Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Autolock not always locking

Donated: $15

CX-5 Touring 2016.5

I lock with fob always. Unlock with button. But i have similar issue with trunk lid. I walk with fob in pocket and try to open it and it opens.( Note i do not press the trunk unlock button at all).
    Is this normal?

Registered Member
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 GT FWD, 2015 Mazda 3 Touring

Quote Originally Posted by Kaps View Post
    I lock with fob always. Unlock with button. But i have similar issue with trunk lid. I walk with fob in pocket and try to open it and it opens.( Note i do not press the trunk unlock button at all).
    Is this normal?
    The hatch button works as the other buttons.

Registered Member
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 GT FWD, 2015 Mazda 3 Touring

Quote Originally Posted by CraigW0LV View Post
    For all of those who are having problems with the Walk Away Locks....

Mazda is in the process of REPLACING MY CAR ON THE LEMON LAW. You all should be complaining to Mazda NOW so they can fix the problem with their FLAWED system. Every other car manufacture has figured it out.

If it does not work 100% o the time then they should not sell the system.

Start complaining now to get your car fixed or replaced. You paid $30+K for your car and EVERYTHING should work as described all of the time, not just part of the time.

Based on my experience in talking with the Manufacturer Rep here in CA, they do not think they have a problem as they tell me they have had no complaints about it to this point.

They replaced the sensors on the door handles and it still has a problem. Mine happens about 1 in 10 or less.

Make sure you get the manufacture rep involved. If you do not, they will not know as everything will be kept at the dealer service dept. If the locks do not work as described, the DEALER should pay you back for what was stolen if you have been broken into. PLAY hard ball it's not your fault.
    Little of what you wrote here is realistic.

Donated: $15

CX-5 Touring 2016.5

Quote Originally Posted by craigo View Post
    Little of what you wrote here is realistic.
    I think he is 100% on money. I complained to my Mazda Rep on how the AC vent chrome trims were going to kill me one day, they are offering me an upgraded Trim (any color choice) GT + $5000 or a 2017 one when it comes out.

I will take a the GT once I come back from my vacation to Syria.

Registered Member

2016 Mazda CX-5 Touring

To be honest I've never used this feature. Is it on my 2016 Touring? I carry my fob in my pocket, and just hit the lock button on the driver's arm rest as I'm getting out. Only seldom do I use my fob to lock my CX-5. I never doubt whether mine is locked when I hit the button; it's just a natural part of exiting my vehicle.

Registered Member
    Donated: $25

Mazda CX-5 2015 GT AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Kaps View Post
    I think he is 100% on money.
    I don't. Replacing the car is the "nuclear option" and should be reserved for a defect that seriously reduces the usability and value of the purchase. Your Mazda has more than 100 features. Some of critical and the car is useless without it - engine, brakes, windows, doors, etc. Virtually nobody would put auto lock in that category. It's unreasonable to expect a company to give you a new car because the auto lock doesn't work 1 in 10 or 1 in 20 times.

I can see getting an allowance of some kind, but the whole car? I doubt you'd replace the entire car if you were the company that made the car and were responsible for the costs. These are the kinds of expectations that drive up the costs of cars.
    Cars I've owned:
    2015 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD 2.5 2010 Mazda 3 GT Hatch 2.5
    1995 Volvo 854 Turbo 1988 Mazda MX-6 GT Turbo
    1980 Audi 4000S 1976 Mazda RX4 rotary
    1974 Fiat 124 Sport Coupe 1973 Mazda RX3 rotary
    1970 Volvo 144S 1967 Rover 2000TC
    1962 Fiat 1200 Spyder 1958 Mercedes 190
    1958 Austin A55 1957 Sunbeam Rapier
    1951 Rover 75

Registered Member

2016 Mazda CX-5 Sport AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebit View Post
    I don't. Replacing the car is the "nuclear option" and should be reserved for a defect that seriously reduces the usability and value of the purchase. Your Mazda has more than 100 features. Some of critical and the car is useless without it - engine, brakes, windows, doors, etc. Virtually nobody would put auto lock in that category. It's unreasonable to expect a company to give you a new car because the auto lock doesn't work 1 in 10 or 1 in 20 times.

I can see getting an allowance of some kind, but the whole car? I doubt you'd replace the entire car if you were the company that made the car and were responsible for the costs. These are the kinds of expectations that drive up the costs of cars.
    +1

Registered Member

2015 CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

FWIW, I haven't had the door locking issue for a couple of weeks - I did two things that may have resolved it and am not sure which. I replaced the batteries but as one poster said, if having it in your pocket was sufficient enough to unlock the door why wouldn't it lock - but hey, weak batteries can cause all kinds of fun.

The other one that may be more likely is I replaced a cellphone that I kept on my belt (old school I know) with a newer one that I keep in my suit pocket. So the phone is not as close to the keys anymore.

