacturers to drive hundreds of miles of drive cycles on brand new cars to set monitors.

The thing is you want to make sure it's really just a monitor not set and just need more drive cycles.

Sometimes O2 monitors are really faulty but don't throw codes and there's a risk of running "rich" fuel/air mixture that will prematurely ruin the catalytic converter because of the excess fuel mixture.

In some states, you're allowed 1 or even 2 monitors not ready and still pass.

For new cars, I think they make an exception since they don't expect manufacturers to drive hundreds of miles of drive cycles on brand new cars to set monitors.

The thing is you want to make sure it's really just a monitor not set and just need more drive cycles.

Sometimes O2 monitors are really faulty but don't throw codes and there's a risk of running "rich" fuel/air mixture that will prematurely ruin the catalytic converter because of the excess fuel mixture.
The new car State emission test report by our Mazda dealer is in glove compartment. I can check and see what the report says when my wife gets back from work with her CX-5.

Back