Guide DIY vertical cargo net

:
2016 CX-5
never understood why the CX-5 doesn't have one, I've seen the OEM flat cargo net but find it useless for grocery bags.

so I installed a vertical cargo net myself, extremely easy, some drilling is required. I popped the tail light access panels to make sure

I didn't drill into any wiring and also to install the flat washers and nut, see pictures and link.

I find the vertical cargo net very useful for grocery bags, hanging wet towels after swimming, etc.

The CX-5 already has loops on the bottom side, I only had to install the two top net hooks ($1.99 for 4 pack)

The set came with self tapping screws but I replaced those with a bolt and nut instead which is less prone to failure

than the ones that just screw into plastic.

I had an existing cargo net from a 2005 Highlander but you can get universal cargo nets on Amazon.

2d1jy49.jpg

2qjvdpz.jpg

16izmkl.jpg

29upqps.jpg

258192x.jpg

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Last edited:
Awesome idea. I've been thinking about this for awhile but when I felt around back there (to put the washer and nut) I didn't feel there was much space

Awesome idea. I've been thinking about this for awhile but when I felt around back there (to put the washer and nut) I didn't feel there was much space

Thanks, if you see my locations for the net hook there's enough space back there to work with, just drill adjacent to the taillight panels like I did do you don't have to reach far deep into the back panel. Already works great for the first grocery run LOL , wife loves it,(eekdance)

I have one on my CX-5, but I have it on the back up against the seats. Didn't need to drill anything either. I used the bottom hooks that are there and used the seat latches for the top ones. They dont get in the way of moving the seats up and down at all.

Hey Tomcat can you measure the height and width of your net (the usable space not including the elastic hooks) Thanks

Hey Tomcat can you measure the height and width of your net (the usable space not including the elastic hooks) Thanks

Hey Silver, I just ran outside to measure, it's measuring 42" wide x 15 " high (usable space not including hooks) , I took it off my old Highlander, this is the exact same net in the links below, you can get something close to it for cheaper, but the OEM Toyota quality is pretty good, 11 years old and still looks brand new Toyota p/n PT347-48041

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Last edited:
I have one on my CX-5, but I have it on the back up against the seats. Didn't need to drill anything either. I used the bottom hooks that are there and used the seat latches for the top ones. They dont get in the way of moving the seats up and down at all.

Great idea as well without drilling, but actually I tried this before and my wife hated it, she said it hurt her back to reach in so deep and lift heavy items like milk and water while her back was arched. I was really baffled why Mazda didn't put in hooks for a cargo net by the trunk lid, seems like a standard requirement for any SUV.

Also, I go swimming in the morning before work so I couldn't hang the wet towel to dry against the seat back in fear of mold and mildew on the car seat backs. Now I can just let it hang and dry while I'm at work.

Last edited:
Hope Chris_Top_Her can consider moving this thread to "How To" section later.

I did this as well.

great idea Tomcat, thx !!

I did the "cargo net adjacent to seat back" idea first so no drilling as shown in link below for my wife's CX-5 for grocery bags..... she said good idea but hurts her back to reach in so deep with bent back and lift out the grocery bags especially heavy gallon milk, water, etc.
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123834424-CX-5-Cargo-Net-solutions&highlight=cargo

so I just bit the bullet and drilled two holes and made it like yours moved the net closer to the outside edge, she loves it now.

Hmmm, have the one that lays flat in the P5 but this mod looks like the thing to do if I want to have vertical setup like this. Already have the vertical net from the wife's RAV4 she doesn't use so this could give it a new life.................

I just bought a new 2019 Cx-5 Grand Touring Reserve with the new Turbo engine. I cannot believe that the hooks are not standard. They are standard on Toyota, Kia, Ford, Subaru, Mercedes, Lexus and many other SUV's.

I am really disappointed that now I have to get my husband to drill holes into my brand new vehicle so my groceries don't slide all over the place.

Mazda can do better and should!

I would like to follow tomcat1446's suggestion and install a cargo net in my 2019 GT-R. However it does not appear to have removable access panels for the tail lights. There are vents in the plastic trim just below the seatback latches but I looked at them pretty carefully and they look like they are molded in and don't snap out as a panel.

The current gen RAV4 and CR-V, top 2 CX-5 competitors don't have provision for a vertical cargo net either. My 2012 RAV4 had one, go figure...I kept it and installed it on the backseat latches like someone did here on post #4. I've had a vertical cargo net for the past 30 years in all my vehicles!

Back