I hope that one of these two options helps others - it is nice not to have to take your keys out. I would think soon we would just have fingerprint locks and start buttons and then no more keys (or batteries).

'18 Sport AWD

I had a new CX-3 last December which for many reasons was graciously replaced with a new CX-5 this past March. Mazda was very understanding and cordial about the whole thing.

But there are still many little irritations about these vehicles. For instance, the Bluetooth range is a joke: if you are more than 4 feet from the vehicle, the system does not see your phone and will not connect. I had the car running last week, went to get something in my house, came back, got in, and the stupid BT wouldn't connect my phone. My Cadillac has a BT range of 50 feet!

Yes, I've had the "I think I'll lock your doors now, but then again, maybe I won't" issue since getting this CX-5. Sometimes it's based on where you are. If I go to my Starbuck's, for some reason, it won't lock. Of course the system is set up so that if you get out and walk around back, that rear sensor knows you're still near the car and won't finish the locking process. But if you get out and go around the front of the vehicle, it will finish the locking process.

It's quite annoying since you're "trained" by the idiosyncrasies of the vehicle to listen for that second beep to ensure the doors locked. If Mazda is going to offer a way to auto-lock, it should work consistently.

UPDATE...just went out to unsuccessfully update Gracenote (guess the dealer has to do it). Got in the passenger side and when I got out and walked away, no locking sequence. Doors remained unlocked until I use the fob. Dumb ass car.
    Last edited by blitzebill; 12-03-2016 at 04:07 PM.
    2016.5 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD Blue Reflex Mica, 2016 Cadillac ATS-V Sedan Vector Blue, 1990 Mazda Miata MX-5 Mariner Blue

Registered Member

2016 CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyd View Post
    I had the same issue (occasionally not autolocking). I disabled the feature and now lock manually via the keyfob or button on the door handle.
    I just got a 2016 CX-5 Sport and am desparately afraid my girlfriend will be locked out by this stupid feature.

Can you explain how to disable it? Can't find it in the manual.

2017 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2016 Mazda6 iGT, 2014 Mazda3 sGT hatchback

If a key fob is inside, the system will not lock.
    2016 Mazda6 iGT + Tech Pkg
    ....Sonic Silver Mica / Parchment
    2014 Mazda3 sGT hatchback
    ....Soul Red Metallic / Almond

Registered Member

2016 CX-5

I believe you mean if it's inside AND RECOGNIZED. Some have been locked out in error so there is an issue.

I can easily do without this push buttom ignition (and the expensive keys that come with it), all the auto-lock features and this one in particular. I'm old school. But, we bought this car so I'm working around it's "deficiencies".

Registered Member

2018 CX-5 Sport

Quote Originally Posted by artm View Post
    I believe you mean if it's inside AND RECOGNIZED. Some have been locked out in error so there is an issue.

I can easily do without this push buttom ignition (and the expensive keys that come with it), all the auto-lock features and this one in particular. I'm old school. But, we bought this car so I'm working around it's "deficiencies".
    The Sport trim does not have this feature. You have to push the buttons on the FOB to lock and unlock the car.

ZOOOOOOOOOM ZOOOOOOOOOOOM mazdadude's Avatar

'16.5 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD, '05 PRIUS

Simply turn off the autolock feature in the car's settings, and just use the fob, or use the lock lever on the door, or use the electric lock switch on the door.

Mazda's I have owned over the years. (boom07)
    80' Mazda GLC SPORT MT - sold
    81' Mazda 626 DX MT - sold
    81' Mazda 626 LX AT - sold
    82' Mazda 626 DX MT - sold
    82' Mazda 626 LX AT - sold
    85' Mazda 626 LX MT - sold
    87' Mazda 626 GT Turbo MT - sold
    85' Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE MT- sold
    87' Mazda RX-7 Turbo 2 MT - sold
    91' Mazda Protege LX MT - sold
    92' Mazda MX-5 Miata MT - sold
    93' Mazda MX-3 GS-V6 Special Edition MT - sold
    00' Mazda 626 LX-V6 MT - sold
    02.5' Mazda Protege5 MT - sold
    92' Mazda MX-5 Miata MT - sold
    06' Mazda 5 Touring AT - sold
    13' Mazda CX-5 Touring AT - sold
    14' Mazda 3i Grand Touring MT - sold
    15' Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD AT - sold
    03' Mazda Protege5 AT - sold
    16.5' Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD AT - current
    09' Mazda Mazdaspeed3 GT - current

Registered Member

2018 CX-5 Sport

What is nice about the push button ignition is, you can unlock your house without turning the car off, that is, if you have your house key on the FOB keychain, and you can start the car really fast. Hit the button as you are putting your seatbelt on. Another nice thing is you won't accidentally key your car or scratch the dash from hanging keys from the ignition.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast